Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#69893 - 05/24/07 08:25 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hi! Does anyone know where in Madrid I could find this book (in English)? I've already tried Fnac and La Casa del Libro.... frown

Thanks in advance!!!

#69894 - 05/24/07 01:12 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Tim Parfitt Offline

It should be at some of the VIPs stores but you can definitely get it at Hartley’s Good Bookshop in the Calle Padilla, 74 (corner of Alcántara),
28006 Madrid. Tel: 91 401 9077. It's a great little shop, run by a guy called Hartley Moorhouse. Please send him by best wishes if you call in. He should have some signed copies left ...

#69895 - 05/30/07 08:12 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Thanks so much! I already have a signed copy, it's going to be my souvenir-gift for my guiri-hubby after spending a whole month in Madrid....
I read somewhere (on Amazon, I think) that the author had a pad on calle Lope de Vega at the time he wrote the book, or something like that, which is fun for us, since we still own an attic in that same street . cool

I must say that I also find quite fantastic that Mr. Parfitt himself participates in this forum, it's so cool! smile

Looking forward to reading the book very soon....

#69896 - 05/30/07 10:03 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It IS great that Mr. Parfitt himself participates in this forum but, Mr. Parfitt, please be careful not to conduct promotions or advertisements of your website, products, or services as this practice is prohibited here on our forum. You may, however, include a short description along with your URL in the signature file of your "my profile" and that way as you participate in non-promotional postings people can see and then choose to click the link in your signature file. Thanks for understanding.

Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69897 - 07/29/07 11:51 AM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well I finished Tim Parfitt’s book, A Load of Bull. I had to wait six weeks for it to be delivered. rolleyes

But I first I have to thank everyone who posted information about the book, because I doubt I would have never discovered this gem of book on my own. It is good have a MadridMan website in ones life. wink

The book is funny, very funny. I found myself laughing as I was reading each chapter. I had to watch myself a few times as I was reading it because I was going home on the New York City subway and did not anyone think I was enjoying the subway ride.

From reading about the author’s troubles trying to fit in with the Madrilenos, their eating habits and his hilarious insights of the Spanish culture, Madrid will never look the same way again.

I have to add, I really enjoyed how the book ended. Instead of Tom Parfitt lives happy ever after, which he does, the author has a surprising and funny ending. I going to read Load of Bull again! cloud9

Also I think I anytime I see a goat, I will think about a church, a flying goat and I have to laugh. thumbsup

Thanks all for sharing!
Bill

#69898 - 07/29/07 10:48 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

What a coincidence! I just finished the book, too. I really enjoyed it and I thought the descriptions of the Spanish food and culture were dead-on based on my experiences living there. I also had to wait for my book to arrive as I ordered it through Amazon -- but only about a month. rolleyes

I agree that I will never think of a goat and church tower in quite the same way! wink

#69899 - 01/07/08 04:20 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well, I finally was able to read A Load of Bull over the Christmas vacation. It was a quick, fun read! I loved reading about all of the places I know and love...I especially enjoyed when Tim wrote about El Espejo on Calle Recoletas , one of my favorite places in Madrid. I agree with pedmar that reading about the different places in Madrid were like home to me too!

#69900 - 01/08/08 04:44 PM Re: Book: Foreigners in Spain Triumphs & Disasters
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
oh yes El Espejo, always a stop even for just a coffee, a must for me. Started going there since uhhh so many years...great memories indeed.
I have read the book a few times already...: smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments