Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69056 - 03/26/06 03:17 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
OK, I confess that I usually tend to enjoy French Foreign films the most. Last night however, I saw the film "Mar Adentro" at a nearby University. Wow! It was truly a fantastic film. I felt like I knew each character for years and loved the complexities of their relationships. I admit to shedding some tears too(actually many tears)....it was very moving. Hence, I highly recommend the film. But if you are in the mood for a good laugh, then it is "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" that gets my vote.

#69057 - 03/26/06 07:22 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Giulia Offline

Loc: Madrid and Urbino - Italy
Three great Spanish films:

Icíar Bollaín's Te doy mis ojos
Fernando León de Aranoa's Los lunes al sol
Benito Zambrano's Solas

Not necessarily in this order.
(also some of Almodovar's like Hable con ella, Todo sobre mi madre and some early and crazy ones).

#69058 - 03/28/06 10:27 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
-"Abre Los Ojos"
-"Exterminating Angel"
-"Los Olvidados"

#69059 - 04/02/06 11:19 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Gretchen6 Offline

MadridMan....Thanks for the tip on the film Lengua de las Mariposas. I rented it today and it was an outstanding film. At first, it reminded me of Cinema Paradiso (My favorite Italian film) but this was much more profound. I do have a question for you though. In the end when Moncho turns on his teacher, he yells many things but not all are negative, right? So....he didn't totally betray him and showed some hidden support? Or is this just me desperately looking for something positive at the end? I would love to hear your thoughts. Muchas Gracias smile

#69060 - 04/03/06 03:07 AM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Gretchen6, I don't think there's any hope for a happy, Hollywood ending in this movie "La Lengua de las Mariposas". These prisoners being hauled off in the back of that truck - including the boys teacher, are being taken to their execution or to years and years in jail.

I think it's left up to the viewer to wonder if the boy, Moncho, TRULY turns on his teacher because "the mob" is shouting all the same things like "¡ATEO! ¡PAYASO! ¡ROJO!" or is he doing it to "protect" the ideals of his own family? His own mother instructs Moncho to shout these things in order to publicly deny any possibility that the family believes in the ideals of these "Rojos" (and remember, people were labeled such if they were entertainers, gay, educators, artists, and, well, those who verbally shared their counter-government-related-ideas publicly) even though the father held these same ideals but (so far) was not found out and labeled as one of "them". Yet. These acts of rounding up people was a strong statement to others that they SHOULD follow/support the current government (Franco's dictatorship) or suffer the consequences.

Remember, this is a small boy and doesn't likely understand the politics surrounding him so he does what he's told and believes the things that the people around him believe - whether right or wrong.

In the movie, we see Moncho's teacher (in the classroom) giving a speach when being honored for his lifelong dedication as a teacher. In that speach, the teacher pronounces how animals/insects (I think) were born to live free, etcetera. This speach has strong anti-government overtones and one of the attendants, a powerfu, rich businessman (the father of one of the students) storms out of the room.

So "en fin", no, I don't think Moncho mixes-in any positive things to shout at the teacher while running behind the truck and throwing stones with the others. The heart-breaking look on the teacher's face as he watches his favorite student, who was like his only son, shouting these things at him is powerful. I get tears everytime I watch it. frown

On another note, I can't believe I STILL haven't seen "Mar Adentro"! I'm waiting to get/see it on DVD so I can view it with English subtitles.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69061 - 04/03/06 01:36 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Gretchen6 Offline

MadridMan....Thank you for your insight on the film. I would have to agree with you on the very sad ending indeed. It is a film that I will have on my mind for a long time. I watched the ending again and Moncho yells out all the negative words that the mob yells out but also "Tilonorrinco" and "Probosci". (Words I wouldn't have caught without the subtitles) But in the end, I would have to agree with you that he is too young to fully comprehend the impact of his words. Nonetheless, I interpret the last look on his face as regret and sadness.

OK...enough is enough MadridMan....see Mar Adentro... Ya!

#69062 - 04/03/06 01:50 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
Wow, I really don't know if I can pick just three. So many great films have been named already, such as Bienvenido Mr. Marshall by Berlanga and Carlos Saura's flamenco films. I wrote my undergraduate honors thesis on Alejandro Amenábar, so Tesis has to be up there as well. Almodóvar's earlier work defined the movida madrileña, but his newer stuff shows a maturity that reflects the growing of Spanish society as well. Bueno, here is my attempt at picking just three (in no particular order)

1. La lengua de las mariposas
2. Abre los ojos
3. Mar adentro

And a list of other Spanish films worth checking out:
Manolito Gafotas (HILARIOUS)
Ay, Carmela!
Todo sobre mi madre
La mala educación
Los amantes del círculo polar
El flor de mi secreto
Solas
Flores de otro mundo

#69063 - 04/03/06 05:54 PM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Agent Sands Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
My three favorite Spanish films so far:

1. diarios de motocicleta- cuz ilove to travel the world. let the world change you, and you can change the world!
2. trece campanadas-,cuz it was filmed in Santiago de Compostela!

3. tesis- what a great thriller!

honorable mention:
a. nadie conoce nadie- cuz it was shot in seville during semana santa
b. luna llena-juan diego botto is such a good actor
c. tuno negro-cuz it was filmed in salamanca
d. equis- film noir spanish style
e. los sin nombres-creepy
f. la ciudad sin limetes-movie made me reconcile with my father's love
g. el laberinto griego- cuz it was filmed in barcelona

#69064 - 04/05/06 02:26 AM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
I love the movie "Nada en la Nevera." I've looked high and low for this on DVD. It's a dumb comedy, but for some reason, I found it really hilarious.

On the serious side, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Abre los Ojos and Tesis. Eduardo Noriega is the hottest man alive.

#69065 - 04/05/06 09:39 AM Re: Your 3 favourite Spanish language films.
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
OK, let's dump the high-brow stuff and cut right to the chase.

My favorite is Son de Mar because there are many scenes in which Leonor Watling is desnuda.

Hable con Ella should also be watched for the same reason.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments