Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67626 - 10/04/02 04:53 PM New Books About Spain
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
It must be the influence of MadrdidMan, I noticed on my new Advance copy from Ingram, one of the biggest book ordering houses for college and public libraries, that there were seven new titles for the month of October! I thought this might be of interest to some members of this Board.

1. Spain: A Traveler's Literary Companionedited by Peter Bush and Lisa Dillman published by Whereabouts Press (ISBN 188351312X) $13.95 ; paperback pub date February 2003.
Quote:
Explore Spain's rich literary landscape with sone of the country's best contemporary writers. Arranged geographically, these 18 stories transport the reader through Spain's many enchanting regions: Experience the diversity of Juan Goytsisolo's Almeria, join Berardo Atxaga in a Basque village, travel to the fjords of Galicia with Manuel Rivas, and revisit Julio Llamazares' Leon--a village now under the waters of a reservoir.
2. Lodging in Spain's Monasteries by Eileen Barish, published by Anacapa press (ISBN 18844517X), $22.95, pub. date June 2002.
Quote:
The only guide to Spanish monastery lodging for American tourists. These historic monasteries , beautiful centuries-old castles, villas and abbeys are immaculately renovated, welcome visitors of all faiths, peaceful and safe, and very inexpensive.
3. Tastes of the Pyrenees: Classic and Modern by Marina Chang, published by Hippocrene Books, (ISBN 0781809495), $24.95, pub. date October 2002.
Quote:
A culinary exploration of the foods and wines of the Pyrenees region, this book includes 86 recipes from the Pyreene Lowlands, which is known today as Catalonia in both Spain and France ( Roussillon); Languedoc; Andorra; the Midi Pyrenees; Acquitaine; the Basque country in both France and Spain, Asturias; Navarra; and Aragon.
4. Williams-Sonoma Savoring Spain & Portugal Published by Oxmoor House (ISBN 0848725867), $39.95, hardcover, Pub. date, June 2002.

Quote:
Explore the foods of the Iberian table, from the paellas of Valencia to the salt cod fritters of Oporto to the tables of Seville. Part cookbook, part travelogue, this book celebrates the regional character and respect for tradition that prevail in these kitchens. 130 recipes.
5. New Tapas: culinary Travels with Spain's Top Chefs by Fiona Dunlop and Jan Baldwin. Published by Laurel Glen Publishing, (ISBN 1571458611) $24.95, hardback, pub. date November 2002.

Quote:
Travel writer Fiona Dunlop visits Spain's most creative young chefs in a tour of the distinct regions of the country, presenting simple dishes that represent the most tempting new food being served in Spain's top tapa bars and restaurants. 150 color fotos.
6. The Pilgrimage to Santiago by Edwin Mullins. Published by Interlink Publishing Group (ISBN 1566563712) $ 15.00, paperback, pub. date September 2000.
Quote:
First published in 1974 and now reissued with a new preface, this classic account of a strring journey provides an amalgam of history, geography, religion, and archeology.
7. A Romantic In Spain by Theophile Gautier. Published by Interlink Publishing Group ( ISBN 1566563925) $ 15.00, paperback, pub. date May 2001.

Quote:
In 1840, enfant terrible Theophile Gautier set off by coach to Spain, hired by a magazine to send back travelogue chapters. the end result was this vivid book, originally published in 1845.

#67627 - 10/07/02 02:38 PM Re: New Books About Spain
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
thanks for taking the time to post this BookLady. The only one I know personally is Mullins'. It's good as an introduction, but I was a little disappointed by the writing style, which struck me as not being equal to the subject matter.

#67628 - 10/08/02 11:23 AM Re: New Books About Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Cooter - have to agree with your comments on that one! I am a fast reader - and, even though the subject is of HUGE interest to me - I've been plowing through the book forever!
Booklady - much gracias for the list! Now watch sales go up for each one!

#67629 - 10/08/02 01:27 PM Re: New Books About Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks so much Booklady. I also adore books on Spain...and I will definiely look for them. Gracias.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1699 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments