Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67269 - 04/23/02 06:28 AM Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
The two greatest Spanish football teams (ie two of the greatest, and richest, in the world) face each other tonight (23rd April) in the first leg of the European Cup (Champions League) semi-final. Its apparently the first time they've met in a European game for 40 years! The atmosphere wil be absolutely incredible, and pretty much the entire nation will be watching (what I would give to be there!). For the Spanish, this is the REAL final!

On Sunday, the British paper The Observer published a very interesting article on the rivalry between the two teams (ie. between the two cities!). It's turned up on the net, and I recommend it, even if you have little interest in European footbal.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Champions_League/Story/0,5764,687864,00.html

#67270 - 04/23/02 07:35 AM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
What time is "kick off" wink and is it in Barcelona or Madrid? I'm sure many will be trying to find the game on internet radio. Does anyone yet know which 'net radio station is carrying it? Thanks for the tip! I need to prepare something on the website for this. This is BIG!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67271 - 04/23/02 08:00 AM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
OLE-OLE-OLE-OLE!

This is going to be a great game. My wife and I are both getting into Spanish soccer. She used to hate "fútbol", having lived here and seen more than a few drunk soccer-nuts (probably an ex-boyfriend, but she won't come clean) but now she's into it with me and we both enjoy a good match. My preference is definitely for the Champions League games, but we try to catch the Madrid games when we can.

Tonight's match could be a bloodbath. Both Madrid and Barça were fined recently for their fans throwing crap at the opposite team (in Barcelona, a player was hit by fireworks). The Guardian article talks about people throwing what ever was handy including their mobile phones at Figo after he switched teams in 2000... what a laugh. Actually, he's not going to be able to play tonight because he was yellow-carded during the last game for bitching at a ref... (I'm pretty sure. Some correct me if I'm wrong).

That Guardian article is definitely a good intro to the Madrid-Barça rivalry. I've found soccer-spain.com to be invaluable for a good overview of Spanish soccer as a whole in English. Trying to read the local reports doesn't give you a lot of background because the writers assume too many things that I wouldn't know.

I'm really looking forward to the World Cup matches. I was backpacking in Europe during the last WorldCup in 1998 and it was nuts to be in say Italy when they won a match. I made sure I was in Paris for the final game and it was awesome. When France won, a million of us walked up the Champs d'Elysee to the Arc du Trimph to celebrate. Generally insane...

From what I've read, Spain's chances aren't super, but they should be able to get out of the first round pretty easily. If the U.S. comes in LAST again this year, I may snap though...

4 years already? Wow... I'm getting old.

-Russ

#67272 - 04/23/02 08:27 AM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
MM - it's in Barcelona (Camp Nou), kick-off at 20:45 Spanish time. I'm trying to find somewhere to watch it in the UK, as it's on a subscription sport channel which is only available on a digital service which appears to have gone broke! It's pathetic!

!Hombre, como gane el Real Madrid...! The city's going be one all night party. LiM, you'll have to tell us all how it was!

#67273 - 04/23/02 10:22 AM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I think Real will 'dar la paliza' to Barcelona tonight. However, since I can't stand Barça, GOOD. laugh

#67274 - 04/23/02 01:09 PM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I hope this isn't too late for everyone, but the game is being televised on ESPN2 live! At least on my cable network (DirectTV). Check out your local listings, and GO MADRID!

B.K.

#67275 - 04/23/02 01:21 PM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Anyone know yet which internet radio station will be covering it? Would it be Radio Nacional de España, maybe? Or Onda Cero or one of the Barcelona stations? Maybe SEVERAL will be covering it. In fact, there's a possibility that you'll be able to watch it on one of the two internet television stations. If anyone finds which link is the RIGHT one on MadridMan\'s Spain Radio, TV, Music, & Movies page, please return here and let us know. Thanks! "Kick Off" (hehehe.. wink ) is in about 1 hour.

Go Real Madrid!!! Woo Hoo!! Saludos, MadridMan laugh

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67276 - 04/23/02 04:45 PM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Madrid WON! 0-2 !!!

WHOOOHOOOO!!!

You would not believe how lucky Los Merengues were. Barça spent the whole game attacking and had two dozen good opportunities to score at least. But a goal from Zidane early in the second half and my man McManaman in the last 2 minutes puts Barcelona in some serious trouble when they come to Madrid... I think they'd have to score 4 goals in order to go to Glasgow...

-Russ

#67277 - 04/23/02 07:52 PM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

WOO HOO!!!! Shame I couldn't listen for myself. frown But what great news!!!

#67278 - 04/23/02 07:54 PM Re: Real Madrid v. Barcelona tonight - Observer article
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
Yeah, Barca needs 4 to get through to the final - which seems highly unlikely. Living in Edinburgh, I can't wait for the game to come to Glasgow - not that there's much chance of getting tickets - but I can sit in a pub and pretend I'm in Madrid (if I close my eyes and imagine very, very hard). Good to hear Stevie Mac scored final goal. Been a big fan of his for so long and was chuffed to bits to see him play live last year. He's worked really hard to get his place back. Now, if there is a God, Manchester United will lose tomorrow night . . . rolleyes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments