Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6887 - 04/17/04 04:15 PM doubles? singles? beds?
bpfox Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'm confused about the terminology pertaining to rooms and beds in Spain! Does a double room mean two beds or two people and one bed? How do you book a room for 2 adults and 2 children (are roll away beds common and how do you request them, i.e. what is the Spanish word/phrase for them)? Are hostels or hotels more amenable to families?

#6888 - 04/17/04 04:38 PM Re: doubles? singles? beds?
GK Offline

Loc: ISRAEL
Hi bpfox,

I can help you with the semantics.
Twin bed stands for two single beds - 2 sleeps
Double bed stands for one large bad for a couple – again 2 sleeps
About the rest I am still looking for those answers my self.

GK

#6889 - 04/17/04 04:53 PM Re: doubles? singles? beds?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
A double room means a room for two people. Whether it has one or two beds is something that, if it is not stated in the hotel's brochure/Web page, you have to ask directly. Most hotels have more two-bed rooms than one-big-bed rooms in my experience, because they are more flexible.

An additional bed is called in Spanish 'cama supletoria'. It is uncommon to request for two 'camas supletorias', but some hotels can have rooms large enough to fit them. I've never asked for it, so I can't provide first hand experience. When contacting the hotel, I would say clearly that the beds are for two kids, and not for four adults sharing the room (they can suggest you to book two doubles instead). Some hotels have communicated rooms (with double door) that can be another option to consider.

Another Spanish words that can be of use in your search are 'Habitacion triple' (room for three people), and 'Habitacion cuadruple' (room for four people).

#6890 - 04/17/04 05:12 PM Re: doubles? singles? beds?
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
More terminology:
double room: una habitación doble
one double bed: cama matrimonial
two single beds: dos camas individuales

The trend I saw in advertisement or room descriptions was that with double rooms, if they didn´t specify, it was two double beds. Also, triple rooms are often double beds with a single be moved in. I agree that it is probably best to explain your situation to the inkeeper, so they can help you find a solution that meets your needs, and your budget. If your children are small, or one of them is, sometimes they can move in an extra child-size bed.

Have a great time!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1808 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments