MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68757 - 08/22/04 06:33 PM Madrid based crime novels
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
Are there any crime novels set in Madrid??? confused

I've recently read the books of Dominic Martell which are noirish thrillers set in, and really capturing the atmosphere of, Barcelona.

Are there any authors who write about similar but set in Madrid?? confused

#68758 - 08/22/04 06:36 PM Re: Madrid based crime novels
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Oooh, yes please ... I'd be interested in this too cool (does that look like a convincing spy wink ?)

#68759 - 08/23/04 08:57 AM Re: Madrid based crime novels
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
This sounds an excellent idea. If there isn't already a crime-series set in Madrid, there should be. Perhaps we could set up a co-operative on this board? We could co-write the next big crime series? Or (to go off at an angle) a sit-com based on young English teachers living in an apartment in Madrid. We could call it Amigos..... laugh

#68760 - 08/23/04 09:54 AM Re: Madrid based crime novels
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
I don't really read his books, but I think some of the Manuel Vázquez Montalbán noir novels take place in Madrid.

#68761 - 08/23/04 05:21 PM Re: Madrid based crime novels
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Last year there was a tv movie or a movie on tv which was about a man who testified against his gang from a robbery and who lived incognito in a witness protection program in Andalucia. A hit man found him and the story is about them and other people they encounter on their way back to Paris, where the hit man is to bring him before he kills. I don't remember the name, but it was both violent and very good, so I assume it was based on a book. Anyone remember this movie? There was a long key scene in Madrid. I'd like to know who the author was.

#68762 - 08/24/04 12:31 AM Re: Madrid based crime novels
Pingüino Offline

Loc: Destin FL
Martin,
I can't help with who wrote the novel, but the film in question was "The Hit" (1984) with Terrance Stamp, Tim Roth, and Laura del Sol.
Decent film...especially the scenes of Monasterio de Piedra.

Pingüino
Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

#68763 - 08/24/04 05:47 AM Re: Madrid based crime novels
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
There are lots of books Set in Spain in English, (but no where near as many as England or Italy). I have read "Bones of the Buried," by David Roberts set during the Spanish Civil War back and forth between Madrid and the UK. Sort of like Dorothy L. Sayers' Peter Whimsey character. It is one of four books with these characters. Lindsey Davis has "Dying Light in Corduba" is set in Roman Cordoba. These are the only ones I've read so far, but below are some others set in Madrid and/or Spain I've run across at BN.com but can't vouch for.

There are two books by Rebecca Pawel using the Guardia Civil in Madrid and Salamanca shortly after the Civil War, "Death of a Nationalist" and "Law of Return." I haven't read either yet, so look on BN.com or Amazon.com for reviews.

Robert Wilson has one set in Sevilla, "The Blind Man of Seville," not great reviews and has others set in Lisbon.

There is also Arturo Pérez-Reverte who has several that are now available in English translation.

Nancy Fairbanks has "The Perils of Paella" set in Barcelona.

Caroline Roe has several books set in medieval Girona.

Translations of Javier Maria's books are available.

Translations of Manuel Vazquez Montalban's books are available.

David Serafin has a series of books that appear set in southern Spain, most currently out of print and no synopsis on BN.com.

Michael Jecks' "The Templar's Penance" is another medieval mystery set on the pilgimage to Santiago de Compostelo.

Roderic Jeffries has a series set on Mallorca.

Denise Osborne's "Cut to: Murder" is set in Spain.

Mary Branham's "Three Deadly Days in Spain."

Translations of Maria-Antonia Oliver's books.

T. Bice Burch's "Ancient Tortures: A Mediterranean Mystery" is set on Minorca.

#68764 - 09/05/04 07:40 AM Re: Madrid based crime novels
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I've just bought a magazine here in the UK entitled 'vivaespaña' which has some marvellous photography (unfortunately I can't find a URL for it). In its book review there is an entry for a new book called 'Death of a nationalist' by Rebecca Pawel. No ISBN is given but the book can apparently be obtained from www.thespanishbookshop.com
I include some of the review here..
" Publishers Weekly selected this title as a Best Mystery of 2003. The main character is Carlos Tejada Alonso y Léon, a conservative authority figure in the Guardia Civil, who investigates the killing of a comrade......The author obviously did considerable research on post-war Madrid and acknowledges her sources of oral history from that period. This is an absorbing read from start to finish"

Has anyone read this yet? Is it as good as this review seems to imply?

PS apologies to the previous post by ChrisR. I've just noticed that this book has already been noted.

#68765 - 09/05/04 11:30 AM Re: Madrid based crime novels
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
filbert,
is this it? Viva Espana Magazine

Gosh, looks like they don't give away much content on the web. confused

#68766 - 09/07/04 04:51 PM Re: Madrid based crime novels
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I really enjoy the books by Alicia Giménez Bartlett although they are also set in Barcelona, not Madrid. Good, intriguing police/crime novels!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2048 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments