Hi, 2 weeks ago I've returned back home from my vacation in Spain where I've been stayin in above cities plus made a short trip to Portugal. In appreciation of this forum's help here is the short info on hostales I've been stayin.

Notes:
I didn't book places in advance. Usually we just arrived in a city and went to touristy areas with a lots of hostales to find the best available place for the money.

All prices are for double room with a private shower/bath.

Madrid
Hostal Bermejo, C Atocha, 43. (91 429 96 04)
50E/day
Nice and clean place with A/C, new furniture and a small bathroom. 5 min from Pl Mayor. A bit loud in the morning. Owners/managers don't speak English but are very friendly. They sell coke and beer at reception 24 hours a day.

Sevilla.
Hostal Toledo, C. Santa Teresa, 15 (954 21 53 35)
53.5 E/day
Clean but pretty loud place, rooms are a bit small and furniture is old. Our room had an A/C. 5-7 min from Sevilla Cathedral. Owners don't speak English and for some reason were kind of unfriendly. One day there were no hot water.

Barcelona
Hotel Peninsula, Carrer Sant Pau, 34 (93 302 31 38)
70E/day

Big room with an A/C and quite big bathroom. 1 min from La Rambla and 3 min from Parc Guel. Nice English speaking staff. Breakfast is included in the price but imo you can easily miss one because there is nothing to eat actually. Furniture is too old as well as the whole hotel building.

Lisbon (Portugal)
Pensao Santo Tirso (Praca D.Pedro IV, 18)(21 347 04 28)
45E/day

Nice centrally located place with English speaking staff. We had small room with shower installed. Had difficulties with water temperature in a shower. It looked like you could have only boiling or cold water and nothing in between.

btw, best of my photos from the trip will be posted soon on my site

Regards, jed.