Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70286 - 10/19/08 02:45 AM in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Fran and Cayetano are on tonight's 60 minutes (a news magazine program on USA television).

#70287 - 10/19/08 04:24 AM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
damn damn damI don't have any US stations . Guess I'll have to find it elsewhere !
Could almost be Scotland here in Madrid , Joe , ... cold and raining .. So you're not missing anything hahaha .

Steve

#70288 - 10/19/08 05:22 AM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
eskimo joe Offline

I dont know if you can see it live online , but I think you should be able to afterwards . Here's a link to a preview of it CBS There is also on the page a video of Fran from 98 and an anti from the 70's .
The weather is the same here , im just away to go cycling in it
I dont think I will be on the Bilbao job , but we hope to move back to Madrid next year

#70289 - 10/19/08 10:15 PM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I watched it by chance just tonight! Didn't even know it was going to be on. Interesting segment. Both those brothers speak English amazingly well. Both had gone to "camp" of some sort in Main and Indiana, USA and the older brother lived for awhile in Santa Monica (?), California. It's interesting they continue to call them "Matadors" when in Spain they're called "Toreros", "Matadors" are what they're called in Latin America.

The segment to which eskimo joe links above is only a 1-minute portion of the entire 10-minute feature.

eskimo joe, WHERE were you able to watch it? Do you have satellite television (CBS from the USA???) from your work site?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70290 - 10/20/08 12:10 AM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
They had previews on earlier. I think they wait a bit before they make the whole piece available.

60 Minutes also did a piece on Francisco 10 years ago. You can see a highlight on the website. His family sent him to the US to attend a college on the east coast (I forget which). He actually lived in a dorm amongst the students, which explains his english.
I think the reporter, Bob Simon must be an aficionado. He also did the earlier piece.

The family link they didn't mention was the great grandfather, also named Cayetano, (father of Antonio) who went by the name "Nino de la Palma". He was the model for matador Pedro Romero in the Hemingway novel "The Sun Also Rises" and was excoriated for his cowardice in "Death in the Afternoon".

See you in a couple of weeks!

You can see Cayetano cutting an ear at his confirmacion in Las Ventas in June here- Video He is the last on with the silver on black suit.

#70291 - 10/20/08 05:06 AM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
eskimo joe Offline

MadridMan , I still haven't seen it yet . It was linked on another forum , if you go on the link I put above you can see it . I will watch it when I get home from work .

#70292 - 10/20/08 08:40 AM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I FOUND IT! You can watch the entire 13 minute second segment on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U11HNjPD-I . The segment is called "Blood Brothers".

Saludos, MadridM

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70293 - 10/21/08 02:19 PM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
eskimo joe Offline

also the book about Fran death and the sun is a good read , there is alot of bullfighting books I enjoy but wouldnt recommend to a non aficionado , but this one is a good read , even if Fran isnt one of the best bullfighters

#70294 - 10/23/08 04:01 PM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
If you did not get enough of bull fighting the Boston Globe's website has some amazing photos:

The Big Picture - Pamplona

Enjoy!

If you have a passion for photographs or photography like I do, they also have some amazing large photos in the Big Picture section of the website. cloud9

Bill

#70295 - 10/23/08 07:05 PM Re: in USA: matadors on cbs 60 minutes
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
The brothers are correct in calling themselves "Matadores" because they are the bullfighters that kill the bull. In the cuadrilla all members are toreros but only the principle fighter is called matador, his title therefore is matador de toros or killer of bulls. It is a hierarchy. Bullfighters don't start off as matadores, they apprenctice and when they start fighting young bulls they are called novilleros until such time they are ready to fight. A special fight is held called the Alternative where the young torero is presented as a matador de toros.

Now, whether the term has been generalized now a days I down't know.

It was a good segment and interview. I'm glad they didn't put a negative spin on bullfighting which I thought they would.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments