Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7217 - 07/16/04 07:39 PM Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
Karri Offline

Loc: Northern Il
I wanted to know if Hostal Lopez is handicap accesable. My husband can do a flight of stairs but not much more.
Since they don't take credit cards how do I reserv a room. I have E-mailed them but they never answered.
Karri

#7218 - 07/16/04 07:54 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Karri!

I'm afraid Hostal López is NOT handicap accessible. They have no elevator and you have to go up to the next level to reach the reception area. Then, you'll likely have to go up another level to your room.

I think they check/reply to reservation requests a couple times each week so give them a few more days if you're still interested. The only other way to make reservations is by phone but chances are not good that Nuria, the daughter who speaks English, will answer the phone - unless you speak Spanish, that is.

Best of luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7219 - 07/16/04 09:30 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by Karri on 07-16-2004 09:13 PM]

Can you tell me any hostals that are accesable or on lower levels. Lopez doesn't look like more than one or 2 flights. He can do that.
Karri

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7220 - 07/16/04 09:37 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

In Hostal López , you walk up one flight, reach the landing and turn, and go up the next flight to reach the first floor above ground level. After you enter the reception area and get your room, you'll most likely have to go up to the next floor to get to your room. Be sure to alert them that he's handicapped.

There are very very few hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish) on the ground levels. Those included would be Hostal Persal near the Plaza Santa Ana and the Hostal Cantábrico between the Plaza Santa Ana and Puerta del Sol. These two both have many rooms and also elevators.

Many hostels have elevators to them and these would include, among many many others, Hostal Martín & Hostal Cervelo - both on the Calle de Atocha and are "sister hostels" in the same building. There are many many which have elevators and I can't remember them all now. Be sure to browse those on the Madrid Hostels page and then SEARCH them each here in this category for previous reviews.

Anyone else? Best of luck to you!

Saludos, MadridMan

#7221 - 07/17/04 12:10 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by Karri on 07-16-2004 11:05 PM]

my husband can do some stairs. Hostal Lopez doesn't look like it has too many stairs.

#7222 - 07/17/04 12:31 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
boink!

#7223 - 07/17/04 01:38 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
Karri Offline

Loc: Northern Il
I have checked out C/Victoria and no where do they mention an elevator. But I have contacted them.

#7224 - 07/17/04 11:01 AM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Karri, do you mean HOSTAL Victoria ?? confused If so, as you say, they don't mention that they have an elevator so you'll be in the same situation as with Hostal López with regards to the stairs.

Saludos, MadridMan

#7225 - 07/22/04 11:11 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Lopez - Handicap Accessible?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have stayed at Hostal Lopez and I am afraid it has too many stairs for you!!! I just returned last night from Madrid where we said at Hostal Chelo. It has an elevator and you must do about 10 steps. Many of the main hotels also would work.

Be careful with the metro because you often have many steps within each station, especially if the escalators are not working!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments