Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7019 - 05/16/04 08:45 PM Torn over San Sebastian hotel
Steve Gorten Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
My girlfriend and I are torn over whether to stay in Hotel Monte Igueldo or Hotel Londres y de Inglaterra Hotel in San Sebastian. We're going crazy trying to decide whether it's best to take the cliff hotel with the views or the one right on the beach near all the sites. Money isn't a factor, but we've found Igueldo for 40 euros less than Londres....Is this worth it, or is Londres better.....Please give some opinions which to pick and why, and negatives about either. Thanks in advance for your help

#7020 - 05/16/04 09:22 PM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hotel Monte Igueldo DOES have fantastic views, 360º-views. I was UP THERE just last year and wow... it's just amazing and great sunsets too. BUT look, I'm not sure what time of year you'll be there but if it's in the summer you'll have good light until almost 10pm but you may not return from dinner in the city until AFTER 10pm (at least I HOPE you don't eat and finish before 10pm! eek ) and you'll have no view from the hotel unless there's a moon. But waking up in the morning.. wow.. that must be amazing. The hotel itself is not "all that" but is nice. The location is the best thing about it. Okay, I didn't go inside but it's not very attractive from the outside. The tower next to the hotel is a definite must for fun and even better views. You can also take the "funicular" up/down Monte Igueldo but it'll likely be shut down by the time you return to the hotel at night.

Regarding Hotel Londres , I think we've had some reviews on that one already. Try a search to find it/them. This one is RIGHT on the beach as you see from their website. This one also has a nice bay-view and is a nice, walkable distance to pedestrian "La Parte Vieja" (the Old Part) along the seaside "boardwalk" (no boards, just cement and railings). By the way, don't be surprised to see nude sunbathing on the beach. eek wink :p

I couldn't find a website for Hotel Inglaterra, though, so I don't know anything about this place.

Wow, you are SO going to love San Sebastián - SUCH an elegant city. I envy you.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7021 - 05/16/04 10:01 PM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
Steve Gorten Offline

I'm not just saying this, Madrid Man, you're a semi-god for creating this website. This helps so much reading what others have to say. How did people travel before this site.....The website for inglaterra is www.hlondres.com. That may help. Right now I'm leaning toward londres. Maybe if we stayed there and ate a meal at the restaurant of the Igueldo, we could do both. Thanks for the help again.....You're doing a great service

#7022 - 05/17/04 09:14 AM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Okay, this is going to confuse things even further, but having been there last summer I do have to make a case for Hotel Niza --just up the promenade from Hotel Londres. The prices are much lower, the views are just as lovely. The Hotel Niza was charming, well-appointed, clean, etc. Can't really say enough good about it, especially when contrasted with the prices at Londres.

Just my two cents!

#7023 - 05/17/04 10:54 AM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

DOH!! rolleyes I just visited the Hotel Londres website once again http://www.hlondres.com and see the hotel's proper name is Hotel Londres y de Englaterra. Sorry about that. rolleyes

I also like your idea of staying at the Hotel Londres y la Inglaterra and having a sunset-filled dinner at the Hotel Igueldo. Mmmm.. I can just imagine dining as/after the sun goes down over the water (I have some great sunset photos from "San Se" taken spring 2003) and you have the beautiful orange glowing sky slowing turning to different, layered shades of blue.... Mmmmm....... Mmmm... MMMMMM!M!M!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!! eek I'm going a little whacko just thinking about it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7024 - 05/17/04 04:38 PM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
fuegofuego Offline

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Londres... a few years ago and although it is a somewhat older hotel -- we fell in love with it. Definitely a great location and the room we has was AWESOME!!! Lots of great restaurants and stores to walk to and the beach is right in front of you. We would stay there again!!

#7025 - 05/17/04 10:33 PM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
Steve Gorten Offline

Thanks for the advice, Liz. I'm definitely intrigued, but a bit worried. It seems like Niza is either the greatest deal in the world or the worst dump depending on how you talk to and which review you read. Before I found this madridman site, I saw traveler reviews on Niza, and some were great like yours and others awful. That leaves me worried. I'm still deciding.

#7026 - 05/18/04 06:40 AM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Hi Steve,

Well, if there are some bad reviews out there, you're better off being careful. That's too bad that some folks hadn't liked it. I'd certainly err on the side of caution and the Hotel Londres gets much more universally positive reviews.

Wherever you stay, enjoy San Sebastian. It's great!

#7027 - 05/18/04 10:33 AM Re: Torn over San Sebastian hotel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Keep in mind that no establishment is going to make 100% of its visitors happy. There's always going to be some bad reviews.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments