MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68091 - 04/26/03 04:31 PM La Musica de Espana
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
This is quite interesting that Spain has only submitted Flamenco performors to such a competition when it has such an abundance of wonderful music. Not just flamenco, but the music of Galicia, the jota from Aragon, the sardana from Cataluyna. Has everyone forgotten a music tradition in Spain that goes back 500 years and still is one of the best examples of Spanish folk music? I am speaking about the Tunas. Those wonderful university musicians that play the streets and festivals in Spain, not to mention in other countries. Dressed in their Medieval costumes they envoke the romance of Spain and keep up a tradition that few countries still enjoy. If you would like to learn more about the Tuna or hear some of their music, go to La Tuna Website .

Another wonderful example of Spanish music is the Zarzuela, Zarzuela Website . Spain has a tradition of exceptional musical and artisic talent second to none. These are just a few: Placido Domingo, Jose Carreras, Arturo Klaus, Monserrat Caballe, Victoria De Los Angeles, Alicia De La Rocha, Pablo Casals, Andres Segovia. I could go on and on but the point is that Spain has a rich heritage of music and musicians.

I myself am a musician and being a new member of this board I noticed a lack of information concerning this part of Spain.

If you would like to hear an excellent CD on Galician folk music, I strongly recommend the Chieftans' Santiago CD. It's fantastic!

Being of Mexican/Spanish ancestry I have a passion for things Spanish. Saludos!

#68092 - 04/28/03 02:30 AM Re: La Musica de Espana
Miguelito Offline

You have forgot to mention probably the most famous Manuel de Falla, I love specially El amor brujo and La vida breve.
Another important musician has been Joaquin Rodrigo, his concierto de Aranjuez is one of the most beautiful and known musics for classsic guitar.
There are a lot more, specially in s.XIX, & XX.

#68093 - 04/28/03 10:25 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Yes, Miguelito I thoroughly agree with you. That is why I mentioned but a few artists. I had the great pleasure of meeting Maestro Placido Domingo here in Los Angeles a few years ago. He was conducting a performance of La Boheme and afterwards met at the restaurant lounge of the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. He was waiting for a group of friends and his table happen to be next to ours. I went up and shook his hand and chatted a bit as he waited for his group. He was very gracious as he invited my wife and I to sit with him for a drink. I had so many things to ask but kept it to the evening's performance. It was truely one of my best experiences ever!

#68094 - 04/29/03 05:42 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...and Isaac Albéniz, too. I have a fantastic recording of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and Fantasía para un gentilhombre (for Segovia) along with the Suite Español by Albéniz. These are just wonderful to listen to, and specifically with the Adagio from "Aranjuez", bring me back to many a wonderful evening in the Spanish setting sun.

CaliBasco [Who has to leave now to buy plane tickets immediately!]

#68095 - 04/29/03 07:08 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
You people are making me cry!
frown

#68096 - 05/03/03 05:33 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
This morning, near Plaza de Oriente, I have heard "El romance anonimo" by a guitarist in the street (¡¡ marvelous ¡¡.
Do you Know??.
ABP

#68097 - 06/06/03 04:05 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Oh My Goodness!!! How could I have forgotten? :o . Of course I know this piece. My Uncle Manny (he's deceased) was a musician and guitarist. He used to play it all the time. I never asked him the name of it but it was one of his favorite works to play for friends. He used to teach music at the College of the Desert here in Palm Desert, California. He was a wonderful guitarist.

This piece is very intriguing to guitarists as there is no known composer for it, hence the name I suppose, "EL Romance Anonimo". There are many theories regarding who wrote it, from Glinka to El Murciano. I did some research in a website that I belong to for classic guitarists and there is a message board there with four pages of posts dedicated to this beautiful composition! Click on the link to hear it. You may open with Windows Media Player.

El Romance Anonimo

#68098 - 06/13/03 11:51 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

For those graduating this month whether here in the US or in España, this is dedicated to you...

Fonseca

#68099 - 06/14/03 04:04 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
During June in Teatro de la Zarzuela of Madrid you can see one of the most nice spanish zarzuelas :"La rosa del azafran".

ABP

#68100 - 06/27/03 10:13 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
Segundo Sombra Offline

Loc: Houston
I was there in May, and staying right around the corner from the theatre-hoping against hope that they would have some kind of pre-season performnace of "La rosa del azafran" before we left. No such luck though. A few years ago we saw the Corte de Faraon, after I saw it spoofed in the 80's movie, "Dragon Rapide"-very entertaining, I still chuckle at some of the plays on words.

I like the way they try to spruce up the old scripts with a bit of present day innuendo. Wish I was there!

#68101 - 07/27/03 10:52 PM Re: La Musica de Espana
Segundo Sombra Offline

Loc: Houston
Any thoughts about Chano Dominguez? Lately he has been getting quite a bit of airtime here on the Houston jazz stations. Sounds like Chick Corea updated for the afro-cuban crowd. I find it electrifying. Can't wait to see him do a world tour and maybe pass through here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments