Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I'll be there.

#70931 - 11/05/01 06:01 PM Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Well, the phrase "it'll be a cold day in hell..." has its Southern California equivalent: "It'll be a rainy night in Chino..."

Yes, it rained, and yes, some of us got together at Centro Basco, a Basque restaurant in Chino, CA for dinner. Joining me were Nicole and Shawn. Roses had another engagement (darn!) and laduque was working the restaurant in San Diego.

Dinner was great (I am very biased, though), and we were both happy to get the update on Shawn's big Spain plans (I'll let him post).

For those of you in the area, we plan to get together again within a couple of months, prior to Shawn's departure. Maybe we'll go down to Costa Brava (or whatever misnomer you guys decided on, laduque!!!).

We'll send you a picture for posting, MM!

#70932 - 11/05/01 10:10 PM Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
It was a fine evening in spite of the autumn chill and the farmland fragrance. I enjoyed as usual the insightful and wide ranging conversation that Nicole and CaliBasco facilitate. The meal was splendid as well. Although, Mary's little lamb might not have thought so as I have rekindled my romance for that succulent meat.

Calibasco alluded to my big plans. Encouraged by those who have spent lengthy stays in Spain, I have finalized my plans to study Spanish through a program(programme) offered through the Universidad de Valladolid. It will be a year-long course of studies that will combine Castellano with Hispanic Studies (art history, literature, history, etc.).

I have quit my job, sold my new car, and have thrown caution to the wind while a sence of wanderlust has overtaken my typically reserved self. I will arrive in Madrid at the end of December so as to partake in the "12 uvas" celebration. I plan on spending about week in Madrid prior to heading to Valladolid. Much as Michael is weighing his housing options for Valencia, I too am considering the many possibilties. I'll have to decide soon. I have never been to Valladolid, but that fact dosen't deter me as the sence of wonder from appraoching the relatively unknown is invigorating.

Of course, I shall update this esteemed board with any pearls that I encounter in my sojourn. Hopefully, I may be of assistance to future board members, just as so many of you have been to me. Gracias!

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#70933 - 11/05/01 10:23 PM Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I am sorry I missed the dinner, sounds like you had a wonderful time, as always!
Shawn, I am so happy you are finalizing your trip and can't wait to read your posts when you get there.
Dinner before Shawn leaves is a definite! Costa Brava awaits!(If S.D. is just too far, I will make every attempt to make the drive!)

#70934 - 11/13/01 03:41 PM Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
so sorry that i missed the dinner. i truly enjoyed the last one with you guys. i forgot about a concert i agreed to go to months ago. that's what happens will you plan too far in advance. by any means, i'll try to make the next dinner date with you guys. shawn, it sounds like you are in for a real treat. when you look back on your life years from now, you are going to remember your year in Vallodoid.

safe travels.

roses.

#70935 - 11/14/01 12:05 PM Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
We missed you guys too, but had a nice time visiting nonetheless. Laduque, how was the drive to LOng Beach last time? Did it shave some time off? I would be happy to head to SD, I am looking at applying to UCSD and SDState, so it would give me chance to chech out the campuses - we would then stay overnight. That might be too far for everyone else though... what do you all think...

Cali suggested La Luna, which I think we all enjoyed too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2338 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments