MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#68502 - 03/12/04 02:45 AM CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
Miguelito Offline

They call them separatist basque group.

If you want to sign this petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/ETA/petition.html

Could CNN use a bit of decency, and stop calling ETA "separatists" and use the correct term (endorsed by the US Government and the EU ) for them which is no other than TERRORISTS.

This are the media that don't call ETA terrorist
CNN
BBC
The New York Times
The Washington Post
The Wall Street Journal
Reuters
USA Today
The Guardian
The Independent
Los Angeles Times
Nouvel Observateur
Herald Tribune
Libèration
Jerusalem Post

This others call them terrorist:
The Times
Corriere della Sera
La Repubblica
Fox News

#68503 - 03/12/04 05:37 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Miguelito. Not sure if you've seen it yet or not but we had been discussing this topic about CNN and the term "Basque Separatists" in the " Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again " thread.

USATODAY.com is the same in the article HERE where they say "Spain at first blamed Basque separatists but a shadowy group claimed responsibility in the name of al-Qaeda for the worst terrorist attack in Spanish history."

Seems we can't get the phrase "Separatists" out of our head to replace it with "Basque Terrorist Group".

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68504 - 03/12/04 06:38 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
Miguelito Offline

OK, I didn't read it, thank you.
I just wanted to add the link to the petition to ask CNN to call them terrorist, not to beguin a discussion.
If you think it's better to add it inside that thread it's OK for me

#68505 - 03/12/04 07:10 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
dave99 Offline

Loc: UK
I have always heard the term basque seperatists for many years. There was a spanish politician who was speaking on bbc radio yesterday and he reiterated the fact that they are "terrorists" in the UK/USA/ESP definitions, the news presenter accepted the mistake - I think it is probably right that everybody is just used to the term and that is what rolls easily off the tongue.

I noticed Sky News also calling them seperatists yesterday.

#68506 - 03/12/04 09:18 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
We should explain forgeiners why we are so bluntly against calling ETA terrorists "basque separatists".

If you call them basque separatists you are not distinguishing between true basque separatists (normal citizens who just opt for a political option), and those ETA gangsters who commit every year numerous assasinations, kindnapping, extorsions,...

ETA is a terrorist organization, and there is no way we can accept the term "basque separatists".

Fernando

#68507 - 03/13/04 04:02 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Switching last night between local Spanish coverage of the millions of people taking to the street all over Madrid and Spain to CNN, I finally heard the newsreader call ETA "a terrorist" organization without any qualification. Maybe someone is finally getting the point!

#68508 - 03/13/04 06:27 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
Those are good news!
Well, no they are not, given the circumstances. frown It is not worth the pain, if it took 200 hundred dead people for the "balanced" and "neat" CNN (and others) to understand their bias when using such a "neutral" term such as Basque separatists.
In the BBC web the other day, they went as far as talking about the attacks from "Basque nationalists", as if Ibarretxe or any other parliament member went around putting bombs.
So far there are some 30 000 signatures, not bad, but I hope they go much further. Thank you very much for the link, Miguelito.
I am amazed at the Jerusalem Post. I say, the JERUSALEM POST!!! Who might be more aware than the Israelis on the difference between politics and terrorism?

#68509 - 03/13/04 07:52 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
During a newscast yesterday, CNN took a moment of time to seperate the seperatists from ETA, and indicated that ETA was a terrorist group, and on the EU/US list of terrorist organizations. That's a giant step in the right direction, but clearly not enough to bring them to a central position when reporting the news. Unbiased reporting is not right whether it comes from CNN or Al Jazeera.

Wolf

#68510 - 03/13/04 09:09 AM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Just this morning I awoke to NPR (National Public Radio) and they described ETA as "the Basque Separist Group". rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68511 - 03/15/04 11:05 PM Re: CNN doesn't call ETA terrorist
Kevin Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
MM, NPR is a bunch of leftists that believe in the Communist version of Utopia(Yeah, worked for the USSR, didn't it?). The ETA is as much a group of terrorists as the IRA is. ....and I'm Irish and my fiancee's mother is FROM Ireland. There are ways to do things....targetting civilians and CHILDREN is not one of them.

Utopia will never exist as long as we have humans among us. <---coming from a human.
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"
-- President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
-- President John F. Kennedy

Democrats, why the change?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments