MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#68907 - 01/18/05 02:26 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You're right. I didn't express myself very well. What I meant to say was that it was probably too literal and not translated accurately. What I don't know is if that was done on purpose or not! You never know sometimes! smile Intentional or not, I kind of like it, even though it sounds a little odd (How about "The Sea Within"?).

#68908 - 01/18/05 03:19 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
esperanza writes:
Quote:
It was so wonderful to see Mar Adentro win the Golden Globe award last night! Now, maybe the movie will have more of a distribution in the US...I hope so!
For sure! cool
It was awarded the Golden Globe for best foreign language film - but that shouldn't deter any of us who are fluent in Castellano. rolleyes

#68909 - 01/24/05 10:11 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
salamanca02 Offline

Loc: usa
I have heard so much about this movie, but have yet to see the listings for it.... i live in northern california...anyone know when this movie comes out in this area???? i cannot wait to see it!

Muchas gracias laugh

#68910 - 01/24/05 10:23 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
Quote:
I thought that was a literal translation until you mentioned it. According to wordreference, "mar adentro" means "out to sea", which is quite different from "the sea inside". For those who have seen it, would "Out to Sea" have been a more appropriate English title?

Edit: wait, "sea inside" is the literal translation (if mar = sea, and adentro = inside). But, apparently, this is not what the phrase "mar adentro" means....so by translating literally, they've changed the meaning
Yes, you're right. The appropiate translation would be "Out to Sea" for "Mar Adentro".

If the title was "El mar adentro", that could be translated "The Sea Inside".

But that's nothing...don't ask about the spanish translation of american movie titles... ehem rolleyes

#68911 - 01/31/05 09:23 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
"The Sea Inside Hogs a Bland Goya Gala"
-- El País Herald English Edition , Tuesday February 1, 2005

"Alejandro Amenábar's drama about euthanasia broke all records, taking 14 Film Academy awards."

And I watched it all LIVE!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68912 - 02/28/05 08:39 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hey! I didn't even watch the Oscars last night - forgot they were even on, to tell you the truth - but am happy to hear (from pim!) that this (apparently) wonderful movie won the Best Foreign Film award. Congratulations, Alejandro!!!!!!

Now, if the movie would just come to Columbus, Ohio!! I'd LOVE to see it! Maybe now that they've won. We'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68913 - 02/28/05 11:44 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I totally share Madridman's sentiments about this movie and was overjoyed to see Amenábar win the Oscar. I first saw "Mar Adentro" in Madrid last fall while attending language classes there. It was the first time I ever went to a movie theatre to see a film in Spanish without English subtitles. Even here in New York City, the movie is being shown in only one location. I would imagine that there will be wider distribution all over beginning Friday.

#68914 - 02/28/05 01:19 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
MadridMan, Too bad you did not get to see the moment Spain won last night...you would have loved to see Gwyneth Paltrow's enthusiastic awarding of the Oscar to Amenábar...it was obvious she was thrilled that Spain won! I read recently that she spent time in Talavera de la Reina studying for a year ( or a semester) many years ago, and she loves Spain! When she announced the winner...she said "and the Oscar goes to Espańa "

#68915 - 02/28/05 03:12 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Don't know if anyone else got a bit teary eyed when Gwyneth Paltrow made the comment about the Oscar going to Espana - I certainly did! :o Although, to be honest, the people I was watching with expected nothing else! A most deserved award and recognition for a brilliant and beatiful film!

#68916 - 02/28/05 03:32 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

DARNIT! mad What a shame I missed is. Surely I can find the clip on the internet somewhere.. or see it tonight on TVEi!!!

Mmmmm.. Gwyneth Paltro... Mmmmm.. :p I think she's my favorite actress.... Mmmmm... I've heard her speak in what seemed to be perfect Spanish in interviews and I thought, "WOW! She's even MORE attractive now!" I knew she studied in Spain, I thought in Toledo but Talavera de la Reina is in the Toledo province - not in the city itself.

Again, Congratulations to Alejandro Amenábar and also to Javier Bardem!

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments