Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7187 - 07/05/04 01:51 AM Madrid/BCN Reviews: Hostal Adriano, Central Barcelona and more (please read!)
jenia.alexis Offline

Loc: new york
I just came back from Spain...
There is soooo much to say about that country, but i want at least in this post give review to the places i stayed in.

Hostal Adriano :

The location was great. Close to everything, and at the same time quiet and clean. Although we had heavy luggage, there was no problem with it - the guys brought it upstairs. Hostal is very clean and the rooms are very cheery, although some people might find them to Ikea - like. Ours was pastel green with white molding and looked very pleasant in the morning sunlight. The bathroom was very small but impeccably clean.
The staff was very knowledgeble, although we felt that we were treated slightly different. I am not sure whether it was because we didn't speak spanish or whether we had american passport (although we are ukrainian). Don't get me wrong, I have no complains - they provided us with everything we needed every day.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this place.

Hostal Cental Barcelona :

wow.....what can i say.....
I want to warn everyone about that place - its a disaster!!!
For one, the name has nothing nothing to do with the location - its damn far away from the train and everything else for that matter.
Two, the address is screwed up. Apparently the street numbers go both ways, so you have #248 on the left side and #248 few blocks away on the right side (from cross street). That took a while to figure out...
The elevator was tiny and i barely fit there with my suitcase. After we finally go to the right floor we were greeted with a nice receptionist. She informed us that the room we requested is taken and we can have the other instead, for less price, but with no bathroom. We agreed until...we came to the room.
Now, its not my first time traveling, but i never seen a room crappier than this. it was extremely tiny with a high ceiling (which made the room look like a well), horrible lighting and a strange damp smell.
To be honest, i wanted to leave right away, but that wasn't it. My sister suggested looking at the balcony, and i wish i didn't! It was tiny and dirty, facing the inner yard with garbage and had a old rusty stove just standing there!!!!
At that point, i grabbed my sister and told her that we HAVE to find another place to stay. We went on the internet and found a hotel called MELIA TRYP APOLO, which i HIGHLY recommend.
By the time we came back, the receptionist told us that our deposit will not be returned. I tried to fight asked for a manager, but...If not for my sick and tired sister, i would've fought till i get but she wanted to leave.'
Needless to say, I want to warn everyone about that place - don't waste your money!

HOTEL TRYP APOLO :

I will not say much - its a great hotel. Its located only short walk from La Rambla, has an amazing an knowlegeble staff available 24/7. They really make you feel like a king and are willing to help and anytime. And, they gave us the best exchage rate in Spain! (not to mention little things like freebees, taxi calls and restaurant reservations)
The only thing I would recommend, is to check the rates first on orbitz.com and expedia.com - they will probably be much lower. In fact, we paid less than half of the usual price.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any additonal questions, please feel free to contact me.

Alexis

#7188 - 07/05/04 02:04 AM Re: Madrid/BCN Reviews: Hostal Adriano, Central Barcelona and more (please read!)
Kathleen Offline

Loc: Fremont, California
I just checked, and the reservation site for the hotel lists the rooms at $191 per night. A little high. Is this what you paid?

#7189 - 07/05/04 02:07 AM Re: Madrid/BCN Reviews: Hostal Adriano, Central Barcelona and more (please read!)
jenia.alexis Offline

Hello

We paid 80 euros per night and found the fare on orbitz.com.
You might also check out expedia, travelocity, hotels.com for good rates.
another thing thats good to do is to have a map of Barcelona and see the hotels that you may like and just google them for possible promo rates.

Good luck!

Alexis

#7190 - 07/05/04 01:26 PM Re: Madrid/BCN Reviews: Hostal Adriano, Central Barcelona and more (please read!)
Kathleen Offline

Loc: Fremont, California
Hello again. I checked all of the listings for this hotel and the least expensive rate is $103 per night. The hotel sounds wonderful, but think it is too expensive for me. I want to thank you for listing your trouble with the Hostal Central. I was ready to book it due to the beautiful web page. Doesn't sound like it would be a good place for my first stay in Spain and I am greatful for your honesty! Did you see the Hotel Gran Via when you were in Barcelona? The rates are about $90 per night and I think that is about as cheap as I will find for this type of hotel. August is 'high season' so the rates reflect that. At present, I am currently reserved at the Hosteria Grau (very inexpensive, but no air conditioning). It is about 200 yards up Calle Tallers from Ramblas. I guess I'll need my walking shoes. Kathleen

#7191 - 07/09/04 01:11 PM Re: Madrid/BCN Reviews: Hostal Adriano, Central Barcelona and more (please read!)
jenia.alexis Offline

Hello again

Unfortunately i can't give you any information about those places. It was my first time in Barcelona and those were the places we stayed in.

Whatever you do, just be careful of the sites, they can be misleading.

Alexis

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments