Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69046 - 02/26/05 05:44 AM Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
1 De eso no se habla / We don't want to talk about it. Argentinian film.
2 La Ardilla Roja / The Red Squirrel One of Julio Medem's masterpieces.
3 Carne Tremula / Live Flesh

I'm hoping to get other people's recommendations here to steer me in the right direction!
By the way, here's a good spot to look at Latin American options! LatAmericanFilms wink

#69047 - 02/26/05 09:14 AM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
filbert, regarding Spanish films from Spain, I JUST SAW La Ardilla Roja JUST LAST WEEKEND on TVEi!! In fact, I taped it. Good movie - from 1993.

I'd say my all-time favorite Spanish movie would be:

Lengua de las Mariposas (1999) - takes place in a small village in Galicia during the Spanish Civil War.

I'll have to think about my other 2 favorite Spanish movies.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69048 - 02/26/05 09:50 AM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
LouW Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I have enjoyed every Pedro Almodovar movie I've seen, particularly

-Atame! (Victoria Abril!!!, Antonio Banderas)
-Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Carmen Maura, Antonio Banderas)
-Matador (Banderas, Maura & others I can't recall)

Some non-Almodovar enjoyable pics

-Belle Epoque (Penelope Cruz, Jorge Sanz)
-Abre los Ojos (Penelope Cruz, Eduardo Noriega, Fele Martinez, Najwa Nimri)
-Lovers of the Artic Circle (Fele Martinez, Najwa Nimri)

Check out imdb.com for others, you can search by artist, director, etc.

#69049 - 02/26/05 12:27 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Well, although I'm not a big fan of foreign films (reasons are too long to list), a beautiful film is Los santos inocentes . When the film was made, I, frankly, couldn't imagine it...I read the book (by Miguel Delibes) and couldn't imagine how this particular book could be made into a film...but then I saw it...fabulous...and it's understandable for why it won the Cannes Film festival.

Sheryl

#69050 - 02/26/05 12:55 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Jeeze, just three? I'm terrible at these. I like a number of the films already mentioned, but let's name some more. Here goes:

1) Early Berlanga films: "Bienvenido Mr. Marshall", "El Verdugo" and "Plácido" (the last one is probably my all-time favorite)

2) "Solas" by Benito Zambrana (1998). It's just a straightfoward, simple and sensitive story with nothing special, but told perfectly. That's what I think makes it so special. In my opinion it's the real "Todo Sobre Mi Madre"

3) Amenábar's first film "Tesis". A great thriller. I'm not sure if this falls in my top three list, but it's a great achievement for his first movie.

smile The smiley face is at the request of my daughter Ana who wants to say hello to you all.

#69051 - 02/26/05 01:10 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
What if I hate spanish films? laugh

I like Amenabar's movies, and a pair of other spanish movies, but in general I think that spanish movies are really really awful.

Fernando

#69052 - 02/26/05 09:21 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
In my Spanish class at Instituto Cervantes last fall we watched Alejandro Amenábar's "Abre Los Ojos". I love this movie and have probably screened my DVD at least a dozen times. As a sidebar, I've never seen any other film that makes Madrid look as beautiful as this film does.
I enjoy seeing any movie directed by Pedro Almódovar or any film starring Mexican actor Gail Garcia Bernal including "Y Tu Mama También", "The Crime of Padre Amaro", Motorcycle Diaries", etc.
I am a big fan of Luis Buñel especially "The Exterminating Angel". Also just saw a new print of his "Los Olvidados" which has to be one of my Spanish-language favorites.

#69053 - 02/27/05 03:23 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
ArgeHou Offline

Loc: Houston
Hey..

"Como agua para chocolate".. good film, don't know who directed it or other details, just as good as the book, "Y tu mama tambien" is also really good..

"Tango" by Carlos Saura.. it was a little slow at times but great dance scenes..

"Talk to her", loved it

Still havn't seen "Mar Adentro", but I'm sure it will be ranked up there with as one of my favorites

#69054 - 02/27/05 04:57 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
la calma Offline

Loc: Germany
Hola!

...all the films that Carlos Saura and Antonio Gades did together. My favourite among them is "Bodas de Sangre".

Ole!
la calma

#69055 - 02/27/05 11:20 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
miche_dup1 Offline

I love the dance numbers in Saura's 'Tango'. I don't really like the story but the choreography and music (Lalo Schifrin)is stunning and extra special to me because I've seen some of the dancers perform here in London.

Saura's 'Flamenco',...wow. Blew me away, authentic really really authentic flamenco.

Laura Esquivel, author of 'Como agua para chocolate' also helped direct the film. which I love.

I really enjoyed 'sexo y Lucia', especially for the cinematography.
'Spirit of the beehive', 'Crias CUervos',
'Amorres Perros' wowowow. no no i can't choose.

'Jamon Jamon' 'Huevos de oro', are great and I really fancy BArdem laugh
Jamon Jamon really made an impression on me with those huge landmark steel bulls.

'La bella del Alhambra', (I think that's the title). A Cuban film. Sweet sweet Cuban songs and dances. Siboneeyyy.

I can't get enough access to Spanish/world cinema.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1765 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments