Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#67714 - 10/27/02 05:03 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
keep posting it Jo! It cracks me up everytime I see it!! And heck, we all need a good laugh every now and then... laugh

#67715 - 10/28/02 11:26 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Postable a fourth or fifth time too! laugh

#67716 - 10/28/02 09:49 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
There were also 2 mentions about it in the latest Entertainment Weekly (November 1, with Avril Lavigne on the cover):
page 14: (from Hot Sheet): #15: Las Ketchup: The Spanish group's novelty song "The Ketchup Song (Hey Hah)" could be the next "Macarena." And the band could be the next what's-their-name.
page 21: A nice excerpt with a picture of the 3 of them; brief write-up compares it to Macarena and is very complementary toward it (keep in mind, this is a very pop culture-focused magazine).
Also, on Univision 's news tonight there was an a segment about the Honduras-Satanic-message thing, but also another theory that they advocate smoking marijuana, as proven if you play it backwards. One host believes it's a marketing ploy hatched by the group's management to get additional publicity, and he thinks it's ingenious.
And finally, the Mexican City Operacion Triunfo kids did a version of this on one of their recent segments: (you need Real One Player):
C LICK HERE!!

#67717 - 10/30/02 07:48 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Has anyone heard "the Ketchup song"(asereje...but in ENGLISH frown !) It is sooooo horrible! The parts of the song that were understandable and NOT in gibberish were translated into english ( mad ) and all they left of the original song is the "asereje ja etc. part!

#67718 - 10/30/02 09:57 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I also heard the english version the other day rolleyes . You are correct, the song really loses something in the translation...Not to mention, I had to really concentrate to understand the english version, the lyrics of the original spanish version are much easier to understand eek !

#67719 - 11/01/02 06:35 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
marisa4444 Offline

it IS harder to understand the english version!!! Well...that makes the original even better wink !

#67720 - 11/12/02 08:59 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
Belén Offline

HOLA
I have been in Spain THis summer, and I love "ASEREJE".
BUT!!!Yesterday I heard this song has been sang in CHINESE!!!(In Taiwan)
The singer are a group of young boys, and I think it's their debut song.
OH~~MY~~GOD~~~"ASEREJE" IN MANDARIN~~~~~~
It's horrible......

#67721 - 11/12/02 04:45 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
marisa4444 Offline

Mandarin?!?!?!?! wow! I knew Asereje was popular but that seems rediculous...wouldn't it be hard to translate spanish and gibberish into Mandarin? confused

#67722 - 11/29/02 12:50 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Booklady on 11-29-2002 12:16 PM]
------------------------------

Great New York Times article about Las Ketchup!
New York Times 11/29/02 International Edition!

MADRID, Nov. 28 &#8212; It began almost as a joke, a garbled tribute to one of rap's earliest hits. But "Asereje," the single recorded by Las Ketchup, has become a global phenomenon, selling four million copies, topping the charts in 17 countries and sneaking into the United States in a Spanglish version known as "The Ketchup Song," just as the Christmas party season gets under way.

"We weren't expecting to be a success even in Spain," Lola Muñoz, one of three sisters who make up Las Ketchup, said in a phone interview.

"We went into the recording studio almost as a joke," she said. "But the single began to get radio play and everyone liked it, so we finished the album very quickly and set out to do a lot of promotion in Spain."

It worked. The song is so infectious and, in Spain, so ubiquitous, that here even toddlers recognize the opening beats and start to dance, their less than slick moves still faithful to Las Ketchup's arm-waving, hand-crossing, knee-knocking style.

Comparisons with "La Macarena," the last Spanish dance-along song to conquer the world, are inevitable, but many here say they find "The Ketchup Song" significantly less annoying.

The Muñoz sisters &#8212; Pilar, Lucía and Lola &#8212; called themselves Las Ketchup as a tribute to their father, a flamenco guitarist known as El Tomate, or Tomato, from the southern city of Córdoba, famous for its gorgeous Moorish mosque and long history of flamenco music and dance.

The three had no particular pop ambitions. Pilar, the eldest, is an actress. Lucía, the youngest, was singing in a flamenco fusion group while Lola was completing a university degree in industrial relations &#8212; which helped somewhat when cutting a record deal.

But Manuel (Queco) Ruiz, a producer and composer, heard about the trio and wrote "Asereje" for them. "He liked the name, more than anything," says Rafael Madroñal of Columbia Records, which signed the group in Spain.

The original Spanish lyrics tell the story of Diego, a "Rastafarian Afro-Gypsy" who wears "a navy blue suit and goes after contraband," and his visit to a disco where the DJ plays Diego's favorite song.

That turns out to be "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang, but Diego's attempt to sing along to the chorus &#8212; along the lines of "I said a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie to the hip hip hop, you don't stop" &#8212; comes out as: "Asereje, ja deje, dejebe tu dejebe deseri iowa a mavy an de bugui an de guidibidi," which is even more nonsensical in Spanish than the original is in English.

That has not stopped millions from happily singing along, many of them tourists who spent their summer vacations dancing in Spain and then took the record back home.

The song has been parodied in Germany, where Chancellor Gerhard Schröder is said to be unamused by "Der Steuersong" ("The Tax Song"), a version of "Asereje" that castigates him for breaking his election promise and raising taxes.

The Ketchup sisters, who will be touring the United States in January, have barely found time to enjoy their newfound celebrity. "This is an opportunity, and we have to make the most of it," Ms. Muñoz said. "There will be time for having fun later."

--------------------
Booklady

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments