Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#73218 - 02/14/04 12:53 PM Madrid: Problem Meeting People
DanaD1966 Offline

Loc: Medford, Oregon USA
Hello,

I have been in Madrid for three weeks now as both a student and tourist. This is my first time in Spain, and I truly enjoy it. I´ve had a couple of unfortunate incidents, one of which included a man slapping me in the face to try and steal my cell phone. This occurred in Sol, but luckily, I got my phone before he did! The other involved a man on a motorcycle, who rode up on the sidewalk and stole the purse right off the shoulder of my friend. Fortunately, she didn´t have too many valuables in her purse. I have had so many more nice days than bad, that these situations truly will not ruin my experience.

My "problem" isn´t severe. I´m just finding it difficult to grasp the language, and miss talking in English with people close to my age! I´m probably a bit homesick! I am a young 37 year old, who doesn´t mix real well with the younger night-life! I´ve been out with my friends, and have had a great time, but miss my age-group! I enjoy food and drinks, but hate doing that alone. I´m not looking for romance, just wish to meet up with others who would enjoy saying hello. Especially from the US!

Is there a group that meets, or anyone interested in coffee, food, chat, etc.?

Thank you!
Dana

#73219 - 02/14/04 01:56 PM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi DanaD1966!

Just "Put Out The Call" to get together here in the "Classifieds & Personals" section. I'm sure there are always people wanting to get together in Madrid, maybe make daytrips with you to Toledo or other nearby villages, and/or may not necessarily want to go clubbing.

While I don't know for sure, I imagine you're in Madrid to learn the language, correct? The best way to do this is to BE WITH SPANIARDS and speak Spanish. There will ALWAYS be time - the rest of your life - to speak English and be with others of your like kind. Take advantage of this oportunity during this brief period in your life. You'll be glad you did.

However, I'm sure there are a number of English speaking Spaniards reading this now who would love nothing more than to meet new, non-Spaniards. And probably even some in your age range or older!

It takes time to learn a new language, that's for darn sure. And I know how your head swells when you're ONLY speaking in that other, new language. It can be very frustrating and tiresome.

So "PUT OUT THE CALL" here and coordinate a get together for drinks or tapas or coffee or just to take a walk. I understand spring has come early for Madrid. Take advantage of it and get yourself outside!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73220 - 02/14/04 02:11 PM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I understand where you are coming from. I have a few suggestions. I don't know if you are living with spaniards, but if not you should consider this. There are many apartment in spain and the thing is it is not uncommon for a 25 year old to be living with a 35 year old, it will also vastly improve your language skills. When I was in sevilla(i am 34)last year most of the people in my program were 19-23.I still hung out with them and we did have fun, but you want someone at your level. I don't think you should limit yourself by saying I am not into this or that. You are in spain now. Experience everything that you can. La march is a very important part of night life in madrid.Madrid has great clubs. Fortuny, gabanna,joy eslava ,Kapital.la Terraza at abc in serrano is a great place when it is warmer.Cafe jazz populart is a great place for jazz(huertas 22) another thing you can do is get an intercambio.There are definitely many americans and brits living in madrid. It is just a matter of time before you meet them. The most important thing is to spend time with spaniards.Good luck!

#73221 - 02/14/04 04:00 PM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Dana -- I just sent you a PM but am also posting here just in case there are other interested women.

I organize a monthly women´s dining club here in Madrid. We get together once a month to dine in a relatively economical restaurant (we try for under 20€), usually the second or third Thursday of the month.

Right now, there are about 50 women signed up on the email notification list and we average 10-15 women per month for dinner. The women come from all walks of life and two other posters to this board (PIM and Castiza) participate.

The age range of the women is from 25+. Most are living here in Spain on a permanent basis. We carry on in whatever language seems to predominate at the meal..English, Spanish...or any other one! The women are from all over the world.. Spain, England, USA, Sweden...just to name a few countries!

If you or any other woman reading this post would like to join the email notification list send an email to madridchicas@yahoo.es!

Saluditos!

#73222 - 04/25/04 03:49 PM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
la calma Offline

Loc: Germany
Hola to Dana!

How are you? have you found some companeros o companeras? I will be in Madrid next week and since I am travelling alone I would love to get together with a few people. I am turning 36 and I am treating myself with going to Madrid for my birthday. If you want to get together for a coffee or tapas, just send me an email.

Hola to Chica!
I already sent you a PM befroe I read about your dinner meetings. Is there one between May 1st and 5th? And are visitors allowed? Sounds like something I would love to attend...
Saludos,

la calma

#73223 - 06/15/04 04:38 AM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
april29 Offline

Hola... Chicas! I'm 30, I'm new on this board, I live in France but I love Madrid above all and I'll be there on the 2 last weeks on August. I'd be happy to meet other Madrid lovers, will anyone be there at that time? Best regards to you all. PS : Chica, I'll send a message to the madridchicas for the mailing. Thanks.

#73224 - 06/15/04 02:56 PM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi april29 ... I´ll look for your email to add to the list. We usually meet for dinner the second week of the month... however, post a message to this board too... certainly if you post, someone will meet you!

I actually had a really nice lunch with La Calma when she came to town for her birthday.

Dana... how is it going with meeting other people? Hopefully you have been successful!

#73225 - 06/16/04 04:11 PM Re: Madrid: Problem Meeting People
april29 Offline

Thank you Chica, I hope next time I'll come there will include your usual meeting day. Best wishes. PS: Nice web site you have! do you teach english in Spain? I'd love some volleyball iberenglish, looks great :-)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments