Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67293 - 04/25/02 06:24 PM PC to PC calling
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Can anyone recommend the best PC to PC calling service? I've used Netmeeting , and when I call from the USA to Spain thru our computers, or the other way around, sometimes I can not hear him talk(he's in Spain), but he can hear me. I don't know if it is caused by me having a cable connection, and he, a 56K modem, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know....oh, and sometimes, after trying it a few times, we can finally hear each other(after he changes his IP address with disconnecting and connecting again...).
Thanks laugh

#67294 - 04/26/02 11:12 AM Re: PC to PC calling
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
I have used the (free software can be downloaded) MSN messenger between the US and Spain with excellent results in audio/video conferences.
I've found that for good quality communication, your computer should have at least a Pentium III CPU or equivalent. Also slow internet connection speeds like on many telephone systems cause poor two way conversation. Fast internet connections via cable systems are the best!

#67295 - 04/26/02 02:37 PM Re: PC to PC calling
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
One of the most important things when trying an audio/videoconference over the internet is speed.

It also depend on the software you are using. If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft's MSN uses their servers when you are chatting (either writting or talking with voice). That is, you are not directly connected to your friend. Instead, your data is sent to the Microsof server and then forwarded to your friend computer. Apart from that, Microsoft seems to have changed the voice technology they were using in MSN 3.6 and talking with the newer versions 4.5 and above seems to be more difficult.

As for Netmeeting, I haven't used it much but I think it does use direct connection between computers and should work better. It also use standard protocols for encoding/sending audio/video.

If you are having problems with Netmeeting, you can try other solutions and see if they work better. At Softonic.com you'll find several freeware programs. Softonic is one of my favourite sites. It has loads of freeware/shareware programs and most of them are in English (if you don't speak Spanish).

By the way, if you find a good software for audioconference, please, tell us about it. Unfortunately, the problem will still be the speed.

#67296 - 04/26/02 02:51 PM Re: PC to PC calling
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
PC phone calling was what brought me into the computer age! One program that I have used for four years is www.vocaltec.com . It is very easy to learn and use. Another phone program that I own was made by Creative Labs. I think they are
www.creativelabs.com . It is SO difficult to use. I have never mastered it, but have answered calls on occasion. Anyway, I have really enjoyed the free phone calls to Spain and have chatted with numerous people and have found some very nice friends who I have later met while traveling.

I paid $50 for the vocaltec program, and I received the Creative Labs phone software free when I purchased a web cam. It was worth the expense.

#67297 - 04/26/02 04:19 PM Re: PC to PC calling
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have used MS Netmeeting but often got frustrated with the voice chats...with the sound being choppy. The choppiness was partly due to the connection speed and partly due to the traffic on the internet. There were times during the day where it was nearly impossible to get a connection with the server.

I now use yahoo instant messenger to voice and audio conference with my family back in the states. It´s free and I am quite pleased with the quality!

#67298 - 04/26/02 09:38 PM Re: PC to PC calling
LW Offline

JDR, with MSN messenger, I only use it to chat, because with a router, and even opening ALL my ports, it still will not work with the Audio, so I had given up on that a long time ago, unless you have some secrets tips hiding up your sleeves wink ...

Antonio, thanks for the info and the link. I will definitely check that out. And if I find a good software out there, I will surely post it here at a later date, since it will probably take time to find one, and also test for a time..(to make sure it was not beginners luck wink )

Sofia, Thanks for that link! I will try that one first, since I would also LOVE to use the PC(me) to phone(him, since he is not always near a computer) program, so thanks for testing it out for me laugh (and everyone else, of course wink )

AND Chica, I think that is the problem we have, with his connection being so bad there sometimes frown . And on yahoo, we do get thru sometimes(even tho it's choppy sometimes, BUT for some reason, yahoo always locks up on me, and I had tried uninstalling it, and installing it again, and still the same problem mad , so we use that as our last-need to save money-resort.
And I thank you all for helping me here, so SMILE laugh , you all deserve it! (hey, it doesn't hurt to smile :p )

#67299 - 04/27/02 05:17 AM Re: PC to PC calling
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
LittleWing, I don't think you can make PC to phone calls (US -> Spain). I've heard of websites offerinig the opposite (anywhere -> US).

By the way, before you go and pay for a software like this, tell me about it.

#67300 - 04/27/02 03:38 PM Re: PC to PC calling
JDR Offline

Little Wing :
Since I am not connected thru a router, I've not experienced many problems communicating PC to PC via MSN Messenger. The only time pixelated video or choppy voice has been seen was when the internet connection speed slowed down drastically.
Oh, I should mention that both I & those with whom I communicate use Windows XP software.
My present cable connection speed is usually excellent : 2100 kbps down/ 475 kbps up. In Spain my contacts have a 125 kbps down limitation. (Although I understand you can pay a higher monthly fee there to get faster downloads!)
I have tried yahoo but got better results with MSN.

#67301 - 04/28/02 12:33 AM Re: PC to PC calling
LW Offline

Thanks Antonio, and I will definitely tell you about it first before I go further.

And JDR, can someone in Spain get a faster download connection without getting DSL or equivalent of that? or is it only for people that have that fast connection already?
Oh, I do not have Windows XP , and heard people having problems with that software, do you?
Anyway, thanks again smile

#67302 - 04/29/02 08:53 AM Re: PC to PC calling
JDR Offline

Little Wing :
You have to have the availability in your area of internet connections thru the telephone company DSL service or a cable TV company's internet service. They typically require payment of an installation fee & then a monthly service fee.

My experience with the ordinary "56k modem" internet connection via standard phone lines in Spain was giving me a download speed of only 18k. PC to PC voice connections with such a slow speed were impossible!

I've been running Windows XP for the last 6 months with no problems whatsoever. Since the original issue of the software, there have been numerous (free) upgrades.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments