Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7268 - 07/28/04 01:54 PM Reservations needed?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Ok. I have done a search on this but didnt find anything, so I will ask. It is probably a stupid question, but do you HAVE to make a reservation to find a place to stay? In many parts of the United States, you can just drive or walk up to a hotel or motel and say you want a room for x amount of nights. You pay them the money, they hand you the key, and thats it.

But I get the impression here that in Spain, reservations are a requirement and "walk ups" would not be accepted. Is this true, or does it depend on the location like here in the United States? For example, anyone could get a room without a reservation at a "Comfort Inn" in Kentucky, but obviously you would need a reservation to stay at the "Hilton" in Downtown New York.

The reason I am asking is because I would like to keep my trip to Spain somewhat open-ended. Ideally, I just want to buy the unlimited travel E-Rail pass for 8 or 10 days and just bounce around Spain. But if you have to make reservations everywhere, then you have to maintain a schedule. ...which I try to avoid while vacationing whenever possible. smile

#7269 - 07/28/04 03:27 PM Re: Reservations needed?
JA Offline

Loc: usa
In general the aswer is yes for Spain and Portugal, but it has downside or two.

One is the cost and two is finding the place when you are carrying luggage and it is hot like the devil and you do not know where you are.

Now a partial solution is to go to the tourist office at the airport or train station. I have done that more than once and I have gotten some good deals (in Portugal). My humble suggestion is that you get a good travel book and get an idea where you want to go and what hotels (at your price range) may be worth considering once you arrive at the city in question. Your choices in summer may be fewer.

Good luck,

Juan

#7270 - 08/20/04 05:15 PM Re: Reservations needed?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Things have changed as things are known to do from time to time.

We've decided to stay in Spain for the 2 weeks insted of working our way northward.

So based on what you all have told me, I have a new simplier question:

Will I be able to get a room, booking it from the train station, in late December? Or is that one of those times when it would be better to do so well in advance?

#7271 - 08/20/04 07:28 PM Re: Reservations needed?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Imagica1975 writes:
Quote:
... do you HAVE to make a reservation to find a place to stay?
It's always advisable to have a place reserved in advance, if only because you should have gotten a price with your reservation and as a 'walk in' you are pretty much at the mercy of the Desk Clerk. Hotels publish their Maximum room rate and that's probably what you will have to pay with no advance reservation.
Quote:
... I get the impression here that in Spain, reservations are a requirement and "walk ups" would not be accepted.
Not so! If a Hotel or Hostal has a room available they will probably rent it to you.
Quote:
... I would like to keep my trip to Spain somewhat open-ended. Ideally, I just want to buy the unlimited travel E-Rail pass for 8 or 10 days and just bounce around Spain.
In off-season I have had pretty good luck with people who wait at Bus or Train stations and ask if I am looking for a Pension. Don't plan to arrive after 9:00 PM and expect to find lodging without a reservation.
In two places, I had a reservation and arrived a day early and both places accomodated me (Hotel America in Vigo (Pontevedra) and Hotel Santa Maria in el Puerto de Santa Maria (Cadiz)).
BTW
You may save a few bucks (or Euros) if you but a Spain flexipass rather than a EurailPass.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1599 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments