MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67147 - 02/13/02 10:34 AM Seville study abroad article
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
The onion again -
http://www.theonion.com/onion3805/semester_abroad.html

Ok, it's not what study abroad SHOULD be, but I thought it was funny. My college 1989 summer in London was like this at times. (Remember, the onion is a satire newspaper!)

#67148 - 02/13/02 11:07 AM Re: Seville study abroad article
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Chicagoan, thanks so much for posting that link to that The Onion article. Too incredible, but believeable to a point.
Quote:
Blevins said he looks forward to gaining a taste of authentic Sevillian culture during the upcoming Semana Santa festival, an annual Holy Week celebration renowned for its religious significance and throngs of drunken tourists.
Wow! It wasn't my impression at all that there were "throngs of drunken tourists" in Sevilla when I was there for Semana Santa a few years ago. Seemed to be a VERY respectful and family-oriented event.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67149 - 02/13/02 11:09 AM Re: Seville study abroad article
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Sadly,

"The Onion" has projected an acurate image of many of the American students who are "studying" here. I see many, not all, but many making McDonald their prefered cuisine, and Irish pubs thier favourite wateringholes, of course they complain those expats speak funny. I am in Valladolid, not the preferred tourist destenation for most party minded Americans, so I can only imagine how genuine the Spanish experience is for those who "study" in Salamanca.

I could give countless examples how some of my classmates have decided to enjoy Spain, but here are just a few:

- Caranval in Tenerife, plenty of English speakers, making communication easier. Perhaps a visit to a English retirement community, to really be international.

- Long weekend trips to Marbella and Benidorm in order to interact with others sipping Jack and Cokes while complaining about Spanish cuisine, and those brutal bull fights.

- Attempts to endear themseleves with Spaniards, while using Mexican slang, ¿Qué ondas vato? ¿Qubóle huveón? they gets smile, for sure, but not from pleasure, but from bewilderment.

Just venting a little,
Shawn

#67150 - 02/13/02 12:13 PM Re: Seville study abroad article
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
yes, college students CAN be pretty stupid when it comes to things like that. Anyone who has been on a college overseas study program knows that that you have 2 kinds of students on those trips - the spoiled, "Im just using this as an excuse to party in a foreign setting (on my parents)" kids and the ones who are serious, and actually LEARN something. I like to think I was in the second category on my 1989 trip, and on every vacation I've taken since. But I had to laugh when it mentioned that Irish bar in Seville - because we went to one and it was FULL of American students studying for their exams.

And I'm still laughing about that other article about the couple that stumbles into the Spanish restaurant thinking it's Mexican...haha!

#67151 - 02/13/02 12:32 PM Re: Seville study abroad article
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
For Mr. Blevin's sake - I hope to gawd he's using an alias! eek

#67152 - 02/13/02 09:52 PM Re: Seville study abroad article
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Sad, but true in places! I always thank my lucky stars my American traveling companion and I met (you can read: "were picked up by" if you prefer) a couple of really fabulous Spanish guys (and their group of friends--both male and female) during my semester in Spain. My evenings were in little bars with all Spaniards, or at summer verbenas, or at the pool with a group of Spanish friends, or shopping with "las chicas," etc. It really is the responsibility of the student to GET OUT of the dorms/bars and away from all the other people in University sweatshirts.

There are much cheaper ways to hang out in bars with Americans.

But in defense of some students, it can be hard to break away from what's easy and comfortable. I know it took a phone call from my mother, back in the States, to get me to go out, smile at some Spanish people, and make friends. Ultimately, I ended up with some great friends and some priceless experiences!

#67153 - 02/16/02 06:31 PM Re: Seville study abroad article
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I think (I hope) I fall into that second category of students as well. When I studied here while in college(some 14 years ago yikes!) I was bound and determined to stay away from the other American girls on my program whose primary mission while here in Spain was to go to a bar, get drunk and picked up by a hapless (or not so hapless) Spaniard. I made great friends through my intercambios which totally prepared me for my move to Valencia.

In Valencia, I made friends with wonderful folks who I am still in touch with today! One friend and his fiance even flew to the USA last spring for our wedding! We have since gone to theirs and hope to see them in a couple of weeks.

It saddens me when I think of the wonderful opportunities students have when they study abroad and many just throw those opportunities away! frown

#67154 - 02/16/02 08:10 PM Re: Seville study abroad article
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Chica, it makes me sad too, because once "real life" catches up with you (job, kids, house, etc.), it gets harder and harder to find time to explore those kinds of new friendships. While in Spain, my friends and I just hung around talking most of the time--in bars, at the pool, in the plaza, wherever.

Taking the time to really get to know people is a luxury few of us have once we're out of school and busily working (though that's a thing I think Europeans do better than Americans, in many cases--making time to foster and develop rich friendships even when they are busy).

Anyway, I agree with you, and I hope any potential students who take the time to hang out here for a while will realize what a great opportunity they have!

Tara smile

#67155 - 02/22/02 03:20 AM Re: Seville study abroad article
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
You know - I laughed when I read the article, but it is all too true. In my own experience with a year abroad, I swore before I went that I wouldn't let that happen to me, and for the first six months I did pretty well. I lived with Spaniards, had spanish friends and tried to steer clear of the American bars. What was a bit of a turning point for me was when I began having trouble recruiting them for trips away for the weekends, or for the holiday, they, of course, had to study because they weren't just there on holiday like the American kids were! And, sometimes, they are just jaded to the Spanish environment that we find so appealing. So for the next six months, I stopped fighting it as much and mixed with the American crew a bit more, and I'll tell you it was a totally different experience.

For one, I was always translating for them, because none of them had learned a damn thing, and another, I had a much better understanding of the city and the culture. But the American crew sure was always up for a good time. I think that there are few times in life where you can be with a group of your peers in a totally uninhibited environment - this meaning: no old friends or family to question your actions, no preconcieved notions of each other, very few consequences as far as school work, and no permanence (Spain today, home next month or two). And while this does lead to some of the "Ugly American" scenes we are all too familiar with, it also gave me some of the most incredible experiences that I never would have had otherwise. There were many moments that were special to us precisely because we weren't spanish, and things we were able to share because we hadn't been jaded to them yet.

So while I don't condone the way most American students in Spain spend their time away, I can tell you that a healthy mixture to the the two extremes produces a fun and beneficial experience as well.

B.K. smile

#67156 - 02/22/02 01:35 PM Re: Seville study abroad article
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have to agree with you Bocata. In my case, it was the reverse. First semester I bonded with a lot of the American students, and other nationalities studying abroad in Salamanca, with a handful of Spanish friends. Second semester I made a lot more Spanish friends and deepened existing fiendships. I valued the bonding that happened with the American students and Spaniards. Those relationships contributed to it being, without a doubt, the best year of my life.

Although I led a lifestyle at the time that I wouldn't want to repeat, I am grateful that I had a time in my life when I could totally let go, and not worry about what other people thought. That was a rather nice gift (even if I did embarass myself a few time - not too much though). :p

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments