Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69380 - 08/02/05 09:08 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Thanks Keeper,

Already read that one to death, and it is a good one.

#69381 - 08/18/05 12:27 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Being in a rather severe "I miss Spain and want to be there" funk this thread was of great interest. I have read, reread, and reread again the many books I own related to Spain and this list gave me some new options.

The library here went on a scavanger hunt for me and pulled a number of the suggested titles from all over the place -

Have finished Jack Hitt's "Off the Road ..." and thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit of a different take on walking the Camino but one I found to be honest, comincal and poignant at times. Even shed a tear or two - :o

For the purists out there - you might find what a friend who did walk part of the Camino referred to as Hitt's slightly irreverent attitude to be a put-off - I didn't see that in the book.

"The Last Serious Thing" (Schoenfeld) can't be called a definitive book on bullfighting by any means - but it is an excellent introduction into the emotions, especially behind the art of the torero. The author's love for both bullfighting and Sevilla in particular is evident - worth reading.

#69382 - 08/18/05 01:48 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Hi Puna,

Thanks a lot for your input. I just e-mailed the Booklady telling here I just finished her first suggested reading "Don Quixote's Delusions."

Definetyly a good read. smile Especailly for anyone wanting a light analyses of our illustrious caballero, the light and hope of knight errantry. The only problem is, I read it in only two days. frown

But, because of this excellent book, I've decided to read "Don Quixote" again. laugh

#69383 - 08/18/05 03:02 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

I was saving Don Quixote's Delusions" for the end of my "library haul" - sort of the theory of best for last laugh
Thanks for validating my first impression!

#69384 - 08/19/05 10:17 AM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I thought Chris Stewart's Driving Over Lemons was hilarious. Has anyone read George Orwell's Homage to Calalonia?

#69385 - 08/19/05 11:52 AM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
I thought Chris Stewart's Driving Over Lemons was hilarious. Has anyone read George Orwell's Homage to Calalonia?
Every time I read Lemons I laugh - yeah, it is a re-readable book wink And one of my favorites - not serious just simple fun -

Orwell's Homage to Catalonia is a classic - many consider it be the finest book written on the Civil War - Booklady - this is your kind of question .....

#69386 - 08/19/05 01:07 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Lately I have been spending my time not reading but looking at photographs of Spain. Recently I looked at two photographers' photos of Barcelona. To get ideas of the light and what off the beaten path I could take photos of when I visit Barcelona in October.

Also I checking out photos of Girona see what photo ops are there too!

So if anyone know of any good photos on the internet I am alway interested. laugh

Bill

#69387 - 08/26/05 10:32 AM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Finished Miranda France's "Don Quixote's Delusions" late last night- or early this morning - and loved it!

Completely original and fun, "Delusions" is written from both the aspect of relating to serious literature as well as from the perspective of the author - from 10 years prior as a student to her perspective as a published author and (hate to use the term but) more mature adult.

Highly recommended - and yes, it does make you decide to reread Don Quixote!!

#69388 - 08/26/05 09:33 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Lynette Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Diana was right on the money! Good suggestions in her list and I read "Traveller's Tales" in June just before my most recent trip to Spain in July and loved it. All this talk makes me want to re-read Quijote as well..."Yo se quien soy".
Anyone seen Terry Gilliam's "Lost in La Mancha"?

#69389 - 09/17/05 10:43 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
jlnastal Offline

Loc: Madrid
The Buried Mirror by Carlos Fuentes is worth reading for a Spanish-Latin American (incl Mexico) perspective. It reads quite well; clear, interesting, well-written. Definitely not a dry history text.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments