Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#67529 - 08/22/02 02:09 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Thanks Fernando!! laugh

Yes, I underdstand their are countless expressions in all language that can´t be translated easily. I am a frim believer that well done translation is an art. I think we have all seen less than standard translations, that at times provoke laughs and occaionally tears.

For example how does one translate the lyrics of Emenim (sp? I not a fan, sorry)? I have had several Spaniards ask me for help understanding American rap music, and even when I understand the lyrics I struggle to translate them into Spanish, due to the slang, vulgarities, and cultural references. I have to ask myself, why would a Spaniard take an interest in music that is a giant riddle? rolleyes

As for my Spanish, as with all pursuits everyday I realize how much there is to be learned. Somedays, I fell like I have got a real grasp of the language. Otherdays, I encounter a travler from Zafra or Granada and I wonder if I will ever fully understand every eldery Andaluz from the smallest of pueblos. confused

#67530 - 08/22/02 04:37 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Ferndano y Shawn,

Don't you think that the closest Spanish word to wannabe is presumido? as in "El presume ser un cantante" "he's a singer wannabe."
But of course presumir is not a slang word like wannabe.

Sometimes it is impossible to make a true translation between two languages, the best you can do is display the candor in the meaning, don't you think?

#67531 - 08/22/02 08:12 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Shawn, I have somtimes difficulties to understand some spaniards wink There are so many different accents, local words and expressions, influences by other spanish languages that it is almost impossible to be fluent and have the ear trained for all of them.

Booklade, if I understand the meaning of wannabe well, I think that presumido is not really a good translation. But you have a point with the verb presumir in the sentence "Presume de ser un cantante" that is more closed to the idea I think.

What a dominion of spanish you two have my god...

Fernando

#67532 - 08/23/02 10:40 AM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I dunno, I think Chenoa is pretty cute...

#67533 - 08/23/02 11:38 AM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Seemingly, presumido is more of an arrogant person. I totally understand the issue about "translating" rap music for the non-English speaking masses. It would almost be easier to teach everyone English than to translate some of the basura that passes in the name of "music".

As for Eminem, I'm not sure that it's really important that an international audience as large as possible gets the full meaning of his music. We could probably add a number of other "artists" [I use the word loosely] to that list.

By the same token, there are a number of Spanish-speaking acts that at time make me wish I didn't speak Spanish...thus not subjecting me to their mindless warblings.

#67534 - 08/24/02 05:45 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Translating Eminem....yeah I have had experience with this one rolleyes . When I studied abroad, my host brother had one of Eminem's cds. One day I returned home from class and my host mom asked if I knew of such an artist, of course I said yes, and she then proceeded to ask what his lyrics meant (the 3 kids were learning English in school, but the other spoke none) eek Yikes!
At first I started to try to explain some of them, but from the looks on their faces, I decided that I had just better leave it at saying that I did not support his work, and that many of the songs contained some not so great messages.
Translation is definitely an "art" smile

#67535 - 08/27/02 12:31 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Miguelito Offline

Going back to the translations I think the perfect word for wannabe would be 'aspirante', someone who wants to be or get something.
As for the 'presumir' it has two different meanings, and I think the sustantive for this one would be 'presunto' instead of 'presumido'.

presumir. (Del lat. praesum&#277;re).
1. tr. Sospechar, juzgar o conjeturar algo por tener indicios o señales para ello.
2. intr. Dicho de una persona: Vanagloriarse, tener alto concepto de sí misma.
3. intr. Dicho de una persona: Cuidar mucho su arreglo para parecer atractiva.

#67536 - 08/27/02 04:57 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Miguelito,
Yes, I agree "apirante" would be better particularly if you use wannabe in a positive sense. But if you use wannabe in a perjorative sense then "el presume ser" could be used as you have stated in your definition of presumido as a vainglorious person. laugh

We're getting closer, but no cigar, yet! rolleyes The problem is in the slang term itself. Wannabe stands for want to be, "I wannabe a star" which in this sense aspira, or quisiera (ese) ser would also be a meaningful translation. But wannabe has historically a pejoritative allusion, as in "he's just a wannabe" as though the person has said he tried but didn't. I love language. Fascinanting!

I have longed admired the United Nations translators because it is so difficult to translate from one living language to another for precisely the same reasons: connotations of expressions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2651 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments