Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#73240 - 02/29/04 09:23 AM Madrid: Meeting people?
QueenBeeNY Offline

Hi, I am in Spain studying, I have been here for a month and haven´t met many English speaking people, are there certain places that are good to meet people? Anyone have any thoughts?

#73241 - 02/29/04 10:05 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi QueenBeeNY!

First question: WHERE in Spain are you studying? Your answer will help us better direct you to places to meet people.

Second question: WHAT are you studying? If Spanish, wouldn't it be better to NOT speak English for as long as possible?

Suggestion: Depending on your location (I imagine you're not willing to drive to the other side of the country just to talk to people in English), scan down the topics in this (I've moved your topic here) "Classifieds & Personals" forum and look for the many topics on Get Togethers or Meeting People. Seems there was even a recent thread about meeting people to speak English in... where was it.... Anyway, take a look.

Also, if you like "Put Out The Call!" in a new thread with a date or a weekend when you'd like to schedule a get together with "board members" and if there's anyone available and happen to be in or visiting your city (remember, this is an ALL SPAIN message board) then Voila! But in that new thread, be sure to include your city location so that people know where you are.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73242 - 03/02/04 09:58 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
jdowney Offline

Loc: Newport Beach, Ca. 92663
Dear QueenBeeNY,
You can always go to the Irish Pubs to meet english speakers but there are two other places that I recommend..... Petra's International Bookshop and J&J's Bookshop. Both places are listed in the InMadrid paper (free monthly) and many english speakers from all over go to both bookstores to have cafe, read and meet others.

#73243 - 03/02/04 10:02 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

jdowney, you're assuming QueenBeeNY is in Madrid and she hasn't mentioned that fact yet. You know what happens when we assume, don't, you? wink I'm sure everyone entering this message board has seen all over that this is an ALL SPAIN Message Board and not just for Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73244 - 03/03/04 09:55 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Hey MM, some of us remember Queen Bee from her earlier posts in the Study area where she said she was going to Madrid (only after you asked her!).

#73245 - 03/03/04 10:38 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yes ChrisR. I know what you mean. My questions such as these are more "prompts" than anything. I too remember her past postings but the vast majority of those reading her postings aren't likely to either remember or know in the first place so imagine their confusion in wondering where she's talking about. Alas, this sticking point isn't likely to change anytime soon, I'm afraid. Maybe I should add a "pass through" page... aha! Maybe that's it! A kind of "reminder page" that states just that - that this is an ALL SPAIN message board and not just for Madrid... I think I'm on to something! That should get the point across but... oh who am I kidding... rolleyes Expect that "pass-through" page by the end of the weekend, though.

Saludos, MadridMan

#73246 - 03/07/04 08:26 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
QueenBeeNY Offline

Hello,

Yes I am in Madrid, near Sol. I am studying spanish but would like to speak English to people besides my roommates...I have been to a few irish pubs but maybe just not the right ones....any places y´all enjoy? =)

#73247 - 03/07/04 08:53 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'll update your subject line to indicate the city location. Thanks for the clarification! smile

#73248 - 03/07/04 09:59 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting people?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
This goes back two years, but I expect it is still true. I found the Starbucks near the Fuente de Neptuno filled with Americans. I would go in there for a morning coffee and a napolitana de crema and I could speak English all I wanted. I even saved a woman from Kansas City from missing her flight home. She was sitting in there with her bags having a grand ole time, and I asked when her flight left. When she told me, I let her know that the baggage screening took a long time for flights directly to the U.S. She jumped up and rushed out to grab a cab....

Buena suerte

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments