MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#69934 - 02/18/07 10:40 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
DVDs with Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles:quoting.

it seems a tough going to find them; i think the makers are saying if they have Spanish audio for an Spanish audience why have spanish subtitles?
it will only work if you find some educational site that creates specific tapes for language instruction.
Good luck!

#69935 - 02/18/07 01:29 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
In Spain nearly all normal DVD releases have "castellano para sordos" subtitles. The Spanish DVD releases are always different from the US versions. You would just need to get a multizone/zone-free DVD player to play them (or download software that enables you to play them on your computer). You can also download most of these movies as torrents and then download the subtitles separately and recompile.

It's true that the El Pais cheap DVDs that come with the paper don't have any subtitles, but these are special barebones copies. You can usually find regular commercial releases of most of these films.

#69936 - 02/18/07 02:44 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
SRedw Offline

Thank you madridmadridmadrid for understanding what I was trying to say. I knew that it exists, but wasn't quite sure where. Once again, we have to buy DVDs directly from Spain to get this option and you bring up another point about the DVD region. That's always a pain, but at least you can find a region-free DVD, but the cost is through the roof. Uff!

Thanks again,

Shawn

#69937 - 02/18/07 04:16 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
madridmadridmadrid, I asked the guy (an older buy who had been working there for years) at my local Expert TV/Stereo shop if he knew of a "Region Free" DVD player and he said he'd never heard of one. I'm aware there are "hacks" one can use on certain machines to make them work for both regions - I did that for mine here and screwed it up now it doesn't work properly. I want an "out-of-the-box", factory made region-free DVD player. Seems they're rare/scarce here in Spain. Sorry, that was all off-topic. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69938 - 02/18/07 07:04 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Hmm, none of the big name companies make them, but I think they are a lot easier to find here than in the US. I know for sure that they sell them at FNAC.

I bought a new one at Christmastime for around 70 euros--the brand was Sunstech and it came with TDT. (We bought another one there a couple of years ago... not sure why, but our DVD players usually die after about three years.)

As I remember, it didn't actually say on the box that it was multizone/code-free. But the sales guy assured us that it was. The zone was set to 0, so everything plays on it. You could bring along a US DVD to try it out before you buy... the challenge is trying to find a time to go when the place isn't mobbed with people (a weekday in the morning would be the way to go).

The whole zone thing really is a royal pain. It just encourages people to download even more. Especially now that you can play DIVX and MPEGs on pretty much any DVD player.

#69939 - 02/19/07 01:38 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Oh, I'm so disappointed to hear that the Pedro collection doesn't have Spanish subtitles. I have to say that recently I have watched some Spanish-language films without Spanish subtitles and it's very frustrating to me. As a non-native speaker, listening to the actors in Spanish and reading the dialogue on the screen is so helpful for my language skills. I must confess that I even do it sometimes in English when I can't quite understand a thick Irish brogue or British accent! wink

#69940 - 02/20/07 11:36 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well glad you have yhour answer but sorry to do it with the sordo setup!

and i have heard too about multi zone usage of DVD player. Actually i used to work in the electronic industry and one chinese manufacturer did it;they are call cyberhome. we ship/sold all over latin america! so its there need to find it with a valuable close salesperson.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments