Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67830 - 12/07/02 05:34 PM Guide book recommendations?
del sol Offline

Can someone recommend a guide book for Madrid and surrounding area?

Things I am looking for:
- good maps of Madrid, transit system, and surrounding towns such as Toledo and Segovia
- up-to-date information with historical background on attractions
- small & compact

Things that are not as important for me:
- restaurant guide
- accomodations
- info on other parts of Spain

Thanks for any suggestions!

#67831 - 12/07/02 06:35 PM Re: Guide book recommendations?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I love the following map:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312155689/

But Amazon says it is out of print. I love my copy, though, and it would be the first thing I would pack to take to Madrid. Maybe there are some floating around at local bookstores?

#67832 - 12/07/02 09:03 PM Re: Guide book recommendations?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello del Sol,
I highly recommend Eyewitness Travel Guide: Madrid if you are looking for a general, informative and handy guide, this would be my first recommendation. It has the famous Eyewitness three-dimensional drawings, floor plans, and detailed area maps. It even includes the Metro map. In addition to the historical information, it has dazzling photographs, sometimes they can help you choose what to, or not see.

For Metro maps: You can go to Amazon.com and view
Quote:
City Transit Map: Madrid By The Metro
A Guide to Getting Around

TG412878 Folded, self-cover, paper map Michael Brein, Inc. (USA) 2-sided 18x26 1999 {3} - USUALLY SHIPS IN 5-15 BUSINESS DAYS (1-3 Weeks)

Michael Brein's Transit Map Guides combine a map of the local underground transit system with concise directions on using the system to reach popular attractions, including notes on where to walk once you emerge from the station. These lightweight folding paper mapguides are convenient for pocket or purse, and make a nice complement to your city street map.

Our Price $5.00

You'll need it if you want to use the Metro!

If you cannot find a copy of the Let's Go map of Madrid that Taravb recommnended try Streetwise Madrid by Michael Brown You can also purchase this guide from Amazon. What I like about it is that it is small enough to be inconspicuous yet large enough to find the street you're looking for. The best feature is that it is laminated and quite handy.

Saludos,

#67833 - 12/07/02 09:59 PM Re: Guide book recommendations?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I like the Streetwise Madrid map Booklady mentions as well...I love maps and tend to collect far more of them than I would ever need. I even have a small silk handkerchief map of Madrid that I keep in my jacket pocket!

Another good source of small, easily portable maps and guides is the tourist information office located in nearly every town or city. These small guides (with fold-out maps in the back, at least in the versions handed out last year) are free and have quick descriptions of major attractions.

#67834 - 12/08/02 10:10 AM Re: Guide book recommendations?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
del sol writes:
Quote:
Can someone recommend a guide book for Madrid and surrounding area?

Things I am looking for:
- good maps of Madrid, transit system, and surrounding towns such as Toledo and Segovia
- up-to-date information with historical background on attractions
- small & compact
I can tell you what you need but I can't tell you where to find one: Consorcio Regional de Transportes de Madrid publishes a Plano de los Transportes de Madrid that has maps of MetroMadrid, Cercanias and all City and Regional bus routes. The one I have contains the Ayuntamiento de Madrid Logo and it was apparently printed by el Pais, Madrid. The one I have was given to me by a relative. It is about 12.5 cm by 25 cm (folded).
Guidebook: I don't think you can do much better than Baedecker's Madrid. It includes everything else you ask for as well as a pretty good map of the city. It's about 10 cm by 15 cm and 170-some pages (including some excellent pictures) and a fold out map.
P.D.
It looks like you may be out of luck with the Plano de Transportes I mentioned earlier: Antonio tells me there hasn't been one of those published for several years.

#67835 - 12/08/02 05:27 PM Re: Guide book recommendations?
del sol Offline

I've used a Let's Go City Map Guide and found it excellent, I'll have to look around and see if I can manage to find the Madrid one. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments