Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67111 - 01/28/02 07:20 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I've just logged off of the Fotos site (it really is incredible) and would like to ask the Madrilenos here if there is more than the normal amount of construction and renovating going on in Madrid right now? I still can't get over how so many streets have scaffolding and large waste bins next to the buildings.

I will also mention that after browsing the streets I have been most intrigued by the La Latina district. It just seems to have a style to it that I like - so Spanish and medieval looking and not overly rundown looking (although I've always liked a bit of peeling paint atmosphere New Orleans style)-with the elusive corners that would surprise you when strolling. There seems to be a lot of greenery with trees and exotic looking shrubs around every corner. Is this a safe area to hangout (day and night)? What about the bar scene here - not big dance clubs but intimate bars where one can feel at home and chill out?

Dargus
Who still hasn't froze to death in this prairie cold spell!

#67112 - 01/28/02 08:43 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
dargus, everyone here knows I'm no Spaniard (UNFORTUNATELY!! $#@%*&! mad ), but it seems MOST of those photos taken for the above site were in, probably, August, when MANY Spaniards take holiday/vacation which would explain why many streets are devoid of any traffic.

This, being the HEIGHT of summer, is also the perfect time for obras/renovations and so that's probably why you see SO much scaffolding. Still, like most cities, the summer months are when MOST of the renovations take place. Better to PRESEVE than NOT! smile

Saludos, MadridMan (going on his 5th??? glass of Spanish wine)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67113 - 01/28/02 08:58 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, MM, have a glass for me...

I also noticed that many of the shops were closed up (had the metal doors down), so many of the photos must have been taken either early in the morning (would that work with the light? probably in summer...) or during siesta.

Not drunk like MM, just bored and procrastinating--
Tara :p

#67114 - 01/28/02 09:32 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Tara,

As I waded through various addresses I wanted to see, it seemed like the shadows indicated all hours of the day, but most likely before 10 AM, and/or after 4 PM. That tells me they probably were shot on Sunday mornings. A logical time where people aren't out and about too much, but definitely in summer, based on the length of grass, and the trees.

What I wonder about most is how many people were involved in the project, and how long it took. It had to be an enormous undertaking, and the coordination by addresses to the shots taken had to be a nightmare.

Wolf (Playing Sherlock Holmes - wink )

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Wolf ]

#67115 - 01/28/02 09:37 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Yeah, Wolf, the thought of keeping those photos organized properly is mindboggling. I imagine the person with the digital camera had to be coding them to a map or something, but given how confused I got as I clicked on the "turn around" button or on the "subir" and "bajar" buttons over and over again... well, I'm impressed!

#67116 - 01/28/02 09:46 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

<hick!> :o rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67117 - 01/28/02 09:59 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

So do people in Spain still use the expression "estar piripi" to describe MadridMan's current condition?
:p

Y como se dice "hiccups" en español? rolleyes

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#67118 - 01/28/02 11:10 PM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
Tramontana Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
laugh laugh laugh Piripi and majara!!! and so am I!!!! You are a generous person, MM!!!! smile smile smile What a great present!!!! wink wink

#67119 - 01/29/02 02:07 AM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi!

Wrong thread, I know, but MMan started it!(just kidding)
Hiccups=hipo

We do say estar pirípi, but also:
Borrachera, melopea, cogorza, merluza, castaña, ciego, pedo, pedal, estar bolinga, tajada, mierda(sorry!), colocón(from drugs also), estar ebrio, sufrir intoxicación etílica(ha,ha!), etc, etc, etc....

These are all the definitions I can think of at 8AM!

#67120 - 01/29/02 09:36 AM Re: Virtually walk through Madrid!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Oh brother! What have I done? hehehe.. Hey! I'm totally sober (now), okay?! rolleyes

SO! Back to QDQ.com's foto-every-20-meters site , isn't it fantastic? I was strolling through the streets of my ladyfriend's neighborhood, saw some of the bars I like there, then down the hill of Paseo de Extremadura and looked over my shoulder at the bottom to see one of my favorite neighborhood bars (Rincon de la Noia), crossed the Río Manzanares with that WONDEFUL view of the Palacio Real & La Almudena & the dome of the San Francisco El Grande, then UP the hill of Calle de Segovia, passing under the Aquaducto arch and now.... now... you're entering OLD Madrid. Mmmmmm... Continuing up the narrow, winding street, you eventually reach... the Plaza del Puerta Cerrada (THIS is where I typically get the bus to go "home" when I'm in Madrid) and Casa Paco... or the plaza JUST below the entrance to the Plaza Mayor on Calle de los Cuchilleros. Turn around and go back down Cuchilleros, cross Calle de Segovia, and now you're on the Cava Baja.... :p .... MY GOD this site puts me in heaven. smile

Wow! QDQ.com must be REALLY new! I plugged it into www.Google.com and got NOTHING!

Enjoy! Saludos, MadridMan

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1615 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments