Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69814 - 11/04/06 01:48 AM Chicago: playing "Volver"?
mar_arteaga Offline

anyone know where this is playing in chicago...it's supposed to be showing nationwide, but can't seem to find it in chi-town.

#69815 - 11/07/06 09:51 PM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

If I remember correctly, "Volver" was only opening in Los Angeles and New York this past weekend, which is a common practice for film releases. The last time I checked, it was going to open in the rest of the country on November 22. So, it would be a great outing for the Night Before Thanksgiving! I don't know if I will see it that night, but my friends and I are definitely planning to see it the opening weekend here! I'm very much looking forward to it. :jump:

#69816 - 11/27/06 11:25 AM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

mar_arteaga,
Did you see "Volver" this weekend? I went with some friends and we all really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how crowded the theater was, even at a late afternoon showing! I don't know if all the Oscar buzz will turn out to be true, but my friends and I thought it was really good.

#69817 - 12/02/06 01:13 AM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
mar_arteaga Offline

Hola Historiada,

Saw it. Although I'm not a die hard Almodovar fan, I think I've seen all of his movies by now and i have to say this is by far one of the best, perhaps because I'm a realist and it seems like this is the most believable. I actually expected to see a quirky movie, full of dark humor and a cast full of characters w/twisted lifestlyes, but no...these characters were incredibly common and their story is intense. I was really impressed by Penelope Cruz, whose only worthy performance was in "Abre Los Ojos." Anyway, the theater was sold out during a matinee showtime.
saludos, M
----
Find me at:
http://www.hi5.com/friend/profile/displayProfile.do?userid=22560556

#69818 - 12/05/06 12:28 AM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

mar_arteaga,
I would also have to say this is one of Almodóvar's best. I think your comment about the realism is true, too, since the characters do not have those insane backgrounds as they usually do. (However, I am always amazed how he makes you empathize with those crazy people despite their insanity!)
I would really like to see "Volver" again so that I can catch some little things that I missed or I'd like to look for now that I know what the movie is all about. I will be interested in watching American audiences react to this film since it has been so popular in Europe.

P.S. I know it's been nearly 20 years since "Mujeres al borde..." appeared and that she's supposed to be a grandmother, but geez, Carmen Maura does not look as if she has aged well! But, she was great in the movie!

#69819 - 12/05/06 10:48 AM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
SRedw Offline

I enjoyed the movie also and like la historiadora, I would like to watch it again to see things that I may have missed, There were parts where the characters whispered and it was difficult to just understand. I will buy the DVD and watch it with Spanish subtitles to catch certain nuances.

It was a great film and I would add it to my collection. I hope it gets good reviews here in the US in general.

Shawn

#69820 - 12/07/06 10:29 PM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
mar_arteaga Offline

historiada,

You are completely right, Carmen looks super old. I mean I know she's playing a grandmother, but she may has well been Penelope Cruz's grandmother!!! I too want to see it again to catch anything I may have missed- and I'm a native spanish speaker, don't feel bad Shawn, I think there was alot of colloquialism. Another interesting bit, was that I was expecting to see a past "almodovar girl" playing some obscure part, kind of like Leonor Watling did in Mala Educacion, or Marisa Paredes/Ceci Roth did in Hable Con Ella. The only one I noticed was Tia Paula, previously seen in Dark Habits and the Flower of my Secret, although her role in Volver I wouldn't say was obscure.

I'll be rooting for this one come Oscar night!
-Mar
----
Find me at:

#69821 - 12/08/06 08:55 AM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
SRedw Offline

Mar,

I understand a lot of the colloquialisms, but what burns me up and what I am seeing in a lot of movies is whispering to the point where you understand nothing. What is going on?

I was watching Chronicles of Narnia and the whispering got on my nerves. As soon as you turn the TV up to hear, music blasts and you have to turn the TV down.

This too shall pass.

I, too, hope that Almodóvar gets something on
Oscar night.

SIDE BAR

I saw a good Spanish comedy last night called Crimen Ferpecto (This is the actual name of the movie. It is not a mistake.). If you have a chance to check it out, please do. It's set in Madrid and involves a corpse, blackmail and a store like El Corte Inglés. It was shot in fnac in Callao and does a great job of the tension between store clerks in Spain to be no. 1 in sales. It came out in 2004. It was dark humor.

A great day to all,

Shawn

#69822 - 12/08/06 10:37 PM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seen the preview of the movie online and Penelope was looking good as always.I might check it out this weekend.

I recently saw one of her earlier films on TV,the film was called "Entre Rojas" and she plays an inmate in a womens prison who gets jailed because she supposedly was helping her boyfriend who was a dissident of Franco.The story takes place circa 1974,one year before Franco dies.On this film Penelope also showcases her excellent ballet skills.Overall,a good performance by her.

Saw Paz Vega(another hottie)on a new music video by Alejandro Sanz and she was oh! so sizzling.I think she's hotter than Penelope, heheehe laugh

Nah,it's a tie. :p

#69823 - 12/10/06 04:35 AM Re: Chicago: playing "Volver"?
mar_arteaga Offline

Shawn- that's an Alex de Iglesia film, who I think is a pretty good filmmaker. If you liked that movie, you should check out "El dia de la Bestia" it's soooo funny.

Rey- if you like Paz, you should check out "Lucia y el Sexo", it's a fantastic piece of work! Medem is my favorite spanish director!!!

mar
---
Find me at:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1849 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments