Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69380 - 08/02/05 09:08 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Thanks Keeper,

Already read that one to death, and it is a good one.

#69381 - 08/18/05 12:27 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Being in a rather severe "I miss Spain and want to be there" funk this thread was of great interest. I have read, reread, and reread again the many books I own related to Spain and this list gave me some new options.

The library here went on a scavanger hunt for me and pulled a number of the suggested titles from all over the place -

Have finished Jack Hitt's "Off the Road ..." and thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit of a different take on walking the Camino but one I found to be honest, comincal and poignant at times. Even shed a tear or two - :o

For the purists out there - you might find what a friend who did walk part of the Camino referred to as Hitt's slightly irreverent attitude to be a put-off - I didn't see that in the book.

"The Last Serious Thing" (Schoenfeld) can't be called a definitive book on bullfighting by any means - but it is an excellent introduction into the emotions, especially behind the art of the torero. The author's love for both bullfighting and Sevilla in particular is evident - worth reading.

#69382 - 08/18/05 01:48 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Hi Puna,

Thanks a lot for your input. I just e-mailed the Booklady telling here I just finished her first suggested reading "Don Quixote's Delusions."

Definetyly a good read. smile Especailly for anyone wanting a light analyses of our illustrious caballero, the light and hope of knight errantry. The only problem is, I read it in only two days. frown

But, because of this excellent book, I've decided to read "Don Quixote" again. laugh

#69383 - 08/18/05 03:02 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

I was saving Don Quixote's Delusions" for the end of my "library haul" - sort of the theory of best for last laugh
Thanks for validating my first impression!

#69384 - 08/19/05 10:17 AM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I thought Chris Stewart's Driving Over Lemons was hilarious. Has anyone read George Orwell's Homage to Calalonia?

#69385 - 08/19/05 11:52 AM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
I thought Chris Stewart's Driving Over Lemons was hilarious. Has anyone read George Orwell's Homage to Calalonia?
Every time I read Lemons I laugh - yeah, it is a re-readable book wink And one of my favorites - not serious just simple fun -

Orwell's Homage to Catalonia is a classic - many consider it be the finest book written on the Civil War - Booklady - this is your kind of question .....

#69386 - 08/19/05 01:07 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Lately I have been spending my time not reading but looking at photographs of Spain. Recently I looked at two photographers' photos of Barcelona. To get ideas of the light and what off the beaten path I could take photos of when I visit Barcelona in October.

Also I checking out photos of Girona see what photo ops are there too!

So if anyone know of any good photos on the internet I am alway interested. laugh

Bill

#69387 - 08/26/05 10:32 AM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Finished Miranda France's "Don Quixote's Delusions" late last night- or early this morning - and loved it!

Completely original and fun, "Delusions" is written from both the aspect of relating to serious literature as well as from the perspective of the author - from 10 years prior as a student to her perspective as a published author and (hate to use the term but) more mature adult.

Highly recommended - and yes, it does make you decide to reread Don Quixote!!

#69388 - 08/26/05 09:33 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
Lynette Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Diana was right on the money! Good suggestions in her list and I read "Traveller's Tales" in June just before my most recent trip to Spain in July and loved it. All this talk makes me want to re-read Quijote as well..."Yo se quien soy".
Anyone seen Terry Gilliam's "Lost in La Mancha"?

#69389 - 09/17/05 10:43 PM Re: Anyone Read Any Good Travel Books About Spain?
jlnastal Offline

Loc: Madrid
The Buried Mirror by Carlos Fuentes is worth reading for a Spanish-Latin American (incl Mexico) perspective. It reads quite well; clear, interesting, well-written. Definitely not a dry history text.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2022 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments