Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67994 - 03/07/03 01:56 PM Celestina anyone?
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Hey everyone-

I would like to open a discussion about la Celestina (the tragicomedy)- I don´t know how many of ya´ll have read it but even if you´re not crazy about it it´s a fairly intriguing work. One issue I find especially interesting is the disputed authenticity of Celestina´s magical powers (the old debate over whether or not Celestina really puts a spell on Melibea). I would love to hear what any of ya´ll who have read it think!

em

#67995 - 03/07/03 03:12 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Well, we just started reading it in my literature class here at La Universidad de Granada last week. I have to say thus far its kinda different!! We arent too far into it, but I have for sure figured out (haha along with the 20 other spaniards in my class I think), that there are some interesting characters in this story! Id love to follow a discussion about it here on this board, maybe it will help me participate more in class cuz sometimes it gets a little intimidating being in such a small class and being the only american rolleyes . When the spaniards arent sure of whats going on, I figure theres little hope for me rolleyes
Kelly

#67996 - 03/07/03 10:19 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Ladies are we speaking of Fernando Rojas, La Celestina,tragi-comedia de Calisto y Malibea right? If so, I'd like to join you. It's a sad love story.

#67997 - 03/08/03 02:20 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Booklady-

It´s the only one I know of wink

#67998 - 03/08/03 02:36 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Emilyka,
While it may sound silly, the reason I verified this is that there is an English version, and a later Spanish version, La hija de La Celestina! Wanted to make sure we were discussing the Rojas version.

#67999 - 03/09/03 06:41 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
I've just finished reading 'The Spain of Fernando de Rojas - The Intellectual and Social Landscape of La Celestina' by Stephen Gilman who was a student of Americo Castro. A fabulous book!

#68000 - 03/10/03 08:30 AM Re: Celestina anyone?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Emily,
I think the title of this thread is funny; upon reading it, I thought, hey! someone needs some kind of "matchmaking service"!...And of course I was ready to volunteer rolleyes ....

#68001 - 03/10/03 12:04 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
plumepoppy Offline

Oh Pim, you are a sweetheart ... it's -30C in my part of Canada with so much snow falling down on us that we don't know what to do with it anymore. And the chickadees in the garden have started singing their courting call. Maybe they know something I don't know about Spring, or maybe they're just desperate. Maybe, they're simply desperately seeking la Celestina!

#68002 - 03/10/03 08:45 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I too thought that this was a matchmaking service. Oh well, I'll just add my one piece of advise for those seeking a little romance.I'll have to keep this short, as my falcon has flown into my neighbors garden and I need to recover him.

I have heard that it is preferable to stay away from the "alcahuetas" selling lace. As a matter of fact, I have always heard that the ones who wear lace are much more accommodating than those who sell it.

Saludos

#68003 - 03/10/03 09:59 PM Re: Celestina anyone?
plumepoppy Offline

hmmmm ... all these birds on the lookout for La Celestina. This matchmaking service is for the birds. Must be a continental trend. Yes, wearing lace can be quite alluring. Okay, okay,I must remain on topic, so I'm going back to my reading of La Celestina. Celestial Plume.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments