MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67065 - 12/14/01 04:59 PM Spanish bumper stickers
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
There were references to bumper stickers in some other posts and I started wondering what Spanish bumper stickers you all might have on your cars.
I have a very simple Spanish flag on mine. The reason I find it interesting, is because of the recent surge of patriotism here in the U.S. with flag waving. I don't have an American flag on my car, but don't want to appear unpatriotic with another country's flag on my car. I guess, before 9-11, it was not a big deal, now I am just a bit more self-conscious of the red and yellow on my back bumper. How about you?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: laduque ]

#67066 - 12/15/01 08:14 PM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
An interesting dilemma. I would hope it would not be a problem.

Americans are not as one-dimensional as our stereotype. Spain enjoys such an exotic and favorable opinion among most all Americans I can't imagine anyone giving you any problems. I should cut this short because we're here to talk about Spain, but I will say I had the same issue regarding the American flag, and what some call "flag-waving." I will pledge to it, I respect what it symbolizes, BUT I strongly believe I don't need a flag-sticker on my car to feel patriotic.

I was overwhelmed by the patriotic and unifying force we experienced after 9-11, but I finally realized I didn't need to advertise my loyalty for this country.

I say keep your Spanish flag and display it proudly.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: JJP ]

#67067 - 12/22/01 08:36 AM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have an oval Spanish flag bumper sticker on my car. I'm not worried about it at all. Actually, I keep hoping I'll run into (figuratively speaking!) someone who will recognize it and strike up a great conversation on Spain like we do here!

The only time the bumper sticker was actually referred to was when a Spanish family drove across several states to find our house for a visit. Their conversation on arrival went something like this (but in Spanish):

Are you sure this is the right house?

How could it not be? There's a Spanish flag on the car!

I guess I agree with JJP - I don't feel the need to advertise my loyalty to the US, and I'm surrounded by millions of people who love America. But I do feel the need to find people who love Spain! And then there's the problem that people don't even know that it's a Spanish flag... rolleyes

#67068 - 12/22/01 09:04 AM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I have a "chrome" http://www.MadridMan.com stuck to the trunk of my car and I often catch people in my rear view mirror squinting, trying to read what it is/says.

I intend to get some real bumper stickers, including the white oval one mentioned above, but understand they're hard to find. I even have a request to buy a "Toro Bravo" sticker (the "BIG BLACK BULL") and will get one for myself.

I leave the office for Madrid in ONE HOUR!! WOO HOO!! Check out my last image on MadridMan's Live Cam , holding up my holding up my passport.

(don't you hate it when people start all their paragraphs with the word/letter "I"?!)

Happy Holidays! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67069 - 12/23/01 12:18 AM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
MadridMan,

I hate that too.

I always try to find other words to start my paragraphs with, but . .

I really do hope that your time in Madrid is everything you could hope for and more.

I was wondering if you brought a ring with you this time????

B.K.

#67070 - 12/23/01 07:37 PM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
My hubby- who's Madrileno- HAD (he recently just totalled his car)the bull bumper sticker, the big "E" the "EC" and two Spanish flags. Needless to say, they are all gone. Lucky for him though, he just got back from SPain and brought home more!

And Diana, a funny thing happened to me due to someone recognizing our bumper stickers..at the apartment complex we used to live in a girl, my age from Barcelona who is married to an American guy who lived in Madrid for 6 years noticed our bumper stickers and came up knocking on our door. She introduced herself and we started up a two hour conversation...that was nearly 4 years ago and we're still great friends! It was really quite magical!

And YES! I too thought after 9-11 that having a Spanish flag on the car would be weird, but I'm not just peeling it off...I guess I'll just have to wait until my hubby totals another car! (OOPS!)

Tracy

#67071 - 01/01/02 05:14 AM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
JJP Offline

MM, Thanks for your subtle critique on the excessive use of "I." (hmm, I think I remember my third-grade teacher very well frown ) Didn't know the submissions were graded for grammatical etiquette... Thanks for your attempt to raise our standards. wink

#67072 - 01/01/02 01:42 PM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I agree with JJP, I donīt feel the need to have an American flag flying anywhere or stuck to my car to feel patriotic. I have, however, since 9-11, added an American flag gif to my email signature.

In fact, when I came home from studying in Spain, for years I had an I LOVE SPAIN bumper sticker on my car. And my father for many years had a Philippine flag sticker on his car (he is Filipino), yet he is the most patriotic American I know.

By the way Diana, where in Pennsylvania do you live? My family lives in St. Davids/Villanova! If only I ever spotted your car while I was there!! cool

I have to add...for as UNPATRIOTIC as the Spanish press says that Spaniards are, I see a heck of alot of a cars here with that infamous TORO stuck to the back. Didnīt we come to the conclusion in other threads that that bull somehow represents Spanish pride??
wink Now they canīt ALL be us crazy Americans who have fallen in love with Spain...can they?? rolleyes rolleyes

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Chica ]

#67073 - 01/01/02 02:25 PM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Chica, I'm in West Chester. We just don't see any Spanish bumper stickers here! At least we now have an excellent Spanish restaurant here, owned by a Sevillano, so we're getting there.

I was in your old neighborhood for the first time about two months ago to see a soccer match. (My son, a true madrileņo, is a futbolista.) It's very nice. If you ever come back this way for a visit, perhaps we can arrange a dinner, or meet to swap stories!

#67074 - 01/01/02 10:58 PM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
JJP Offline

Chica: Very good and interesting point about Spanish transplants here in the US. I too have heard Spaniards discuss the deflation of strong nationalistic feelings after Franco died.

Any Madrileņos or Spanish in general want to coment on Spanish symbols, sources of pride, and if you think nationalism is still strong (to me it obviously is alive and strong, but my observation is that it somewhat beyond all the blatant patriotic icons - is this true?)?

Many of my Spanish friends have a flag or toro negro on their car. Chica, I think you're on to something wink ... laugh

#67075 - 01/02/02 06:28 PM Re: Spanish bumper stickers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Diana, I would love to get together with you the next time I am "home". My husband and I are planning on a visit sometime late winter early spring...so I will definitely let you know. Right now we l

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments