Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#69438 - 09/01/05 10:21 PM USA travel books printed in Spain....
jrdelar Offline

So while most of you are looking for good travel books about Spain, I want a travel book of the US but in Spanish and from a Spanish publisher.

Reason being I am a Spanish teacher and I am always teaching my classes about latin american/spanish cultures and I thought it would be fun as an intro to turn the tables and see what it is that the Spanish publishers are writing about American "culture".

I was just in Madrid a few weeks ago and I looked at El Corte Ingles and FNAC (didnt make it to Casa del Libro) and the only thing I found was Lonely Planet which I know is probably just some guidebook that was printed here and translated to Spanish. I really want something that is based out of Spain so that I can get the views on America from a foreigners standpoint.

There was one book on New York that was kinda comical, the first line in the "culture" section read something like "New Yorkers are very forward, if they dont like something, they will tell you!" How's that for generalizing?

Ideally I would like a specifically Chicago guidebook but Im sure thats not very popular, so I would settle for all of the US or at least the Midwest region (since that is where I am from and it might hit home more with the students).

Anybody have any ideas??? And if so, any way I can order it online and buy it without actually being there???

Thanks for any help and input smile

#69439 - 09/02/05 02:09 PM Re: USA travel books printed in Spain....
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
There was one book on New York that was kinda comical, the first line in the "culture" section read something like "New Yorkers are very forward, if they dont like something, they will tell you!" How's that for generalizing?
I do not like your question!

Bill

#69440 - 09/13/05 07:33 AM Re: USA travel books printed in Spain....
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
FNAC does have two Spanish language guides printed in Spain. The Guia Azul (GAEZA publisher) which may just be a translation of the Blue Guide and therefore not reflect Spanish impression of the US and the Anaya Touring Club. They don't have a guide on Chicago, but did have three various New York, Washington DC and California (http://www.anayatouring.com/).

The Casa del Libro website (http://www.casadellibro.com) also lists guides by AGUILAR, S.A. DE EDICIONES-GRUPO SANTILLANA and there is a Chicago guide (29.90 euro) available. I have one of their guides for somewhere else, and it appears to have been written in Spain.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments