MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#70224 - 09/10/08 04:48 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I checked out the listing for here in SD and it is going to air back to back with Jose Andres' show on Spanish food in America! A great 1 1/2 of Saturda tv.

#70225 - 09/10/08 08:48 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I think this is going to be great fun to watch! Thanks for reminding us about it starting up next week. The website is also great. I bet they really enjoyed filming this series. I would LOVE to do what they did!

#70226 - 09/11/08 06:17 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

I am excited that this amazing cuisine will hopefully be brought to the attention of many Americans! Many "regulars" on this board are all deeply passionate about Spanish food and it may take a superstar actress and celebrity chef to finally bring the flavors to the spotlight.
I can't tell you how many people think that Spanish food is the same as Mexican food or that if a restaurant serves "tapas" they automatically think all is Spanish.
My brother in law (you know, the restauranteur) says the buzz in the business is that Spanish cuisine is the next great trend in the U.S.

#70227 - 09/11/08 11:27 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the reminder! I sent myself an email reminder so that I won't forget to watch it. clap

Laduque, I can certainly empathize with you when people think that Spanish food and Mexican food are the same. While I am a huge fan of Mexican food -and we have some of the best here- it's sometimes annoying that people confuse the two.

And, we have lots of "small plates" restaurants around town: Spanish small plates, Japanese small plates, Italian small plates, etc. Fortunately there are some very good and well-known Spanish restaurants so many people are familiar with Spanish food and appreciate it.

#70228 - 09/15/08 09:59 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Wow - apparently Gwyneth and Mario will be on Oprah on Wednesday, 9/19, cooking and talking about Spain.
eek
Oprah!
eek

The official site for the program has come a long way since I first saw it. It's got great information in it. I especially like the info on restaurants... what a great resource. The recipes, too, although I don't know what to think about using pizza dough to make an empanada.

#70229 - 09/21/08 08:15 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

So, for those of you who watched the show, what did you think? I thought the scenery was beautiful and the food looks great. cloud9 But, I'm not sure the writing was very good as I didn't exactly feel glued to the TV; it seemed a bit slow at times. I know I will continue to watch it, of course, as I can't wait to see the other places they visit. And, how great that Antonio Carmona is one of the musicians with Willie Nelson as they sing "On the Road Again" flamenco style for the theme song? cool

#70230 - 09/21/08 09:24 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Ditto! I agree 100%. I was disappointed, but maybe because I was expecting too much. There seemed to be too much of the four hosts "bonding" and I wanted to see more of Spain. The scenery was beautiful, but that was to be expected, right? It is Spain! I hope that this first episode is when they just bonded, and now they can get on to more of Spain and Spanish cooking.

#70231 - 09/21/08 11:51 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Our local PBS station is right in the middle of their membership drive, so according to the schedule, I won't be able to watch this new show until Thursday at 10pm. Worth staying up for only for the fact that it is Spain. I think I may be a bit dissapointed as well. I saw Paltrow and Batali on Oprah last week, and it felt more about the bonding and famous people, than of Spain! Paltrow did tell the Iberian-ignorant Oprah that she wanted to show Spain to Americans because all Americans know of European cuisine is French and Italian, I couldn't agree more!
Thanks for reporting on the show ladies!

#70232 - 09/22/08 03:10 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Even EFE (Spanish news agency) has picked up on the story. Read the entire article, in Spanish, HERE .

Quote:
Gwyneth Paltrow prefiere los berberechos a la morcilla o el jamón ibérico

EFE - lunes, 22 de septiembre, 03.54

Nueva York, 22 sep (EFE).- La actriz estadounidense Gwyneth Paltrow, quien hoy presentó en Nueva York la serie "Spain...on the road again", sobre la gastronomía española, aseguró que prefiere degustar un buen plato de berberechos antes que morcilla o jamón ibérico.

Paltrow dijo en declaraciones a EFE que entre sus platos preferidos de la cocina española están los berberechos, las anchoas, el queso manchego o la paella, y que ahora prefiere no comer morcilla o jamón, como solía hacer cuando vivía de adolescente en la localidad de Talavera de la Reina (Toledo).

"Cuando tenía 15 años comía jamón todos los días. Mi padre es granjero y tenía jamón de pata negra, y yo comía de todo, hasta morcilla", explicó la actriz ganadora de un Oscar por la película "Shakespeare in love" en relación a esa estancia en casa de una familia española.

"Ahora no he comido carne desde hace quince años", aseveró Paltrow, quien ha grabado trece capítulos de un nuevo programa en la televisión pública estadounidense PBS que pretende acercar la geografía y la gastronomía española a los televidentes de EEUU.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70233 - 09/22/08 04:03 PM Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's food tour in Spain
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
What were the producers thinking of when hiring Paltrow who doesn't eat meat !!!! I have nothing against vegetarians ( usually ) , but for a food programme surely you should have someone who's prepared to try almost anything ?
I always go back to this idea that If ever a vegetarian is invited to a dinner party then , usually , the hosts will accomodate them by providing something other than meat whilst if you go to a dinner party at a vegetarian's house the likelyhood is you will not be served a juicy ,bloody , steak hahaha !
I'm still interested as to how this Gwyneth Paltrow will be received in The States .

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2967 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments