Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67424 - 05/23/02 07:47 AM Summer songs
Miguelito Offline

They're already here.
Apart from all the OT songs, Chayanne has come with Torero and David Civera with Detenedla ya.

Maybe Capitán Canalla and las Ketchup could have some summer hits.
We're expecting for more songs ...

#67425 - 05/23/02 11:00 AM Re: Summer songs
Espe3 Offline

Thanks Miguelito! Keep us posted! Any chance of posting sound clips?

#67426 - 05/23/02 12:09 PM Re: Summer songs
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Go to 40 Principales site to see a list of the current hits and listed to sound clips.

#67427 - 05/23/02 12:39 PM Re: Summer songs
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

ive always used 40 principale for update for whats hot and whats mild and whats pretty cold in the music thats selling in spain wink laugh cool smile

#67428 - 05/23/02 01:18 PM Re: Summer songs
Espe3 Offline

But radio stations don't always play what's REALLY going on! You have to go out to the clubs or what's going on at the beaches! smile And I know this from experience!

#67429 - 05/23/02 04:08 PM Re: Summer songs
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I just logged onto the 40 principales site to see what was on and they were playing Eminem....I can listen to the local radio with better quality for that! (as if I wanted to...)

#67430 - 05/24/02 09:30 AM Re: Summer songs
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I want to give everyone a better picture of this topic: Every summer here in Spain a group of songs is somehow chosen and played EVERYWHERE for the next several months. They're the songs of summer. Then in September, they go off the air and you basically never hear the songs again.

Now get this, the songs normally are either copied from or copied by television commercials (not sure which comes first) during the same time they're on the air (artistic integrity anyone?). My first summer here had songs like "Bomba","Arroba, arroba love punto com." and "Mi limon." You couldn't listen to the radio or watch TV or go to a bar without hearing them. These are not songs from stars like Alejandro Sanz, these are throw-away pop-songs that obviously are made just to make money however possible.

There is definitely some sort of marketing-conspiracy or cabal going on. Case in point: Today I had to run a few errands and I was running late so I caught a couple taxis, both had different radio stations playing, however, the topic of both was Rosa's Eurovision song "Europe's living a celebration." They had live feeds from people on the street singing it, the announcers were talking about it like it was the best song they've ever heard (it's not) and how important it is, etc. TWO different stations.

My point is, there's obviously no separation between commercialization of songs as products and the artistic merits of the songs themselves. These songs aren't being heard because everyone likes them, they've been chosen by some conglomerate and now are the most played. It would be interesting to see how much money Operation Triumfo and other song publishers pay the radio and television stations to get their song to be the big hit for the summer...

In case you say that this is similar to the U.S., I would say that there is a huge difference between big labels paying zillions of dollars for marketing and "pushing" the songs up the charts than a company "buying" the #1 song for the summer, whether the people like it or not.

-Russ

#67431 - 05/24/02 10:53 AM Re: Summer songs
Miguelito Offline

Yes, it's a good picture. Anyway I find some differences between Operación Triunfo and summer songs, while OT has been number one in the list, summer songs usually sound everywhere but nobody buys them. Although they're not good songs, they're usually funny. And there are some songs that are obviously summer songs, and some others that are in between. I enjoy a lot talking about this, I have to go now. The phenomenon of summer songs started long time ago, I can remember it since I was kid. I'll try to tell more things other day.

#67432 - 05/24/02 03:49 PM Re: Summer songs
LostInMadrid Offline

Miguelito!

I think the rest of the Operacion Triumfo stuff was normal POP music - hitting the charts because it was popular.

However, that "Europe's living a celebration" (does that even make sense?) is DEFINITELY a song of summer. You have no idea how many times I heard it today alone. I hate it already. On TV before "El Rival Mas Debil" (Spain's "Weakest Link" that just started...) there were "reports" about the song and Rosa's family singing it (she's got these two HUGE brothers), etc.

Someone's paying BIG bucks to have that song be "popular"...

-Russ

#67433 - 05/24/02 08:55 PM Re: Summer songs
LostInMadrid Offline

Okay. So I'm an idiot... I live in a world within a world here in Spain, always figuring out stuff way too late.

The Eurovision contest is tomorrow night. I've never seen it, but supposedly it's this 30+ year old television program where the chosen representatives from each county in Europe perform live to see who's the best performer. Rosa is representing Spain and her song is the 'celebration' song that I've been so annoyed about. That's why it's been in the news so much today.

It's a horrible song and Rosa is chubby and not particularly good looking or charismatic. She's got a great voice though, but this song does nothing to show it off. I give Spain a 2% chance of winning.

-Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments