Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67661 - 10/07/02 02:58 PM A couple of interesting books: El Rastro/Serna/Saura and Imagenes del Madrid Antiguo
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
For those interested in Spanish literature, photography and cinema (not to mention Madrid's famous Rastro), a new edition of Ramon Gomez de la Serna's classic novel _El Rastro_, with photographs by celebrated movie director Carlos Saura has recently been published, (more info) .

I picked it up when I was in Spain a couple of weeks ago and it is a great volume. Serna's writing is really complimented by Saura's masterful photography. He apparently took these photos at the Rastro in 1961, and they are only now being all published. I only knew Saura as a film director and am glad to see this other facet of his work. The book is visually very well-done, with excellent paper and the photographs are very well-reproduced. Definitely one of the treasures I brough home from this trip.

I also picked up the first volume of the the three part _Imagenes del Madrid antiguo_ (could not find any on-line info), which covers photographs of Madrid from the 1850s through 1939. I already owned the third volume (late 40s to the 60s) , and had been a little disappointed with both the quality of most of the photographs and the presentation (kinda boring actually). However, the first volume is much, much better, as it includes comments, essays and even poetry related to the photographs from historians, artists and assorted other figures (including Aznar and Gil). Much more interesting pictures (including churches and other buildings since lost) and a nice glimpse into the Madrid of the 19th and early 20th century, including images from the civil war.

#67662 - 10/07/02 10:16 PM Re: A couple of interesting books: El Rastro/Serna/Saura and Imagenes del Madrid Antiguo
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Cooter,
Thank you for sharing! What a great acquisition. I have been trying for some time to get the the 1961 edition, but no luck. I read in the Gómez de la Serna web site that there is a new 2002 edition, that must be the one you purchased, right? Have you run into any works of Jardiel Poncela by any chance?

#67663 - 10/08/02 10:39 AM Re: A couple of interesting books: El Rastro/Serna/Saura and Imagenes del Madrid Antiguo
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Booklady:

I have not been on the lookout for Jardiel Poncela (don't know him very well), but a quick search on abebooks.com and alibris.com revealed several. I know it's not the same as rummaging around the Cuesta de Moyano....

BTW, both El Pais and El Mundo are currently offering a collection of "great literature" with their Friday and Saturday papers (3 Euros each book; decent quality hardcovers) and, if you buy both Friday and Saturday's book, Sunday's is free.

El Pais' collection is better than El Mundo's. Not all of it is hispanophone, of course, about half are translations.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1623 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments