Topic Options
#69863 - 01/19/07 12:24 PM Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
jabch Offline

Has anyone read this book? Any reviews?

#69864 - 01/19/07 02:43 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
not me.Who publish it? a book is only the personal opinion of its writer not necessarily mines.

#69865 - 01/19/07 02:49 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
jabch Offline

Hi pedmar, the editors are Graeme Chester, the seem to specialize on living-abroad books.

By the way, I found this helpful review at Amazon.com:

Quote:
A little biased, but still very useful, 25 Jan 2005
Reviewer: Vanessa Vinos "Life Coach" (Seville, Spain) - See all my reviews

This is quite a gem of a book and would be good for anybody interested in living in Spain to read this. However, 90% of the contributions come from people living on the Costa del Sol-the "carbuncle" of Spain, and is really not a totally true reflection of what this beautiful and diverse country/culture can offer.I would have given this book 5 stars if it contained more stories of expats living and working in cities (the real Spain), such as Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona, Seville etc. and not just stories from expats living along the coast. I have lived in Seville for 4 years and I can honestly say most of the negative experiences written about are totally alien to me i.e not being able to make Spanish friends. All my friends are Spanish and that is on top of me speaking still quite bad Spanish after 4 years!
Nonetheless the stories in the book are really fascinating, and what it does illustrate are that there are 3 types of expats that come to Spain. The first type are those that are really looking to live and experience a new country and culture. These expats take the rough with the smooth and put down any negative experiences as just some of "life's lessons". The second category are the "beer-swigging, fish and chip brigade". You know the ones! They perhaps have only been to Spain on a two week holiday, to a place that resembles Blackpool in the sun, and then are totally shell-shocked when they experience their first drop of rain and consequently go running back home (because they didn't realised it actually rains in Spain!) And the third kind of expat are your "professional whingers". We've all met them, the ones who find 101 things to complain about when they go on a weeks holiday to a foreign country. They carry on as though they come from a totally efficient country, when usually this is far from the truth. I think when reading this book it is important to identify what kinds of expats contributed to this book, otherwise it could put you off coming to Spain for ever, and that would be a real pity.
However,all the stories prove a couple of things that i) do your research first and don't just base you emigration on your 2 week holiday lying by the pool, ii) learn the language before you come, even if it is just the basics so you can at least show some courtesy to the natives in everyday communication and iii) make every effort to integrate with the natives, as oppossed to " sticking with your own". You will get so much more out of your experience, and like me, never want to return home.
Overall, this is a good book, but be open-minded when reading it.

#69866 - 01/19/07 02:58 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

oh yeah it a typical explanation of expats. and of course the costa del sol oh well: its that in Spain?

Are you trying to seek some books/info on expats in Spain?

the simple most effective advise i can give anyone coming over to a new land is this

when in Rome, do as the Romans do. You will be fine. I have lived in 4 countries and citizen of all 4 including Spain.

#69867 - 01/22/07 09:12 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jabch - LOL when reading the review you posted - how true the poster's comments are~! If you read Foreigners in Spain pls add your comments -

#69868 - 02/15/07 05:51 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
I've not read that book, but I highly recommend Tim Parafit's "a load of bull" its an excellent read that I couldnt put down A load of bull

#69869 - 02/16/07 03:51 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

thanks eskimo joe
A Load of Bull seems to me a load of FUN! as in Madrid.will chase the book in my corner this weekend.

well try it but as usual not in stores:so order it on alapage.com 1 to 2 weeks delay; p;;;madre!

#69870 - 02/24/07 09:19 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

ok eskimo joe, i just got the book A LOAD OF BULL today. Will let you know my opinion once finish reading it.
thanks for the recomm.

#69871 - 02/25/07 10:51 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

great book i have passed on for other to buy it. GReat stories on Madrid and Spain in general. I even like the story of Tim.
mentioned many places i used to go when younger and lived there are still there,and visit everytime i go,which now its every year since 2003.

#69872 - 02/26/07 03:01 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
eskimo joe Offline

Im glad you enjoyed it Pedmar wink I thoroughly enjoyed it myself . Its a well written book and hard to put down

#69873 - 02/27/07 02:26 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

i just wrote the publisher macmillan hope can give the message to Tim Parfitt. great book great recomm again.

well anything on Madrid I love it!!!

#69874 - 02/28/07 12:28 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Anyone know if you can get Tim Parafit's book in the States? Amazon seems to carry it UK only -

#69875 - 02/28/07 02:35 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

i would think amazon US will have it as foreign books section. this is how i got in France with www.alapage.com . you can try Barnes & Noble too.

#69876 - 02/28/07 07:20 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
jabch Offline

Puna, there's a few shipping from NJ & CA.

A Load of Bull on Amazon.com

#69877 - 03/01/07 08:22 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Jabach - thanks so much - when I pulled up Amazon (US) message was in essence "we have no idea of what book you are referring to" -
Your praise of the book piqued my interest - will order and let you know - Thanks again clap

#69878 - 03/26/07 01:03 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

Hi there ... thanks for recommending my book, A LOAD OF BULL - and I'm glad you're enjoying it. There's a new (cheaper) paperback edition out on May 4th, which is already available for pre-order at the UK's amazon site. It should be on amazon.com soon, too ...

#69879 - 03/26/07 03:16 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
jabch Offline

WOW!! When I saw the name of the poster I thought, isn't that the author of the book? Yes!!! how cool..the author himself!!! This is not a joke right??

#69880 - 03/27/07 05:10 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

No joke! Thanks yet again for recommending the book. I'm also finally getting a website together.

(MadridMan Note: Sorry! I've removed your website address and have sent a Private Message on the matter)

#69881 - 03/27/07 06:16 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi Tim cool

I pre-ordered my paperback a few weeks ago, and am really looking forward to getting it :hdspin:

Good luck with the website - please will you let us know when it's up and running?

Thanks.

Jo

#69882 - 03/27/07 08:13 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

Thanks, Jo-Anne. I didn't realise the protocol here ... so I wasn't supposed to mention the website! I've been recommended to change the profile settings, instead. I hope you enjoy the book.

#69883 - 03/27/07 12:53 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Tim -
Stay tuned for reports on your book - my copy is due in any day -
Have the feeling I'm gonna laugh and cry all the way thru it - One of those "bye bye" books - bye bye to everything you're supposed to be doing until you've gotten thru the last page -

#69884 - 03/27/07 02:36 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

A LOAD OF BULL

wow!! Tim ,good to read you. i did bought your book here in France, and it was magnificent. I even sent an email to your publisher to pass the info to you. Congratulations!!!
I lived in Madrid before you, but the areas you touch on the book were like home to me. I am recommending it to all my friends.
Thanks again and nice to read here too.

#69885 - 03/27/07 02:38 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

You are very kind - let's wait and see. Hey, I can also recommend many other good Spain-related books: have any of you read any of Jason Webster's books? "Duende", "Andalus" and "Guerra" ... they are all excellent ...

Thanks so much, pedmar. I never got the message from my publisher but I had seen your note on the message board and wanted to join in. I once visited Versailles on a school trip (years ago) and loved it. It is a beautiful place. Keep smiling!

#69886 - 03/27/07 03:56 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
eskimo joe Offline

Hi Tim , I bought your book with the intention of reading offshore on the oil rig where I work , but I enjoyed it so much I read it in 3 days .
Im moving to Madrid next tuesday and I hope I dont have as much problems with flatulence as you did wink

#69887 - 03/27/07 06:07 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

You never know. Either way, you'll have fun in Madrid! Thanks again.

#69888 - 03/28/07 06:43 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

yes Tim Versailles is beautiful. But, de Madrid al Cielo, is a real saying!!!!

love my trips there every year now that i live in France.Had a similar story than yours;my wife is French,and so am I by marriage.

#69889 - 04/13/07 06:54 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I am going to have to pick up that book by Tim Parfitt soon as everyone seems to love it. In meantime, I am reading " Travels With My Donkey " by Tim Moore. I am really enjoying it as he has some great descriptions of the landscape and the life of a peregrino, and some of his anecdotes are really funny. I always tell myself that one of these days I'll walk the Camino (or at least part of it...) but until then I'm happy to read entertaining travelogues such as this one. See this thread for another recommendation of this book by Booklady.

#69890 - 04/18/07 09:25 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Puna Offline
Executive Member

la historiadora,
Parfitt's book is totally hysterical - you'll find yourself laughing aloud to the point of hurting -
I admit part of my laughter comes from knowing the advertising world and he was a part of it - but just the everyday common goofs and his take on daily life will have you not only laughing but identifying right along with his situation.
Happy reading and giggling -

#69891 - 04/19/07 06:20 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

The last few times I was in Borders Books I did look for it, but it wasn't in the store or even available to order through them, at least according to the in-store computer. I am just going to have to order it through Amazon, and once I read it I will be sure to let you know how much I like it!

#69892 - 04/20/07 10:52 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Actually it cost me far less thru the links posted here - i.e. Amazon I believe - than to buy it in Borders if you could fnd it

#69893 - 05/24/07 08:25 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hi! Does anyone know where in Madrid I could find this book (in English)? I've already tried Fnac and La Casa del Libro.... frown

Thanks in advance!!!

#69894 - 05/24/07 01:12 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

It should be at some of the VIPs stores but you can definitely get it at Hartley’s Good Bookshop in the Calle Padilla, 74 (corner of Alcántara),
28006 Madrid. Tel: 91 401 9077. It's a great little shop, run by a guy called Hartley Moorhouse. Please send him by best wishes if you call in. He should have some signed copies left ...

#69895 - 05/30/07 08:12 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Thanks so much! I already have a signed copy, it's going to be my souvenir-gift for my guiri-hubby after spending a whole month in Madrid....
I read somewhere (on Amazon, I think) that the author had a pad on calle Lope de Vega at the time he wrote the book, or something like that, which is fun for us, since we still own an attic in that same street . cool

I must say that I also find quite fantastic that Mr. Parfitt himself participates in this forum, it's so cool! smile

Looking forward to reading the book very soon....

#69896 - 05/30/07 10:03 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It IS great that Mr. Parfitt himself participates in this forum but, Mr. Parfitt, please be careful not to conduct promotions or advertisements of your website, products, or services as this practice is prohibited here on our forum. You may, however, include a short description along with your URL in the signature file of your "my profile" and that way as you participate in non-promotional postings people can see and then choose to click the link in your signature file. Thanks for understanding.

Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69897 - 07/29/07 11:51 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well I finished Tim Parfitt’s book, A Load of Bull. I had to wait six weeks for it to be delivered. rolleyes

But I first I have to thank everyone who posted information about the book, because I doubt I would have never discovered this gem of book on my own. It is good have a MadridMan website in ones life. wink

The book is funny, very funny. I found myself laughing as I was reading each chapter. I had to watch myself a few times as I was reading it because I was going home on the New York City subway and did not anyone think I was enjoying the subway ride.

From reading about the author’s troubles trying to fit in with the Madrilenos, their eating habits and his hilarious insights of the Spanish culture, Madrid will never look the same way again.

I have to add, I really enjoyed how the book ended. Instead of Tom Parfitt lives happy ever after, which he does, the author has a surprising and funny ending. I going to read Load of Bull again! cloud9

Also I think I anytime I see a goat, I will think about a church, a flying goat and I have to laugh. thumbsup

Thanks all for sharing!
Bill

#69898 - 07/29/07 10:48 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

What a coincidence! I just finished the book, too. I really enjoyed it and I thought the descriptions of the Spanish food and culture were dead-on based on my experiences living there. I also had to wait for my book to arrive as I ordered it through Amazon -- but only about a month. rolleyes

I agree that I will never think of a goat and church tower in quite the same way! wink

#69899 - 01/07/08 04:20 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well, I finally was able to read A Load of Bull over the Christmas vacation. It was a quick, fun read! I loved reading about all of the places I know and love...I especially enjoyed when Tim wrote about El Espejo on Calle Recoletas , one of my favorite places in Madrid. I agree with pedmar that reading about the different places in Madrid were like home to me too!

#69900 - 01/08/08 04:44 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

oh yes El Espejo, always a stop even for just a coffee, a must for me. Started going there since uhhh so many years...great memories indeed.
I have read the book a few times already...: smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments