Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68322 - 12/10/03 03:58 PM Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Madera Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello, I just moved to Madrid two days ago. I´ll be here for eight months.

I "need" cable. What are the steps or companies to deal with? Thanks for your help!

#68323 - 12/16/03 03:00 AM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Spaniard Offline

Loc: Valencia
Mmm...I recommend you an "ADSL" connection. It isn't expensive at all, you don't need to pay a cable installation, and it usually works fine.
I live in Valencia. I have a cable connection but it doesn't work as well as I expected. The ADSL connection seems to work better.

I think in Madrid, as in Valencia, the leading cable company is ONO.

#68324 - 12/16/03 10:30 AM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Ono does not operate in Madrid. Only Auna (Madritel) is allowed to do it. However, they charge you monthly fees for the cable modem. The speed they offer is supposed to be higher (777 kbps). ADSL has speeds of 256 Kbps, 512 Kbps and 2 Mbps.

Note that this is not the real speed. In fact, ISPs only guarantee 10% of the maximum speed.

#68325 - 12/16/03 12:28 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Spaniard Offline

Loc: Valencia
Quote:
Ono does not operate in Madrid.
Sorry, I didn't know. I tought it because I saw ONO advertisements in Madrid...I guess they were related to phone, not to Internet.

How does the Madritel cabl connection work? In Valencia, it's worth getting an ADSL connection more than a cable one.

#68326 - 05/11/05 01:27 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
BOINK!

THIS JUST IN!! Got a kind of SPAM email (which I NEVER read) but this one was intriguing.

It was from and about a new (?) site http://www.TelefonicaInEnglish.com/ so I checked out their website. Decent site all about getting phone lines installed, internet connections, etcetera and ALL IN ENGLISH.

I was especially interested in internet offerings (broadband, that is) so I checked out their page @ http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/adsl.htm which gives the ADSL connection speeds and fees. Wow. It's all SO shocking SLOW and all SO shockingly expensive for what you get.

So I went to my the website of my current CABLE internet provider, RoadRunner, here in the USA and compared their services and prices. Wow. What a difference. Their page @ http://www.rr.com/rdrun/ states the following:
Quote:
Monthly Service
The price of the Road Runner Online Service may vary from market to market. On average, a monthly subscription is $44.95 per month and includes a cable modem. This fee is in addition to the regular monthly cable subscription. The monthly fee includes ALWAYS ON access to the online service and the Internet.
... our standard service has increased from 3.0 Mbps to 5.0 Mbps.
Then I went back to the TelefonicaInEnglish.com site and they offer the following:

BASIC
- 512 Kbps connection
- 10 x faster than dial-up*
- Unlimited access 24/7
No monthly usage
- SPECIAL OFFER
Free modem
39,07€ a month

CLASS
- 1mb connection
- 20 x faster than dial-up
- Unlimited access 24/7
No monthly usage
- Wireless Router
74,98€ a month

ADVANCED
- 2mb connection
- 40 x faster than dial-up
- Unlimited access 24/7
No monthly usage
- Wireless Router
120,00€ a month eek

I won't go any further than this although there is a faster, more expensive additional option.

Summary: The ADVANCED 2mb connection in Spain costs you about $160 USD per month when a 5mb cable connection in the USA costs about $50 per month.

What a sorry state of affairs. rolleyes mad WIRE THAT CITY WITH CABLE/FIBER OPTIC WIRE ALREADY! But why bother doing that when they can charge (and apparently GET) people those high prices and low connection speeds. Ugh!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68327 - 05/11/05 02:10 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I live it here every day MM. I have the Telefonica Basic Package(512 Kbs). But it works very well. I have only had 2 or 3 episodes of temporary outage in 13 months.

#68328 - 05/11/05 02:37 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Telefonica is not the best choice nowadays in Internet access.

There are great offers in Wanadoo : 2 Mbps Internet access plus all your calls between spanish phone numbers for 36 €.

Or via cable-modem, for 36 € you get 3 Mbps with Ono .

For Spain it is like science fiction rolleyes

Fernando

#68329 - 05/11/05 03:02 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
But Fernando, there's almost no cable modem access in the city of Madrid - UNLESS something has changed in the recent past. Seems the last time I checked the only place was at the Exposition Center (Parque Ferial) outside of the city.

And how can Wannado charge 36 Euros for 2Mb connectivity (ADSL, I suppose) PLUS your in-Spain calls confused when Telefonica is charging more than double that price???

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68330 - 05/11/05 04:02 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You are right in both things:

1) There is only one cable operator in each region. In Madrid we have Auna Cable , which has an offer of 1 Mbps Internet access for 45 € per month. It is not a good company because its strategy is to grown to be bought by Ono. They don't care to have good offers and being competitive.

Note that cable deploy in Spain (and in general in Europe) has happened in the last 10 years, while in the USA cable operator have been on-air for decades (that's due to political decissions, in Europe was easier to deploy telephone and TV due to distance and population density).

2) Telefonica has been the unique telecommunications operator for 80 years, having a virtual monopoly in telephony till 1993. When the market was liberalized due to european directives and political decissions, Telefonica instantly became the dominant operator.

To protect free competence, our telecommunications laws state that dominant operator have intervened prices. Telefonica would want to offer very low prices to put a high entry barrier to its competence, but Telefonica's prices are regulated, and can only be lowered by the regulatory institution.

You can make yourself an idea: Telefonica still have a 85% of the market share in fixed telephony, a 48% in mobile telephony and a 40% in the Internet access market.

Fernando

#68331 - 05/11/05 04:50 PM Re: Madrid: getting DSl or Cable?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Jazztel is offering 4 Mbps plus free calls for 32,95 €. In fact, that's the ADSL line I'm going to hire. I'll tell you how it is when I have it available but I have a friend in Barcelona that says it's very good.

Note that this offer only applies to those areas where Jazztel has coverage (the same applies to Wanadoo).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1627 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments