Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#68515 - 03/19/04 01:20 PM Medem documentary re: Basques
mittens Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, USA
I’m not sure if this post should be in the new political forum. I'm sure MM will let me know. smile I’m wondering if anyone here has seen the documentary “La Pelota vasca. La piel contra la piedra” by Julio Medem (director of Lucia y el Sexo – a great film). Anyway, I saw “Basque Ball” at Sundance and it was an overwhelming introduction to the history and present state of the Basque conflict. I think he interviewed 70+ people from all sides – ETA sympathizers, people whose family members were killed by ETA, and people caught in the middle of struggle. It was well-made, I think, but a lot of information to process, especially by someone who did not grow up in Spain. It seems he tried to make a non-biased film but I know it did spark some controversy. I’m wondering if anyone here (especially Spaniards) have heard of it or seen it and if they feel it was fair or accurate.

My interest in Spain has drawn me to a pursuit to understand the history and politics of the regions – I have read a little about Catalunya but nothing yet of Basque country.

mittens

#68516 - 03/31/04 02:32 AM Re: Medem documentary re: Basques
Miguelito Offline

I haven't watched it, and although it looks that it's not neutral (more oriented to basque nationalism) I think it's an interesting effort.
It has also some faults as no PP members wanted to be filmed and a few familiars of terrorist victims wanted to be removed from the film as they weren't satisfied with the post-production result.

#68517 - 05/10/04 06:57 PM Re: Medem documentary re: Basques
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
I saw it at the Chicago Film Festival. I personally did not enjoy it at all. I produced and edited a documentary and as far as production values, the doc didn't have a beginning, middle or end. No climax and resolution, so you had no idea when it was going to end. I believe that this is the director's first foray into documentary filmmaking, so the strange elements that worked in his narratives that I've seem (el Sexo y Lucía, Amantes del Circolo Polar) didn't work here.

It's basically 110 minutes of interviews with politicians, musicians, analysts, poet, victims of ETA, victims of the Guardia Civil. He presents both side, but if you know absolutely nothing about the conflict, it might prove a little difficult. They talk about Batasuna and don't tell you what it is right away, etc. While the testimonies are moving, I couldn't enjoy tehm due to the fact that they were interspersed with sweeping shots of beautiful Pais Vasco. So in the middle of an interview, you'd have a travel-show type shot of a beach and then more interviews. Then at the end, Julio Medem has the camera shot go over every single interviewee's head and beyond, which takes FOREVER.

I wouldn't recommend it. If you're really interested, reading a book about it would be more helpful.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments