Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7319 - 08/10/04 01:40 PM Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
Blossom Offline

Loc: Bath, UK
I have just booked our flight to Madrid for 5 nights over the New Year. This will be our first visit to Madrid, although we have been to Barcelona, Valencia (Gandia), Mallorca etc. We usually stay in Hotels and take breakfast in the hotel.
I really like the look of the Hostal Adriano , especially after reading the reviews here. Is it suitable for a young-at-heart fifty-something married couple? Would some other Hostal be more suitable?
Where is the best place to have breakfast near the Adriano?

#7320 - 08/10/04 02:31 PM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've yet to have the pleasure of staying at Hostal Adriano but, as you've read and, as I've seen for myself through the numerous tours of the "hostal" it is everybit as nice as it appears on their website - in fact, probably nicer.

Another good thing is that since you'll be going for New Years they'll likely have their elevator installed by then - knock on wood. Now, the 5-story climb might be prohibitive for some people. I'd have to say (again, not having stayed there myself) that Hostal Adriano is at the top of their class and is shown by the quality, style, decoration, and even price of their rooms. They're more expensive than most "hostales" but the extra is definitely worth it - and they're still MUCH cheaper than hotels.

I'll leave the "Where to eat breakfast nearby?" question to others who've stayed there - but I know there are handfuls of options.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7321 - 08/11/04 09:31 AM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
There is a little place two doors down from the Hostal Adriano that has great cafe con leche, and many breakfast items. I personally enjoyed a huge piece of toast with butter.

I am in your age category and loved the Hostal Adriano (April 2004).

Have a nice trip.

#7322 - 08/11/04 12:40 PM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
I'm also in your age category...and stayed,pleasantly, at the Hostal Bianco II .

Would I return? YES!

Sheryl

#7323 - 08/11/04 05:15 PM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
Blossom Offline

Thanks for the replies.

Alberto tells me he hopes the lift will be finished by New Year

Sheryl, I had seen your review of the Bianco II, and that was next on my list after the Adriano, and it is slightly cheaper. Do they have a safety box in each room or only at reception?

Thanks again

#7324 - 08/11/04 07:46 PM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Yes, they had a safety box in all rooms. I didn't use it though. I had travelers checks, always safe, and the jewelery I brought, mostly, I wore...except for some gold earrings which I kept in a bag in the closet. I came home with everything. The staff keeps a watchful eye on people entering the hostal.

They give you your own key...to the building, the hostal and to your room.

Sheryl

#7325 - 08/17/04 04:57 AM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
Blossom Offline

I have now booked the Hostal Adriano. I am sure I will have lots more questions nearer the time of our visit.

Thank you.

#7326 - 08/17/04 05:04 AM Re: Madrid, Hostal for 50 something married couple
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
New Years is a great time to visit Madrid. The Christmas decorations are in full force, the partying is just beginning (Reyes Magos is, what, the 6th of January?), and everyone and everything is in a festive mood. You'll LOVE it, good choice! Be sure to bring warm clothing and rain gear, the winters here are analogous to the Pacific Northwest in the US -- wet and cold, but above freezing. If you like to ski, there are ski areas like Navacerrada near by and I believe some have train access(?) I am not really sure because I don't ski.

Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it was, what you did, all the details.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1580 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments