MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69944 - 03/02/07 01:34 PM Book: Ghosts of Spain
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I've been reading Ghosts of Spain, by Giles Tremlett. Found many of his insights to be accurate, interesting, and informative. Was wondering if anyone out there has read the book or anything else by Tremlett. He is a reporter for The Guardian.

#69945 - 03/02/07 01:55 PM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
can you tell me a bit more of the book and tremlett,please.

without given away the story of course.
Thanks

#69946 - 03/02/07 05:20 PM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

I don't know much about Tremlett. However, the book is an examination and commentary on Spanish culture. It talks much about the recent interest in the civil war, as well as the different cultural distinctions that make Spain "Spanish."

#69947 - 03/03/07 10:23 AM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

ok thanks. i will look into it from here.

#69948 - 03/03/07 10:52 AM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar, or anyone, are there any other books about Spain that you would consider very good? I have read H.V. Morton's books about London, Italy, and am currently waiting for his about Spain. These were written many years ago but are very useful for historical info. At the same time Morton doesn't bog down despite all the detail because his style (in English) is very readable.

Okay for now.

#69949 - 03/03/07 11:13 AM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

One history book I might recommend is "The Basque History of the World" by Mark Kurlansky. I read it several years ago, and I really liked it because it was really interesting and rather easy to read (not very highbrow, yet well-written). Here is a description from the back of the book:

"Straddling a small corner of Spain and France in a land that is marked on no maps except their own, the Basques are a puzzling contradiction -- they are Europe's oldest nation without ever having been a country. No one has ever been able to determine their origins, and even the Basques' language, Euskera -- the most ancient in Europe -- is related to none other on earth. For centuries, their influence has been felt in nearly every realm, from religion to sports to commerce. Even today, the Basques are enjoying what may be the most important cultural renaissance in their long existence.

Mark Kurlansky's passion for the Basque people and his exuberant eye for detail shine through this fascinating book. The Basque History of the World blends human stories and economic, political, literary, and culinary history into a rich and heroic tale."

I don't know if that sounds like something you'd like to read, but I enjoyed it. thumbsup

#69950 - 03/03/07 11:59 AM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Another book, which is more of a travelogue and a bit lighter, is "It's Not About the Tapas: A Spanish Adventure on Two Wheels" by Polly Evans. It's the story of an English woman who quits her job in Hong Kong so that she can travel by bicycle around Spain for six weeks and 1000 miles. Polly Evans writes about some of her funny experiences while in Spain, and she includes anecdotes about dining experiences and beautiful vistas as well as some of the history of the country.

You can read more about that book at: www.pollyevans.com/pages/books.htm I wish I would have seen the web site while I reading the book since she has photos on the site from her trip!

#69951 - 03/03/07 12:59 PM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

well eskimo joe recommended A load of Bull by Tim Parfitt and it was fantastic i bought the book and finish it quickly : smile
the Ghosts of Spain sound more historical but relevant (I lived the period before the movida in Madrid) but unfortunately is out of print in FNAC or Alapage sites in France.

#69952 - 03/03/07 03:06 PM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

pedmar, I just checked Amazon here in the US and it looks as though "Ghosts of Spain" was just published last month. Then I looked at Amazon France and it is on their web site. Go to www.amazon.fr and do a search for it and you will find the title there. ¡Buena suerte!

#69953 - 03/04/07 07:06 AM Re: Book: Ghosts of Spain
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Thanks all for the recommendations. Another one that I read was Roads to Santiago, which was about the history and more modern reflections on the pilgrimage.

I'll post anything else I come up with that may be of interest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments