Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67338 - 10/15/02 08:38 AM New Spanish Internet rules
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I'm a bit confused about the intent of the new internet laws in Spain. What is the specific intent? Is it being done to remove illicit sites from the net, stop scams, or is it just a ploy to control all content to insure it meets "government apporoval?"

I doubt it's #3 on my list, so don't accuse me of saying the government is using it as a tool to stop dissention. I just want to understand the reason for the rule, and the ruling, better.

Thanks!

Wolf (Wondering if a similar law might not be in the offing in the U.S.)

#67339 - 10/15/02 09:49 AM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Crap! This law is a great error in my point of view. Internet should have some general rules, but this law will enforce normal websites to close because the government sees Internet just as a place were companies hang their publicity.

Registering a .es domain costs over 110 €, while registering a .com costs les than 30 €. And to register a .es domain you must have a registered name or mark of a legal company located in Spain.

I really hope the spanish government change this philosophy because it is going to leave us in the tail wagon of the Information Society.

Fernando

#67340 - 10/18/02 05:40 AM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Miguelito Offline

Wolf, I have a document of 10 pages made by the Association of Computer Engeneers about it (it's in Spanish), I can send you if you want.
I don't know which could be the impact of this law as you could make your own page in Andorra for example without this law, so I think this will go against Spanish companies that give services. I'm going to read the document now, but it looks it has a great impact for pages with no earning money plans... Maybe later I can put more opinions.

#67341 - 10/18/02 06:18 AM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Wolf Offline

Fernando, Miguelito,

Thanks! I'd have a terrible time trying to interpret the document from Spanish to English, so I will have to pass on that part.

Any interpretations you can give me, as to what the intent is, and why, would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if the intent is similar to what's happened in Germany, and France, where the government has severely restricted web content from what I've heard. How restrictive both nations are, I can't say for sure.

Wolf

#67342 - 10/18/02 02:38 PM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
The idea of the new law, among other things, is to adapt the Spanish laws to a European directive. Therefore, all EU countries have to adapt their laws in a way or another. Unfortunately, our government has taken advantage of this to pass a law which restrict many rights.

Another aim of the law is to protect consumers when buying goods online. Now, every website has to clearly identify the owner of the company so that you can contact him. No misterious internet companies!!.

So far the only "good" aspect I've seen is that spam is now explicited banned in Spain. Any commercial communication sent by e-mail must have the approval of the receiver. And if the spammer sends you more than 3 e-mails in a year, then it's considered a severe fault and fines can reach up to 150000 euros. Fortunately, spam coming from Spanish companies is not a big issue yet but I hope this new law stop Spanish spammers from massive e-mailing people.

Miguelito, the new law seems to be applicable Spanish companies using the internet somehow for commercial purposes. Therefore, even if your website is hosted abroad, you still have to comply with the regulations.

As I said before, apart from banning spam and protecting consumers, I don't agree with the law. Perhaps they'll end up changing it like they've done with the laboral laws.

#67343 - 10/19/02 06:56 AM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Wolf Offline

Antonio,

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. Is this going to be a problem for small business operators like you are, with your hostal? You have a great site, which offers a lot of information to would-be travelers. It would be a horrible decision if they made it impossible for you to keep your business on-line without paying a large fee to be there. It wouldn't be fair at all.

I know we're facing some critical choices here in the U.S. because of the spamming, and scam artist sites, but it seems like politicians can't resolve an issue without creating new ones for us here. That's what makes any changes we might see for the future extremely suspicious.

Since I know a few people in Spain who own small businesses, like yourself, I can see a lot of frustration from your perspective. It doesn't seem fair. Why should the person who is offering an honest website of information pay the price for those who would be dishonest? It's not the way things should be done.

As for the EU involvement, I get the impression that France & Germany are dictating what will happen for the whole of EU. That doesn't make sense, unless other nations agree. It would have to be an unanimous resolution in my way of thinking, not just a majority vote.

Wolf

#67344 - 10/19/02 10:41 AM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
None of this is good news for me either. WHAT IF (and it is a plan) I move to Madrid and use a website for my company's "storefront"?! If there are so many restrictions that it becomes prohibitive then I what's the point? I might as well sell my services on Calle Montera wink where the sidewalk is free! (but I understand from an article last week that more restrictions are coming soon for "them" soon to come too)

I wonder if our own LOST MEMBER, "Lost In Madrid", knows something since he worked in the internet buisiness in Madrid with.... hmmm.. don't remember now.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67345 - 10/19/02 11:51 AM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Wolf Offline

MadridMan,

Exactly the point I was thinking about when I read the first article on these changes. Talk about something geared towards taking the small guy out of the picture. What's happened in France & Germany is the epitome of stupid.

Apparently they think places like U-Bid and the ripoffs happening there are okay, but having a small service or business which is valid would be eliminated.

I fear Spain may be headed in that direction as well. If that's the case, your site, if you live in Madrid, would almost certainly fall under the auspice of the government net.

It's amazing how people who don't understand the internet step forward and make legislative decisions that govern it, without taking time to understand what issues should really be dealt with.

Wolf

#67346 - 10/19/02 12:48 PM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Antonio,
Is there a small business association or something similar that might serve as a lobbyist and/or advocate for the many small businesses that this intended ruling could adversly affect?
Again - that might be a question for Lost in Madrid - where are you????? confused

#67347 - 10/19/02 12:55 PM Re: New Spanish Internet rules
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm starting to thing that the government has made this law without proper assistance, and with a completely lack of knowledge of what they were really asking the webmasters of non-comercial sites (it may have certain sense for comercial sites however).

That is grave indeed.

But something has also became clearer: They lack the resources to put this law into application, and they have started to realize that it lacks of any sense to general sites (I base my opinion on what the Science and Technology Minister has said). So I guess they will end up modifying the law, or that they will forsee and ignore it.

In any case, I would really like a more smart and powerful information technologies policy for my country...

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments