Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#70883 - 09/28/01 09:49 AM How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
L.A., New York, D.C. & Madrid have done it - Anyone game for considering a MadridMan - "I wanta' get back to Spain" dinner group in Boston? laugh

#70884 - 10/03/01 11:14 PM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hola Puna!

If it's done a weekend, I'd probably be interested in attending. (I'm closer to NYC, but about 2-ish hours from Boston.) I receive emails from a Spanish restaurant in Boston, Tasca, are you familiar with it? I believe they have monthly flamenco shows on Tuesday nights, but they just sent me one saying there's going to be one on a Sunday night early in November. You can join their mailing list by going to http://www.tascarestaurant.com . I've never been there, but I think it's neat how they advertise like this.

Anyone else interested?

Buena suerte!

GG

#70885 - 10/04/01 10:28 AM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Hola GranadaGirl -
There are actually three Spanish restaurants in the Boston area to the best of my knowledge - one in Harvard, one out in Brookline and the third on Newbury. I've not been to the one in Brookline so can't offer any comments other than I hear its good. Newbury is **** for parking - and coming from Conn. that would be a concern. Harvard's parking is difficult - but not impossible. I agree that a weekend would be the best - lets see if we can get a few more people interested in dinner - then we can pick the date and location.
FYI - I think there are maybe half a dozen people on the board who are from the general area ...
Email me direct or just post the dates that work best for you!

#70886 - 10/17/01 11:08 PM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
In terms of the restaurant in Harvard Sq., if you're talking about Iruna, my friends and I didn't think it was so hot. The restaurant on Newbury St., if you're talking about Tapeos, is the sister restaurant to Dali's, which is much tastier. The atmosphere is great too. Dali's is actually on the cambridge/somerville line, right outside of Harvard Sq. Unless you're real familiar with the area, its not so easy to find. When you guys write that you're from Boston, I don't know if you mean in Boston really, or right outside maybe. If you had a Boston group that would be great! Hopefully it would be before I actually go on my exchange to Spain in January!

#70887 - 10/18/01 10:01 AM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
jefe7 Offline

Loc: San Juan, PR - Newport, RI
I'm on the mailing list of the Tasca Restaurant and received the following email:
--------------------------------------
We are pleased to offer a five course Spanish wine tasting dinner on Monday 22nd October. The food and wine presentation will be made by Craig Drollett of the Boston Wine Company representing Fine wines from Spain. The event will commence at 7pm and the cost is $49 per person (includes tax and gratuity).

Selection of traditional Spanish tapas
2000 Rosado, Muga, Rioja

Poached shrimp, scallops, salmon and mussels in a saffron lobster sauce , puff pastry
1999 Burgans, Albarino, Galacia
Portabello and goat cheese fritter over watercress and greens in charred tomato vinaigrette
1998 Vega Sindoa, Cabernet Tempranillo blend, Bodegas Nekeas, Navarra

Rosemary and garlic crusted roast rack and leg of lamb over mashed potatoes, Scented jus
1997 Condado de Haza, Ribera del Duero

Traditional Spanish flan
Alvear, Moscatel Sherry, Montilla
----------------------------------------
I've never been to this restaurant, so I can't say how good/bad it is.
I'm still not sure if I will go (previous commitments), but it sounds like a good opportunity to kickstart that Boston MM dinner group.
Salud!

#70888 - 10/20/01 10:40 AM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Hola all -
Jefe7's suggestion sounds interesting though I don't know if the date (2 days from now!)would work! I have never been to Tasca's
either ... nor do I know what people want to spend. Tapeos, in my mind, is greatly over-rated; perhaps Dali's, (while harder to find) as the original restaurant, might be better.
Any and all that might want to settle on a date - please post what works best for you and we can go from there.

#70889 - 08/31/02 02:42 PM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
Hola Fellow Bostonian Hispanophiles!

I've been to Dali (Somerville), Tasca (Brookline) and Tapeo (Newbury St.). All have their high and low points.

I thought the atmosphere at Dali was awesome....truly Spanish, small & crowded & loaded with paraphernalia. The food was excellent and authentic. We had gambas al ajillos and they were *close* to the real thing. It's not too hard to find either. And parking is easy. Great neighborhood.

Tasca in Brookline didn't strike me as very authentic...I think the owners are actually Irish! The atmosphere was romantic....very dark.....and their tapas were more like meals.....not what they are meant to be!

And lastly, Tapeo on Newbury is SO expensive! And parking is a nightmare there. But the food and wine were to die for. Expect to wait over an hour to get a table.

I am interested in knowing more about the "Spain-in-Boston" crowd as well so keep me informed on any Dinner Groups or other get-togethers you guys do! I know I'm about 5 months late on this thread.

My Sevillano husband and I live in Salem (La Ciudad de las Brujas) just north of Boston!

Saludos!

Sarita smile

#70890 - 11/21/02 09:30 PM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
Bobster Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Hey all,

I organized the NYC dinner a couple months ago, and it was a huge success- we had a ball- you can read about it in the same section (Classifieds & Personals)... I was just writing because I saw this topic and was interested in seeing if anything ever materialized of these plans... I know it's last minute, but I am going to be up in Boston next week, Wed-Fri. I will probably go up again the last couple weeks of December. If people are still interested, post the dates you would prefer and let's see if we can get this rolling...

Bobby

"To be is to do." -- Voltaire.

"Do be do be do." -- Frank Sinatra

#70891 - 11/21/02 10:37 PM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
Sorry, Bob, next week is tough what with Turkey Day and all!

No, we have not materialized a Boston dinner group yet but I hope we do soon. We´re going to Sevilla from Dec 12-30......so include me in anything once we get back!

Saludos,
Sarita

#70892 - 11/30/02 07:21 PM Re: How about a Boston MadridMan dinner group?
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Hi Bostonianhispanophiles, I am moving and will be within striking distance of Boston in the winter (to southern Vermont), so please put me on your mailing list if you develope a dinner club.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments