Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#68342 - 09/23/05 05:52 AM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Jazztel has started offering ADSL2+ up to 20 Mbps + free calls for 29,95 € + 12,95 € (line rental, no fees to pay to Telefónica) + VAT. So far it's only available in Sevilla and in a few other places in Andalucía. They will start in Madrid in October / November.

By the way, we are having problems of speed in the last week. :-( Hopefully they'll fix it soon...

#68343 - 09/23/05 06:51 AM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Thanks for the update, Antonio. Say, are you "locked-in" to the terms (i.e. line speed) of the contract or can you upgrade your account as the available speed increases?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68344 - 09/23/05 06:58 AM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Once the 20 Mbps speed is available in your area, Jazztel will contact you (or you can call them) to upgrade to that offer. First, you will have to sign a contract to change the line rental from Telefónica to Jazztel. Then you'll pay:

29,95 € + VAT (ADSL2+)
12,95 € + VAT (line rental)

TOTAL = 49,76 € / month everything included.

The WIFI router Jazztel is offering right now (Comtrend 536) is "ADSL2+ ready" so you won't have to change that. Total price for the router 56,28 (including delivery and VAT).

You can check which offer is available for your phone number here

#68345 - 10/14/05 02:47 AM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Guiri Grande Offline

Loc: San Antonio
I can only laugh in reading this thread about Spain and the horrible phone service. In this aspect, Spain has progressed very little.

I remember back in 1987, a direct dialed phone call to the U.S. cost 4 times as much as if you dialed from the U.S. to Spain. All of my friends and I would place a collect call to our parents or whomever. The operator would take all our information and they would call us back when it was convenient for them (usually 30+ minutes) to place the call. Our parents already knew not to accept the charges and to hang up and call us back. What a nightmare!!!!!

I can only imagine what you guys are going through trying to get DSL or cable modems. GOOD LUCK!!!!

#68346 - 10/14/05 06:17 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Guiri Grande, we had such high rates in Spain because Telefonica was a monopoly. Now we have some competition and we even have free national calls included with most DSL connections.

Currently, we also have Jazztel and Wanadoo offering 20 Mbps connections plus free national calls. Ya.com , Superbanda and Comunitel will have similar offers soon with the the ADSL2+ technology.

#68347 - 11/05/05 02:55 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
When subscribing to one of these services, do you always have to sign a 12-month agreement or can one pay month-by-month without a long-term contract?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68348 - 11/05/05 03:48 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
With many services signing up is free (wow!) as is the modem. But if you back out within a certain time frame, usually a year, they suddenly recall their charity and land you with the bill. You pay month by month and after the time frame has elapsed, can, I believe, take your custom elsewhere.

#68349 - 11/05/05 04:29 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

You have to sign for at least one year with most of the ISPs. Wanadoo and Jazztel are among the ones that don't have that condition. Note that Wanadoo has the worst reputation in Spain and I wouldn't go for it.

As for the special offers ISPs usually have, if you cancel the contract before 12 months they will probably ask you to return what you got for free (gifts, special discounted rates for the first months...).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments