Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69924 - 02/14/07 10:00 PM Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I read in the newspaper recently that Sony is releasing a collection of eight films directed by Pedro Almodovar called Viva Pedro-Pedro Almodovar Classics Collection.

The films include: "Matador," "Law of Desire," "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown," "The Flower of My Secret," "Live Flesh," "All About My Mother," "Talk to Her" and "Bad Education."

Apparently there is a bonus disc of featurettes, too. I think this is great since some of these movies were not previously available on DVD, and some others were out of production for awhile.

#69925 - 02/15/07 06:56 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Yes, that is true. The only problem with the set is with the subtitiles. They do not give an option for Spanish subtitles, which is what I like to use in my classes whenever possible. Of course you can use the English or French subtitles. However, the set is great! I only wish that Volver had been included~

#69926 - 02/15/07 10:58 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
SRedw Offline

Esperanza,

This puzzles me too as to why there are no Spanish subtitles. HEARING IMPAIRED . . . Do they not exist in Spain or do they have a special DVD that we don't know about?

I would like to see volver again and this time with Spanish subtitles.

Hope all is well with you.

Besos,

Shawn

#69927 - 02/16/07 05:45 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
maybe it is intended for english speaking media and to expand the information about spanish movies;i think is good. the word needs to be spread Spain makes good movies too. English is the language to do it.
My five cents worth of course.

#69928 - 02/16/07 11:27 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
SRedw Offline

pedmar,

I totally understand what you say, but you missed the point of what Esperanza and I are asking for. We are Spanish teachersand would love to have it with Spanish subtitles so that our students can hear and see Spanish. It defeats the purpose in the Spanish classroom when students hear Spanish, but directly read the English. Most of them will stop listening to the Spanish.

So, I am glad to see these DVDs in action.

By the way, there are a ton of Spanish movies coming on HBO Latino. I saw OCULTO last night. Very good film. So, if you have HBO LAtino and understand Spanish very well, check out their all Spanish language films.

Shawn

#69929 - 02/16/07 03:20 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

thanks for the explanation: yes from that point of view as Spanish teachers then is not good to have the English subtitles.

I am Spanish and live in France (also other nationalities travel a lot) Here we can see Spanish TVE and the movies on my satellite can switch to completely Spanish if they are from a Spanish speaking country, or English or or its a great system but in multilingual Europe is a must.
if you are in the US you can tune in to Univision and TV America sometimes I remember at night on the weekend they run movies;you can tape them and show them in class.

#69930 - 02/17/07 11:41 AM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
SRedw Offline

Quote:
if you are in the US you can tune in to Univision and TV America sometimes I remember at night on the weekend they run movies;you can tape them and show them in class.
But once again, no SUBTITLES in Spanish. I wonder if this will be an option (Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles) with newer DVDs.

How do deaf people watch DVDs is beyond me if they only speak Spanish.

Shawn

#69931 - 02/17/07 05:53 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

try the immersion program in language! it worked best with me in English many eons ago.

sorry for being so tough smile

#69932 - 02/17/07 07:18 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
SRedw Offline

pedmar,

Your not being tough at all. You fail to see that Esperanza and I are talking about something that doesn't seem to exist. We are not talking about immersion programs. We are talking about finding DVDs with Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm going to do some research on this. It has to exist somehwere. I'll be back with an answer.

Shawn

#69933 - 02/17/07 07:27 PM Re: Pedro Almodovar DVD Collection
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Most (or all) of the "Buy El País on Sunday and get XYZ DVD for only 4 Euros" DVDs don't have ANY subtitle options - they're always in Original Version in Spanish so I can't even read English OR Spanish subtitles. We have a large collection of DVDs but I never watch them (top titles, too!) because of this fact.

Saludos, MadridMan/BarcelonaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2063 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments