Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#69993 - 03/17/07 08:50 PM Movie: "To Die in Madrid" available on DVD/VHS?
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
I'm trying to find out if this 1960's film about the Spanish Civil war, using live footage, is available in VHS or DVD form. Has anyone ever heard of it? It's possibly the most moving and memorable film I've ever seen (back in 1967).

#69994 - 03/17/07 11:09 PM Re: Movie: "To Die in Madrid" available on DVD/VHS?
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

After reading your post and reading about the film online, I'm really disappointed that I haven't seen it! It sounds fascinating.

As far as I can tell, this film is not available in the United States. I searched Amazon, a local non-profit media arts organization with 60,000 video titles (many very obscure), the local Instituto Cervantes' web site, the local Alliance Francaise's web site (since it is technically a French film), Amazon UK, and FNAC in Spain. The only place I could find it was Amazon France, and of course it is in PAL format so you can't watch it on standard DVD players here. But, if you have a multi-region/region-free DVD player you could buy it and watch it in the States. Maybe it will be released in the States in the near future! xfingers

#69995 - 03/18/07 01:19 AM Re: Movie: "To Die in Madrid" available on DVD/VHS?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
As la historiadora says, it seems you can only find it on France's Amazon.fr : click here and the movie's name is Mourir à Madrid:

# Format : PAL
# Langue : Anglais, Espagnol
# Région: Région 2 (Ce DVD ne pourra probablement pas être visualisé en dehors de l'Europe. Plus d'informations sur Formats DVD.)
# Studio: Éditions Montparnasse
# Date de sortie du DVD : 17 mai 2006

So at least it is available on DVD and, as mentioned here, has an English version. BUT, as la historiadora says, it's only in PAL (European) format so you in the USA would have to seek out a PAL or NTSC/PAL compatible DVD player - and they're hard to find, although I bought one in the USA 3 years ago, a no-name-brand, for $40 on Amazon.com.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69996 - 03/18/07 07:02 AM Re: Movie: "To Die in Madrid" available on DVD/VHS?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you can try the editors directly usually these places they speak English too,they might sell direct or direct you on how to acquire it.

www.editionsmontparnasse.fr

I have purchase from them locally, they put advances in youtube.com so check them out.

go to CONTACT in bottom, give your name and email and short message :they will respond to you.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments