Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69151 - 04/06/05 04:56 PM Spanish Literature suggestions?
Eduardo Corrida Offline

Loc: USA
I'm going to Spain next week and would like to bring a good book to keep me occupied. I've just read Ernesto Sabato's "El Tunel" and liked it a lot. A few months ago i read Oscar Hernandez's "El Viaje de Marcos." I liked that one too, but can't seem to find his other books anywhere. confused Does anyone have a suggestion for a modern book in Spanish? I'm looking for something edgy and captivating.

Mil Gracias

#69152 - 04/06/05 06:35 PM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Have you read any Jorge Luis Borges? His short stories are definitely captivating. The collection EL ADELPH is a particularly good collection. You will not be disappointed.

#69153 - 04/06/05 07:41 PM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Could you be a little more specific? By that I mean...do you want to continue with Latin American literature or do you want to read peninsula? Do you have a time frame in mind?

Sheryl

#69154 - 04/06/05 10:50 PM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
Eduardo Corrida Offline

Peninsular lit. would be preferable. But I'm open to anything. With regard to the time frame...anything really in the past 50 years. A book thats about young adults, for young adults is what Im interested in.

thanks!

#69155 - 04/07/05 03:51 AM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
Why not try 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? (Cien Años de Soledad).

Not wanted to over push this book but I happen to believe it is the greatest book ever written and was the deciding factor when I accepted a job in Spain, so I could start to learn Spanish and read the book in it's original language.

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#69156 - 04/07/05 08:54 AM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
If you are looking for something comtemporary and peninsular about young adults, try Historias del Kronen by José Ángel Mañas. It is about a group of friends in Madrid who spend their time drinking and doing drugs and the consequences that occur from their expoits. It is one of my favorite books, and is a great way to learn some of the current slang used by madrileños.

#69157 - 04/07/05 01:35 PM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
Eduardo Corrida Offline

Now THAT'S EXACTLY what I was looking for...I'll try to find that book today. Thank you so much!

#69158 - 04/08/05 05:52 PM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
mmh166 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Try MENSAKA... Same author as above, different incredibly amazing title about the music scene and a struggling band in Madrid... This was also made into a successful, equally entertaining movie. Two thumbs up if edgy modern iberian lit is your thing.

#69159 - 04/08/05 09:11 PM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
Eduardo Corrida Offline

Thanks for the suggestions. Contemporary edgy iberian lit. is definetely what I'm looking for. I've bought Historias del Kronen, and it looks really good. I'm going to save it for my trip to Spain next week. Thanks again everyone.

#69160 - 04/26/05 05:13 AM Re: Spanish Literature suggestions?
KateP Offline

Loc: Finland
Hi,

I've read two books by Jose Luis Sampedro and fell in love with both.

"La Vieja Sirena" is a 700 page long book, and it takes a while to get into it but then ...

"La Sonrisa Etrusca" was also a fabulous novel.

K smile

I realize the books I recommended was not necessarily what you were looking for as the Sirena is placed in ancient Egypt, while the other one is about an older man. But still worth reading! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2730 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments