MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67519 - 08/06/02 11:48 AM Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Cr@zy4u? Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Hollanda
Hey amigos,

What can you tell about musica latina from Spain.
Since Operacion Triunfo,the hispanic record company's aren't affraid to invest in people such as David Bisbal, David Bustamante, Chenoa, Rosa...ect. ect. ect.
Is it because of their popularity or is it because of the fact that they can sing as professionals?which they are now.

I'll have to admit that some of them can sing really good, but is it also a way of making money for the big guys?

#67520 - 08/20/02 07:40 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
"the silence speaks volumes......"

#67521 - 08/20/02 10:31 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is an interesting phenomenon (is it spell correctly?). My opinion is that, althought the Operación Triunfo artists are not bad, I prefer to spend my money on a well recognized and profesional singer.

The marketing around them is incredible, and sometimes it seems that what is important is just the money the disco company does, and not how good the artist is.

Fernando

#67522 - 08/20/02 11:53 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Fernando,
Can you explain what Operación Triunfo is all about? I have read several threads that mention this phenomenon, but I am not really sure what it is.
Gracias smile

#67523 - 08/21/02 07:00 AM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Excuses Booklady, I should have explained it wink

Operación Triunfo was (it's over) a very popular TV programm of the public spanish channel TVE (Televisión Española) which consisted of an academy where a group of selected wannabe artists prepared themselves and learnt the different things necessary to became singers.

The winner of this programm (Rosa López) was offered the oportunity to participate in the Eurovision Festival (a contest between singers of all european countries).

Some of the most popular singers nowadays in Spain came from this programm. Some of them (the ones I recall) are:

Rosa
David Bisbal
David Bustamante
Naim Thomas
Manu Tenorio
Fórmula Abierta (a group of four)
Natalia
Chenoa

Personally I can't stand it... :p

Fernando

#67524 - 08/21/02 01:24 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
quime Offline

Loc: panama
Fernando, i remenmber yopu for helping me during my trip to madrid last may.
about Operation triump, it has just finish here in panama. i knew rosa won but i cant help myself to avoid the end opf the show...
i think it became like a soap opera mixed with a reality show that involve the people...
some of us just can be on the side.
that program shows latin countries a new point of view of spanish society... a good one!
VIVA ESPAÑA. laugh
salud
Quime

" hagamos un mejor mundo"

#67525 - 08/21/02 02:05 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hi Quime, how was your trip? smile

I didn't know the program was exported as is, I thought it was just the format... But you are right, the program is not bad (althought I have not seen a full programm) and it is more or less representative of what are the interests of the spanish society, perhaps it does represent us in some way...

Fernando

#67526 - 08/21/02 02:51 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Fernando and others,

The word 'wannabe' is very colloquial, is there a Spanish equivalent. I know this posting has nothing to do with Latin music, but I am quite curious. laugh

After 8 months here I have learned a lot of Spanish, but I continue to realize how much there is to be learned. Learning a language is a lifetime pursuit, of course my love of Spain and her language gives me great reasons for retuning to Spain with great frequency. I can´t wait to get my hands on the recomended linguistic texts.

In order to help me with my Spanish,
I have been studying Portuguese with a private instructor for a couple of months now. I have found it very helpful, but I can´t find a portuguese equivalent to wannabe either.

#67527 - 08/21/02 07:04 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
How did Rosa do on Eurovision?
Where can I hear Rosa sing?

#67528 - 08/21/02 07:05 PM Re: Musica latina Rocks or sucks
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hi Shawn,

you must be a spanish linguistic by now... you spoke spanish well 8 months ago, and you should probably speak it very good by now smile

To learn a language is something terrific (I really love to learn english hehe).

I don't think there is a spanish equivalent to wannabe, it is one of those terms or sentences that express an idea, but which you can't translate literally. I understand what it means, but I can't find an accurate equivalent. It would be something like "quiere ser" but it can't be used in the same context.

Perhaps "aprendiz" is near...

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments