Saturday, May 3, 2003:
Coomb's Ranch
42555 Avenue 12
Madera, CA

Basque Mass: 11:00 am
Lunch: 1-3 pm
Adults $12, Kids $6 (under 12)
Kids under 6 are free.

Parade, klika and dantzariak at 3:30 pm; Chorizo sandwiches at 5:00 pm. For more info call (559) 226-7499

40th Annual Los Banos Basque Club Picnic
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Los Banos Fairgrounds Park
Mass: 9:30 am
Lunch: 12-2:00 pm

$15 per plate
$8 kids

57th Annual Southern California Basque Club Picnic
Sunday, July 6
Mass: 10:30 pm
Lunch-BBQ Steak: 12:00 pm
Klika/Dantzariak: 3:00-6:00 pm
Sausage sandwiches: 5:00 pm
BBQ :p Lamb dinner: 6:00 pm
Live music and dancing for all: 7:30-11:30 pm
No word on prices, but usually between $12-$15 per plate.

For more info call (909) 986-6143 / (909) 628-4415 or e-mail larretche@aol.com. You can e-mail me for directions to the Chino Jr. Fairgrounds.

The Chino Basque Club Picnic will be held the Sunday before Labor Day in September, so mark your calendars now!!! The schedule is similar to the SoCal Club...steak, lamb, mmmmm!!!! Join us!!!

#72734 - 04/08/03 03:40 PM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
silly question but where exactly is the Southern California Basque Club picnic held?

#72735 - 04/09/03 09:50 AM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...it's hidden in there, but it says "Chino Jr. Fairgrounds". Sorry it wasn't super clear. The SoCal club used to be based in La Puente, but since all the Basques moved out, they've shifted to Chino. The two clubs (SoCal and Chino) are separate, however. Chino also has a club house, but the SoCal club does not. ¿Vienes?

#72736 - 05/03/03 12:32 PM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
CaliBasco, can you tell me of any Basque restaurants here in So. California? I live in Anaheim and I know of no Basque places here in Orange County or Los Angeles County. The only Basque place I've ever seen was somewhere in central Los Angeles (City of Industry), 'La Villa Basque'. Im not sure if it's still there and not sure if it's Spanish or French Basque. Anyway, the only Basque restaurants I know of are in Bakersfield. I knew of a place in San Francisco and everytime I visited my brother I told myself I was going to eat there, well to my chagrin, the last time I went it had closed down! frown . So, it seems that Basque food has alluded me for too many years and now Im turning to you for assistance. smile

#72737 - 06/11/03 01:54 PM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Sorry I missed this post, Oso: There are two Basque restaurants in Chino, both on Central Ave. (take the 91 to the 71 N exit Cental Ave.).

The one you want is "Centro Basco", which is the one run by the Berterreches. It's on the left-hand side, just past Edison Ave. From Anaheim Hills you're looking at about 15 minutes (w/o traffic).

The Villa Basque is run by our cousins, and is still in business. It's located in Vernon, CA (near E. Los Angeles). I like the food there, but since Centro Basco is closer, that's where we go. It is French Basque. They do have a great dessert specialty there, gateaux basque.

To All Board Members: As for the picnic on July 6: My daughter will be dancing with the little kids dance group. We're excited and hope she'll continue to learn the dances. Please come to the picnic in Chino on the 6th if you're in SoCal! I'll be the one with the big, obnoxious red boina...

#72738 - 06/13/03 01:17 PM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

CaliBasco, thanks for the info on the restaurants. I didn't realize how close I was to any Basque places. Your comment about taking 15 minutes w/o traffic from Anaheim Hills to Chino made me laugh. More than likely you're aware of the horrendous traffic on the EB91.

Talk about 6 degrees of separation! What a surprise to find out your cousins owns it! La Villa Basque has been around for decades, now Im definately going to have to make a trip into LA and try it.

Another thing I wanted to ask you. Is there a difference between French & Spanish Basque food and customs? And...how to do they get along?

#72739 - 06/30/03 04:06 PM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

WARNING: THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BASQUE CLUB PICNIC IS ONLY SIX DAYS AWAY! COME AND EAT!

I know all CAPS is shouting, but I wanted to make sure you all heard me. If you need additional info, PM me.

Oso: The EB91 stinks 24/7, as does the WB91.

As far as your question about the FRA/ESP Basques: Most Basques are Basques first...the French/Spanish thing is a political "bump" in the history.

Basque cuisine varies slightly from region to region, but there are some general similarities. Doing a search online for the "Basque Gastronomical Societies" should get you a good idea on what to expect in each of the seven provinces [Nafarroa is linked linguistically].

At least in the Chino Basque Club, all get along well, regardless of the fact that the French Basques in the club, from several sources, have an elitist attitude. wink

Will you be in attendance on July 6th?

#72740 - 06/30/03 05:06 PM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
Count me in! I'll be there!

#72741 - 07/03/03 01:15 AM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Hoping we can make it to the picnic. It all depends on how my wife is doing that day. Her fibro has been acting up and has had to restrict her activity. If we can't make it, we'll try for Labor Day.

#72742 - 07/03/03 01:32 AM Re: Basque Club Picnic Schedule for ALL California
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Basque picnic?.... How about a Spanish club guys lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments