Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67260 - 04/15/02 10:34 PM Almodovar discussion anyone??
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Hola,

I'm finishing up my senior spanish project on the movida, historical memory, identity, and family image based on three almodovar movies(la ley del deseo, carne tremula, and todo sobre mi madre) I just love almodovar movies and was wondering if anyone would like to discuss and of the themes in his movies or just his movies in general??

Chris

#67261 - 04/15/02 10:52 PM Re: Almodovar discussion anyone??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I just searched this forum and found the following Almodóvar-related topics:

" Spanish films in Madrid "

" Almodovar Movies "

" Todo sobre mi madre "

" Favorite Spanish films "

Happy Discussing!! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67262 - 04/15/02 11:14 PM Re: Almodovar discussion anyone??
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Carne tremula/Live flesh, WOW, that was my first vision of "live" Spain before visiting.
It didn't help that much as I still experienced a big culture shock. However, I still appreciate the first birthing scene with cruz. That was intense, that did give me a little intro to the Spanish passion......which still, I have to admit, grabs and mystifies me; kind of of like Almadovar movies.

#67263 - 04/16/02 07:35 AM Re: Almodovar discussion anyone??
miche_dup1 Offline

Buenas
I just love Almodovar and talking about his films
I first saw women on the verge... as a teen what can I say - for some its the 'Rocky Horror show', others 'The sound of Music'!! for me any film in Spanish hits that spot.
Did you like 'Flor de mi secreto'?

#67264 - 04/16/02 10:17 AM Re: Almodovar discussion anyone??
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Believe me, not all Spanish people relate to Almodovar's portraits of our society, actually, I'd say not even the majority of people do. (Just my opinion).
I'm not a big fan of his work, although I like the guy, he's quite witty and definetely a great "salesman"; but I only like 'Mujeres....'(Women on the verge....),'¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto?, and 'Atame'.
I did not like 'Todo sobre mi madre', and I recently saw his last one 'Hable con ella' and would only recommend it to his many die-hard fans.
To me, he doesn't represent the generality of us. I compare him to Woody Allen; would you say his characters represent North American society as a whole?
The two of them usually work with their same group of "buddies", and "talk" about issues that concern or even obsess them, which is only natural; the difference to me is, we(Spanish, or Europeans) watch a lot of American films by many diverse directors so we're less likely to think that the average American is similar to what Woody shows us, whereas foreigners get to watch a limited sample of our movies, and the image that Almodovar gives from movie to movie varies very little addressing only a very specific part of this society.
Also, I think that in both cases, and in general, their comedies are way better than the "serious" films, which are plain boring and a little pretentious. (But, I'll always like Woody better, his humour is much more intelligent smile )

Saludos,

p

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2200 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments