Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67800 - 11/20/02 05:58 PM Spanish Jazz
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hello people. I'm looking to get hold of some Spanish jazz CDs and wondering if anyone can recommend anything. I'm thinking something sung in Spanish, sort of Bossanova, latin, Astrud Gilberto-ish (if anyone's ever heard of her!). Cool light stuff would be nice. BTW, just saw Natalie Cole on TV singing a track from her new album. Great stuff!!

#67801 - 11/20/02 07:06 PM Re: Spanish Jazz
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, Bricamb--
I love Astrud Gilberto...just wanted to say that SOMEONE here has heard of her (and Getz, and Jobim, etc....)! That just made me think of seeing Charlie Byrd here a few years ago--Minneapolis has a great jazz following!

Good luck finding Spanish jazz--I would be interested to know what you end up enjoying!
Tara

#67802 - 11/20/02 09:25 PM Re: Spanish Jazz
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but Miles Davis has a CD called Sketches of Spain. It is considered the first fusion of Jazz and Spanish influences. I picked it up a couple weeks ago and have really enjoyed it.

#67803 - 11/21/02 08:08 AM Re: Spanish Jazz
Miguelito Offline

I'm not a jazz expert, but I think that maybe you should listen to Chano Domínguez. He's a pianist that has made some kind of fussion with flamenco, although it's more jazz like. I don't know if it's only instrumental or also sang.
Another musician you probably know is Paco de Lucía, a guitar player, but you have to listen first, he has recorded a lot, and some are flamenco record, although others are kind of jazz-fussion, he has played with Aldy Meola, John Mcglaughin, and I think Chick Corea. I specially like his record Live in America.
Another famous Spanish jazz musician was Tete Montoliu
Out from Spain there are a lot of musicians, if you like latin jazz you must see the film Calle 54, it's a documentary where you can see the main latin jazz musicians playing live... Bebo y Chucho Valdés, Cachao, Tito Puente....
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0260775

#67804 - 11/21/02 09:49 AM Re: Spanish Jazz
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I have a few albums by Felipe Campuzano that I can really recommend.

#67805 - 11/21/02 04:24 PM Re: Spanish Jazz
AmbassadorTex Offline

Loc: USA
Most of the "Latin Jazz" out there is based on Cuban or central american derived rhythms and harmony. Most of the dances that these rhythms come from are what used to be called "Afro-Cuban". Some of the Mexican influenced stuff may have roots in Spanish dances, but it has its own identity now.

CALLE 54 is one of the best music movies out - period - but it is decidely not Spanish Jazz. It IS an excellent overview of what has come to be called Latin Jazz. (Starting back with Dizzy Gillespie and Machito and Charlie Parker and Chano Pozo etc...)
The performances in the film that blow you away are Eliane Elias (very sensual), Chucho Valdes (overwhelming), and Michel Camilo (absolutely electrifying and full of joy). laugh

"Sketches of Spain" finds Miles Davis using the basic scales and sounds that define Spanish music - and he plays over Gil Evans' arrangements OF traditional Spanish tunes. So it is much more Spanish flavored than other Latin Jazz.

I do a jazz radio show (as my obnoxious signature proclaims) so I'll check at the studio this Sunday night to see what else I can find that is particularly Spanish.

>> LISTEN at www.wshafm.org Spread the word! <<

#67806 - 11/21/02 08:34 PM Re: Spanish Jazz
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
One of the most beautiful Spanish cd's I've ever heard is by M Dolores Pradera "As de Corazones". We listened to it while driving the northern Spanish countryside this summer. She has an amazing sultry voice. Get it and you'll never tire of it.

#67807 - 11/24/02 06:34 AM Re: Spanish Jazz
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Thanks for all your suggestions and will see what I can pick up during my next visit to Spain!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2750 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments